“MacDonald Chester. A place where your irrelevant as a guest”

Macdonald New Blossoms Hotel
Ranked #25 of 44 Hotels in Chester
London
“MacDonald Chester. A place where your irrelevant as a guest”
Reviewed 30 June 2014

I paid for a double room at the MacDonald New Blossoms Chester Hotel, but tonight i'm sitting here at 10.30pm this evening watching the World Cup in one of their poor double rooms, where the tv is in a complete different room to the bedroom! Bizarre.

Even more bizarre is the response to my very polite request at reception soon after checking in - I was advised they or may not have other rooms! The general gist of conversation was the reception girl can't be bothered finding out and request is irrelevant to the manager. Well done MacDonald Chester, it's the small efforts that make a guest feel welcome. After a long day I won't complain directly, I just won't ever be staying at your hotel for business ever again.

Room Tip: Chester is absolutely lovely and there's many nice hotels near this hotel, your spoilt for choic...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Oceonblue
GM_Blossoms, General Manager at Macdonald New Blossoms Hotel, responded to this review, 12 July 2014
Dear Oceanblue

I would like to thank you for pacing a review upon trip advisor and would like to apologise for our staff not actioning your request. I have investigated and I have found on that day we did not have any alternative rooms as we were fully booked, however I would like to mention this is by no means an excuse for the lack of customer service displayed to you.

Please do not hesitate to contacting me on general.blossoms@macdonald-hotels.co.uk

Kind regards

Ian Griebenow

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (298)
Lagos, Nigeria
Reviewed 29 June 2014

My husband and I recently stayed for four nights at this property, Sunday to Thursday.

The hotel is in a great location in Central Chester and you can drive directly to the the entrance in order to drop luggage, however this may not be so easy to locate if you are unfamiliar with the City. There are only stairs to the reception and no immediately visible doorman to help you if you have heavy or multiple items.

Parking is available in the nearby Grosvenor Park Shopping Centre car park at a daily discounted rate of GBP 9.00.

Check in was smooth, polite and professional receptionist and we were allocated a room on the first floor overlooking the street.
Due to the old nature of the building if you have luggage access to some of these rooms is not easy. There is a small lift, but there can be many stairs up and down meandering around the small corridors.

Our room was nice with beautiful leaded windows and relatively well equipped but no fridge or air conditioning however a free standing fan was provided.

The bathroom was down a few steps and large but without windows. It was an odd shape and rather impersonal with a shower and no bath although designed differently I am sure that one could have been accommodated.

My complaint which granted is outside of the hotels control is the noise from revellers that we certainly experienced on Sunday and Monday nights (prior to moving rooms).
This was from about 1.30am until at least 4.00am with shouting, fighting and vomiting in the street below our window.
My husband is from Chester and was saddened to witness this type of behaviour, it is a shame that such venues are permitted to operate within the historic city walls.
The room did have a double window which helped to block out the noise, however as it was warm weather it was necessary to have the windows open for air as the single fan was insufficient for cooling.

The following morning we requested to be moved and and this was done and our following two nights were much more comfortable and peaceful. Our new room was 102.

The Manager explained that the noise from the clubs is an issue and a problem that they are aware of and are in discussion with lawyers and the City to try and resolve this.
He also advised that some rooms would in the future be fitted with air conditioning and/or secondary windows.
We were happy with the way in which our complaint was dealt with and the gesture of a complimentary bottle of wine was appreciated.
I suspect that this is a problem that affects all city centre hotels, however having air conditioning would enable a comfortable nights sleep without the necessity of opening the windows.

Often it is the way in which complaints are handled that separate the standard of hotel and competence of the staff.

Prior to this visit we had stayed at this hotel and would do so again, but only if a quiet room could be guaranteed.

Both rooms were spotlessly clean, toiletries were provided together with tea and coffee making facilities, bottled water and a Nespresso coffee maker. Fresh milk could be requested each morning.

Breakfast was served in the restaurant downstairs however I cannot comment as we did not eat there. In the evenings this is primarily a fish restaurant and the menu looked good but again we had plans to eat outside of the hotel.
There is a nice comfortable bar to the to the side of the lobby.

Overall this is a nice older charming property and convenient for visiting central Chester, however based on our recent experience I would certainly choose your room carefully and consider the necessity of being directly in the City centre.

Room Tip: Choose a room away from the street to minimise noise if the windows have to be opened.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 June 2014

Fantastic central location which would be hard to beat.
Service was excellent, including providing afternoon cream tea that I could eat (I have Coeliac Disease and can't eat gluten).
Spotlessly clean and very friendly staff.
Nice room and comfy bed.
Breakfast was great - good selection of hot, cold, fruit, cereals etc.
Marked as excellent value as we got a deal, booking direct with the hotel, for two nights B&B with afternoon cream tea for two. Many B&Bs were about the same price as this hotel deal! Check what deals the hotel can offer.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kenny_Alison
Rome, Italy
Reviewed 25 June 2014 via mobile

A hotel of medium quality but at a price of a luxury hotel... to be honest this hotel is not worth of what you pay...the staff is friendly and helpful the rooms are ok nothing of what you expect...unfortunately the breakfast is poor and of medium/low quality... it's annoying not having air conditioning but a fan in the the room... There is perhaps something with this standard but less expensive...I ve been there for business but I will not advice it to anyone...

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Caernarfon
Reviewed 23 June 2014 via mobile

We stayed here in May for our anniversary and it's located in a superb position only a minutes walk from the town walls.
Parking was easy and cheaper than I expected we parked in the Grosvenor shopping centre car park. It's about £10 for 24 hours when compared to most cities that's cheap, plus the hotel gave us 10% off that.
The room was lovely but a king size bed would have been nice but it was still very comfy.

The only reason we haven't rated it full marks is because when we were having a drink in the bar a waiter or supervisor walked in and proceeded to tell the bar maid off for being slow in front of about 10 guests.
Not only was that out of order it was very unprofessional and could be deemed as bullying and I truly don't think she was slow at all considering she was mixing cocktails.
Apart from that plonker all the staff were lovely and very helpful.
They even let us check in early.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
altrincham
Reviewed 21 June 2014

We stopped one night in June. We had 2 lovely rooms although getting to the loo was a bit of a squeeze in 110. On the bad side, I struggled up the steps with my luggage as there was no ramp and I had to shout for help before anyone helped me. Once inside the hotel everyone was very pleasant and helpful. The receptionist took my luggage to my room while I went up in the very small lift. Breakfast was good although there were no vegetarian sausages for my husband. The bar was nice with cocktail happy hour between 5-7pm. I would recommend this hotel and stop here again but please put a ramp up to pull cases up.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 June 2014 via mobile

With high expectations from the pictures we were slightly disappointed, the hotel itself was beautiful, the bar and bar man a credit, but breakfast was not included in the price which we weren't aware of until we arrived and didn't want to spend a further £25 on, our room was a decent size and had everything you need, nice curtains and clean bathroom but scruffy walls and not even a valance on the bed, the biggest disappointment was the terrible noise coming from outside, and with the warm weather we had no option but to have the window open making it even worse! The staff were pleasant but all in all our stay didn't feel like more than a budget hotel!

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
GM_Blossoms, General Manager at Macdonald New Blossoms Hotel, responded to this review, 28 June 2014
Dear LiWhJoSt

Thank you for placing a review on trip advisor. I would like to apologise for the noise from outside and our night staff do their best to try and reduce the noise by calling the police however due to personal safety they cannot deal with it themselves. I am happy to mention that we are in the process of installing airconditioning into the road facing rooms however this will not be completed until the September. I Have requested my maintenance manager to ensure that the room is repainted and I would like to thank you for bringing this to my attention.

I do hope that the experence has not marred you from returning to the Macdonald New Blossoms hotel and I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back.

Kind Regards