“Fine for Business, great service from reception”

Macdonald New Blossoms Hotel
Ranked #21 of 44 Hotels in Chester
GreenLeadersBronze level
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Fine for Business, great service from reception”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2011

Whilst staying I made a couple of requests from reception re luggage, use of the fridge for medicine and to order room service, the staff on reception couldn't do enough to help. The room was fairly small but was clean, some furniture was slightly shabby and needed updating. Food was great and good value I would stay again.

• Stayed February 2011
KHalewood, Manager at Macdonald New Blossoms Hotel, responded to this review, 31 March 2011
Dear Reviewer,

Many thanks for your kind words on your visit to us.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the very near future.

Luke Kendall

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (275)
Stafford, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2011

The reason I chose Macdonald Hotels on this occasion (rather than a Travel Lodge or similar budget hotel) was because it was my birthday and I am also 8 months pregnant, so I wanted to ensure a really comfortable and luxurious experience. Unfortunately, this was not what I experienced.

Having booked my room in advance on the Macdonalds website and paid in full (£57 advance rate), I was outraged to find that on checking in at the hotel, they then proceeded to remove a further £107 from my bank account WITHOUT my knowledge or permission and WITHOUT my card or signature. I only became aware of this fact when I went to a nearby cashpoint and tried to withdraw some money, and was unable to do so. As it was my birthday, hence the reason for my visit to Chester, this left me in a very frustrating position, as I had no spending money for the day. After enquiring at reception, I was told that the money had been taken by central reservations in order to cover any room service or bar charges that we MAY run up. I find this incredible, as should we have done so, they had my details and could have taken the correct amount of money after the event. Plus we weren't even told about what they were doing. I have never had this happen to me at ANY other hotel. After a series of visits to reception (4 I think in total), I was eventually told that the hotel's manager had spoken to central reservations and that the money had been released back to my bank account. This is not the case and I am still waiting for it 24 hours later.

Secondly, upon checking into the hotel (at approximately 2pm), I immediately asked about the possibility of replacement pillows. The pillows in my room were feather ones, to which I have an allergy. I was told that this would not be a problem, and that foam pillows would be taken to my room. 3 hours later when I returned to the room, the feather pillows were still there and no foam ones had been delivered. I then returned to reception and was told that housekeeping would get onto it straight away. At 6.30pm, the next time I checked my room, the pillows were still not forthcoming. Again, a visit was made to reception and another promise of pillows was made. When I returned to my room at 8pm for the final time, still no pillows. I went to reception again and was told that pillows were on their way from a 'sister' hotel and would arrive within the next 20 minutes. At 11pm (another 3 hours later) , I finally gave up waiting for my pillows, and ended up going to bed with a pillowcase with 2 folded bath towels inside it. Unsurprisingly I woke up 2 hours later in a lot of discomfort and was unable to return to sleep. I had the worst night's sleep imaginable. It is hard enough to get comfortable as it is when 8 months pregnant without having to rely on something about as comfortable as a concrete step to rest your head on.

Regarding the room in general, I found it clean, spacious and tastefully decorated. The only criticism I could make is that the blinds in the bathroom were filthy and didn't look like they had ever been cleaned. They were also bent out of shape at the edges (which would have afforded no privacy if it wasn't for the fact that the only view from both this window and the one in the bedroom was only of the hotel's air conditioning unit). The room was also uncomfortably warm during the night, and there was no air conditioning in the room. The location of the hotel is excellent, although we did have to pay £12.50 for parking at the local NCP car park as there is no parking at the hotel.

Finally, upon checking out, the girl at the front desk simply took our room card and confirmed we had nothing to pay (ironic really). She didn't even ask (perhaps luckily on this occasion) if we had enjoyed our stay. So you can imagine, overall we were not exactly made to feel like welcome guests. I would like to clarify that we are not difficult people who are prone to complaint, and we were polite and courteous to the front desk staff whilst trying to resolve our issues. We did feel like we were constantly being fobbed off, though, as if they were just trying to placate us just long enough until it was time to check out, without actually giving us what we were asking for.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear Reviewer,

Many thanks for taking the time to comment on your stay with us.

I hope that you recieved my letter and this was to your satisfaction.

