“Beware the noisy pub”

Macdonald New Blossoms Hotel
Ranked #26 of 45 Hotels in Chester
Reviewed 18 September 2012

I stayed for one night in early September on a business trip.

There is a very noisy pub on one side of the hotel. So noisy that I had to change rooms at 3.30am to get away from it. I normally sleep through anything and it is the first time I have ever changed rooms due to noise. I understood from the very bleary conversation I had with the on duty staff that the hotel is currently in court with the pub about the noise nuisance so it must have been going on for some time. They moved me to a very nice quiet room and gave me a discount off my bill but by then the damage had been done. If you are going to stay here make sure it is on the side of the hotel away from the pub.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank tim200

Reviewed 15 September 2012

My husband and I stayed here on the 7th September 2012. The staff were very helpful, attentive and our room spotless. I would definately stay again. The only thing I would comment negatively on is the car park which you have to walk to and pay £10 but it is in the City centre and parking in Chester is pretty poor anyway. Thanks everyone

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 September 2012

Great location, and a nice room, would definitely choose the hotel again next time. Only real drawback was having to park in a public car park (5 mins walk) at £10 a day. Worth noting that the area can get lively on some nights, but the staff made sure that we were aware of this and went to great lengths to make sure that we got a room that we were happy with.

Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 September 2012

Overall the hotel decor and cleanliness was good. But the ensuite was so small you literally could not turn round in it. With older buildings you do get limitations but if the room is too small don't put a bath in it, make do with just a shower.

Was woken with a crowd leaving a pub at 2.45am and noise continued until after 3.30am. The next morning music started in a nearby club at 9.00 am and continued solid. No idea what was going on.

Room Tip: The hotel seems to be having problems with a nearby club having a 24 hour music license. Don't s...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 September 2012

Me and my husband stayed at the hotel for 2 nights. During that time we found the staff to be friendly attentive and helpful.Reception staff always greeted guests as they entered or left hotel. Rooms were clean and well furnished - even though in City centre and room on the front street noise not an issue. The hotel was in a great location for sightseeing and shopping-didn't need to walk far for anything. Had dinner in hotel 1st night. Food and service was excellent at both dinner and breakfast. Would definately stay at New Blossoms again

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 August 2012 via mobile

This was our second visit to the hotel and once again we were not disappointed. The hotel is in excellent location, within walking distance to all the great things to see and do in Chester. Rooms were clean and comfy, our room was at the front of the hotel and although you can hear noises from outside it never disturbed us, it seemed to be louder in the day than it was during the night and we stayed for bank holiday weekend! staff always attentive and polite, and food was lovely at both breakfast and evening meal. Could not fault it and would definately recommend.

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed 28 August 2012

Found the hotel to be very deserving of it's 4* rating; clean, tidy, modern.
Staff were very welcoming and friendly.
I booked the trip through the hotel, as part of A Chester Zoo experience, with evening meal and breakfasts included, along with 2 chester zoo tickets for me and my partner.

When we were about to get on the bus to go to the zoo, we realised the tickets we had been given were actually for 'children/concession'. Luckily, we realised before we got the zoo, and decided it'd be best to pay for the tickets at the entrance and sort the refund out later. Although this little mix up happened, it did not ruin our trip.

The restuarant meal was beautiful, a nice choice of dishes, drinks, and the food itself was devine and very filling.

The only thing I noticed with the hotel itself, was that the shower in our room took a long time to heat up, and didn;t seem to become hot, unless you ran the bath tap first. The tower rail also took a long time to heat up, so would advise future guests to turn on the rail well in advance to your bath/shower.
Also, the seal on the shower screen had come away in our room, and so the water was dripping onto the floor, so we have made staff aware of this.

I would suggest that if you are after accomodation that is in quiet surroundings, this hotel probably isn't the best choice, being central to the town of Chester. I found it to be quite noisy of a night, but that didn't bother me.

Room Tip: it seems from my experience and from reading previous reviews, to be aware that rooms on the second...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple