“Good break.”

Ranked #25 of 44 Hotels in Chester
Northumberland
“Good break.”
Reviewed 14 August 2009

Good service from the staff, lovely breakfast. As others have stated very hot in the bedrooms but we had requested a fan before arriving and there was one provided for each room.
The only down side was that a little more attention could be made whilst cleaning the rooms, not a major problem, a little dusty and 2 items in the drawers from the previous guests. Would return again.

Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
KHalewood, General Manager at Macdonald New Blossoms Hotel, responded to this review, 1 June 2010
We are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us at the hotel and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future. Thank you for writing a positive review.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (295)
glasgow
Reviewed 13 August 2009

My wife and I stayed here on Saturday night 8 August. We found the hotel to be really nice. Our room was to the front overlooking the town centre, but we had no problem with noise. Room was great (we were upgraded) and very well furnished.

We didn't dine at the hotel, but breakfast the next day was superb.

The staff on reception did look a bit under pressure, but everyone was very friendly, particulalry the lovely young people serving breakfast - cheery and helpful.

The location of the hotel for all amenties is absolutely superb - minimum walking distance to everything.

All in we thought this was a really good hotel and would recommend.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to welcoming you back in the future. Thank you for writing a positive review.
Manchester
Reviewed 5 August 2009

Having stayed in other Macdonald Hotels (my favourite being the one in the Lake district) I was expecting a certain level of professionalism and atmosphere (basically what Macdonald hotels are well known for), however all I got here was a sense of being in Fawlty Towers!
Arrived for check in and waited 15 minutes for the lady to get off the phone in the back and greet us. We arrived around 4pm, so would assume that our room would be ready for us, however, we were told it wasn't ready and put in the restaurant with a coffee until our room was ready (20mins later!). The receptionist's (who actually turned out to be the manager) overall manner was flustered and annoyed at having to be removed from other duties, however she did take our cases and explain the lift and pointed us in the right direction for our room on the 2nd floor (if somewhat aggresively)
We were in the back of the Hotel (as requested because of noise issues) and the room considering we waited extra time for it was no where near the usual macdonald standard. There was no water left in the room, the coffee cup looked used and there was dust on the sides and the bin hadn't been emptied. We asked to move (as if the room hadn't been cleaned what on earth would the bed sheets be like?) and were moved to a cleaner and ridiculously warm room (in fact the whole hotel is shockingly warm! this hotel is in dire need of air con and for a 4* should be standard!). Although done speedily the receptionist (who at this time revealed herself as the manager of the hotel as we were complaining) did so begrudgingly and was obviously highly put out (how she got to management with her attitude is beyond me!).
After our room was sorted and we had freshened up from our long journey, we hesitantly head down to the restaurant for dinner - and this was the highlight of our entire stay there.
The restaurant staff were incredibly helpful, and bubbly and the service was faultless. We were offered 50% off the entire menu because we dined between 5 and 7pm so things were already looking up, then we were greeted by a lovely smiley young lady from leciester who sat us down, explained everything to us, and made us forget our previous stresses of the day. We ordered the fish special and a rump steak and they both came out cooked to perfection and tasted amazing. The waitress and chef even threw in extra veg after hearing about our check in ordeal. Despite better judgement we ordered dessert too and weren't dissapointed...the brownies were heavenly and the creme brulee a real treat. So together with the wonderful service (our waitress who looked after us the entire time, suggested other hotspots in chester, was very chatty and understood our dissapointment saved the day!) and brilliant food, the Grille restaurant is the one thing that lets the Macdonald hotel deserve its 4*s!
The hotel staff (well in fact management) were apalling and unwelcoming, the hotel itself is unclean and too hot to stay in in comfort, however if anyone in chester is just looking for a nice meal in chester with a great atmosphere and wonderful welcoming staff I would suggest popping in to the Grille.

I will not be staying in the hotel again and it has put me off visiting other macdonalds, which is a shame as all the others I ahve stayed in are exceptional. I guess the New Blossoms is in fact the bad apple of the bunch!!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
Nottingham
Reviewed 14 July 2009

We booked this hotel through lastminute.com and only found out it's name once we'd booked. I immediately looked the New Blossoms up on tripadvisor and was initially a bit nervous that I'd got a bad deal (2 nights room only for just over £100 for two people), but it turned out ok.

We travelled at the end of June during the heatwave. I had contacted the hotel in advance asking for a quiet room having read comments on tripadvisor that some of the rooms can be affected by street noise. We were given a nice room at the back of the hotel on the 2nd floor. Very quiet but also *very* hot. I rang reception to ask if they had a fan and about an hour later one was brought to the room in its box - it looked brand new and I think they may have gone out to get it for us! The room was nicely decorated although quite small. The bed was a standard double rather than queen or king sized. Bathroom was a good size and was clean.