Wales
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2011

checked in and went to our room which was a twin room not a double which we had booked, went to reception were we were told house keeping were running late and the room wouldnt be available for 45 min so went away and came back an hour half later, on return we were sent to same room, nothing done!!!! went back to reception to be eventually moved to a room with two beds zipped together, black hairs in sink and bath and sink not cleaned. Booked a table with reception for 7.30, when arrived we had not been booked in but we got a table, ordered a guiness got a lager!! no problem ordered starters which were good and with in seconds of us finishing our starters our mains arrived!. this is not good as you need time between courses, my steak was supposed to be med/rare but was a medium steak- given up by now ¬!!! Beer delivery at7.45, bang goes our lie in !! Breakfast was ok apart from two boiled eggs arriving rolling on a plate, no egg cups!!! and no choice of coffee ie latte. The staff were well natured however not trained. I am an 4 star hotelier and this was clearly not a 4 star

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear Reviewer,

Many thanks for taking the time to comment on your stay with us here at the New Blossoms Hotel.

I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay but please be rest assured that all you comments have been actioned by myself

I do hope you can visit us again

Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2011

Just spent a great weekend here...and after reading some previous reviews was slightly weary but this worry soon went. Check in was extremly friendly n helpful-great start. More than happy with the bedroom. I had booked this hotel on a bed & breakfast basis, as hadn't decided what myself n partner wanted to do. Friday evening I was enticed into the restaurant by whom I presume is the restaurant manageress, all the staff very friendly and made plenty of conversation. The food was fabulous, in particular the steak was by far one of the best steaks we'd both ever had.
Breakfast on sunday, although extremely busy you could see the staff were well organised and professional but the food was still to a very high standard and more than enough of choice to set you up for the day. Will definitely return to this hotel!!

• Stayed February 2011
KHalewood, Manager at Macdonald New Blossoms Hotel, responded to this review, 16 February 2011
Dear Reviewer.

Many thanks for your excellent feedback on your stay here at the New Blossoms Hotel.

It is very pleasing to read that you enjoyed our service so much and found our Scottish beef so tasty. Macdonald Hotels put a lot of time and effort sourcing the best quality ingredients so its fabulous to get such feedback.

I hope that you can visit us again very soon.

Larbert
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2011

Overall this is a decent hotel in a historic city centre so do not expect bright crispy new. This is very much a period hotel furnished to match but with a nicely decorated restaurant. Being off-season not all bars etc. were open.

Bathroom shower poor so had a full bath. Only way to get lots of hot water. Airy bathroom due to full wall window.

However housekeeping excellent. Restaurant was very quiet but provided good service and standard fare.

Good breakfast and enough to set you up for a new day.

Nicely done. Hope to return "In-season" when I am sure it will be more lively.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business
Dear Reviewer,

Many thanks for taking the time to comment on your stay here at the hotel.

I am very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back in the very near future.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2011

Hotel modern clean. Great central location and rooms clean and comfortable

Parking a pain as have to walk from nearby car park with luggage

Nightclub right opposite which was open on a Monday. Hence noise from 2200 to 0300 people shouting and screaming in the street as well as the music. Even with secondary glazing closed kept waking me up and I am a heavy sleeper

For that reason I won't be returning

If you dobr mind noise at night then it is a great hotel with a good variety of restaurants on the doorstep.

• Stayed January 2011
Dear Reviewer,

Many thanks for taking the time to comment on your stay here at the New Blossoms Hotel.

Just for future information, you can drive to outside the hotel, drop your bags off and then park the car.

I note your feedback on the noise and please be rest assured that every measure is being taken to reduce this.

Very Kind Regards

yorkshire
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 January 2011

Stayed at this Hotel for one night as my daughter was attending an interview at the University. We booked two rooms - 1 double and one single. The single room was ok, basic and tired but ok, the double was sub-standard. I am sure it was a 3/4 bed, the tea and coffee tray was in the wardrobe, the room was small and the furniture very dated. The bathroom was shocking, the bath was so chipped and marked with brown stains that you couldn't have got in it ! We decided to put up and shut up and not complain so went down for dinner, obviously not enough staff on duty as we couldn't find anyone to seat us in the Restaurant, after waiting a while to no avail we decided to find somewhere else to eat. We eventually found the Blackhouse Restaurant just around the corner and it was lovely, buzzing and fab food - highly recommend. In all couldn't wait to check out and sorry Macdonald's but we will not go back, the Travel Lodge down the road looked so much nicer !

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank jonesYorkshire
KHalewood, Manager at Macdonald New Blossoms Hotel, responded to this review, 28 January 2011
Dear Reviewer,

Many thanks for taking the time to comment on you stay here at the New Blossoms Hotel.

I was very concerned to read your points and please be rest assured that all of them have been dealt with personally.

I hope that you can give us another chance. If so please contact myself personally and i will ensure that you leave with a very positive impression of the hotel.

Very Kind Regards