We didn't eat at the hotel but the restaurant looked nice enough. There were loads of places to eat nearby - from little cafes and tearooms to have breakfast or cake, to nice restaurants for dinner. We ate one night at the Blackhouse Grill just down the road from the hotel and had a lovely meal. There are also plenty of places to get a drink nearby.
The hotel is very central in Chester and is about 50 yards away from the famous clock on the city walls.

We parked at an NCP a few minutes down the road. One thing worth noting is that you can get a cheap rate if you are staying at the hotel (£7.50 per day), but you have to ask at reception and then they will validate your parking ticket when you leave the hotel and then you just use it to get out of the carpark as normal. They only told us this when we asked at reception and I did wonder if it was to save the hotel money?

Cheshire Oaks is not far off for a good day out shopping. We also visited Chester Zoo and an ice cream farm.

Overall we were pleased with the hotel - the only problem we had was the heat which was pretty unbearable in the room at times, but it's an old hotel with no air-con so I don't think they would have been able to do much about it if they wanted to! They did provide a fan on request which helped a bit. I think for the money we paid, it was a pretty good deal, but I did see a sign on the wall quoting £180 ish for a room for one night, which I don't think was good value.
To sum up - worth a visit if you can get a cheap deal.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
We are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to welcoming you back in the future. Thank you for writing a positive review.
London
Reviewed 14 July 2009

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Blossoms for a long weekend in May. I had read previous reviews about parking in Chester so we parked in a multi-storey and then found the hotel on foot. The location is fantastic – right in the centre of the city! Check-in was ok and we were put in room 308. It was a very warm day and so we were surprised to find our heater on. We switched it off and opened the windows before heading out for a meal and to explore. When we returned, the heater was still on and the room was unbearably hot. We called reception and they sent someone up to look at the radiator. He did what we did and told us to give it time to cool down. We were really tired and it was late so we thought we’d sleep with the windows open and deal with it in the morning. What we didn’t realise was there was a nightclub opposite the hotel. We got woken up at 3am by screaming, shouting and police sirens outside. It didn’t stop until after 6am when the club shut – this was on a Thur night! We thought we could either shut the windows and roast in our room or keep them open and deal with the noise – we chose the latter. We got hardly any sleep and so at 8am the following morning we asked to be moved. They said a room would be ready later so we packed our stuff and went out for the day. When we returned, they had moved our things to the room opposite – 309 – which was at the back of the hotel. Not only was the room larger (and infinitely cooler), but we were able to spend the rest of our time there with the windows open and not hear a thing! I would consider staying there again if I could be guaranteed a room at the back of the hotel as the staff were helpful and the location is fantastic. One tip, on check-out when our parking ticket was validated, the receptionist said we had to be out of the carpark in 20mins. This isn’t true as we put our luggage in the car, had a final wander round Chester and had a gorgeous Sunday lunch at Upstairs at The Grill before we decided to drive home and our ticket still worked!

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank darkangel78
We are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us overall and look forward to welcoming you back in the future. I regret that your heating was not working efficiently and you were disturbed by the noise in the city streets. However, I am grateful that you were satisfied with the resolution you were given by the team during your stay. Thank you for writing this review.
staffordshie
Reviewed 29 June 2009

Visited Chester for my daughters 21st birthday stayed one night at the: Macdonald New Blossoms Hotel, Chester, rooms were clean and spaciouse, breakfast was excellent staff very helpful would stay there again

• Stayed June 2009, travelled on business
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 May 2009

We stayed here last week for 2 days, i was a bit wary after the experience we had in manchester, but i thought, be fair and lets see. the hotel is well located right on the town centre,Check in was fine. although, i noticed that if you paid your bill using a credit card they added £2 on to the bill. (why is it macdonald hotels always seem to be sqeezing the last penny out of customers?) the room was ok, nothing special, not many tv channels, clean.
the resturant was good and the food was nice with a wide menu and very well presented.
The breakfast was fine, although very expensive with everything individualy priced, i.e. £4.50 for a bacon roll.
The real let down was the 2nd night. I was very late back after a meeting, it was just before 11pm and i knew the restuarnt would be closed but thought, ill get a few sandwiches and some soup off the 24hour menu in my room. when i asked the receptionist for some sandwiches, i was told there were none and nothing was prepared in the kitchen as the night porter wasnt in yet.
when he did arrive he tried to put me off stating he had a cold and i wouldnt want him to do me a sandwich. clearly neither wanted to make me a sandwich. after my insistance, he finally gave in and told me he only had ham. i was too tired to argue , so i accepted that. now in a hotel that charges £200 per room walk up i think this is pretty bad.
otherwise id have reccomended this hotel,but on that basis i cant.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled on business
The hotel catering units were managed by a third part between Oct 08 and Sep 09. I can confirm that this is no longer the case and the hotel now runs the catering unit themselves. I would be delighted if you gave us another opportunity to prove this no longer represents our hotel. Please call me should you wish to give us another chance.