“Enjoyable stay and sure we'll use again”

Days Inn Chester East
Ranked #35 of 44 Hotels in Chester
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Enjoyable stay and sure we'll use again”
Reviewed 28 February 2012

We booked a family room for 1 night during the February half-term break which was £50. The room was clean and comfortable, bath had hot running water and bathroom well equipped with clean towels, shampoo/body wash and soap. TV was easy to use, and staff were very friendly towards my autistic son. Excellent location - we had visited Chester Zoo that day and were visiting Blue Planet Aquarium the next day, and for those it was absolutely ideal.

Where I have paid £50 for overnight accommodation before breakfast was included, it was not here though you could get a £10 voucher for the Roadchef restaurant for £7.50 so a slight discount - if you want this, however, buy in the evening, as reception is only manned between 3pm and 7am. Many ground floor rooms overlook the Roadchef car park - we felt like we had to shut the curtains even before it went dark for privacy. Amount of tea and coffee left in room was also on the bare minimum side - you can ask for more but again reception is not always manned. Minor niggles really for a £50 room. We are Chester Zoo members, and would probably use again when visiting the zoo.

We found the food we had from the associated Roadchef (choice of basic family restaurant, McDonalds and Costa) perfectly fine and again the staff in there were friendly to my son and very helpful in catering for our needs. However choice for vegetarians abysmal, so if you're travelling with a vegetarian you may want to case out other local eating venues!

Room Tip: If privacy is important ask for a first floor room or a room at the back of the building.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank ladyvalkyrie22

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Fife, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 January 2012

Booked two nights, 20-22nd Jan 2012, with news paper vouchers at £10 a night.. Rooms clean, beds comfy, staff friendly although the reception is only manned in the evenings. Ideal base to explore Chester area.
Only criticism was that there was not a lot of tea bags and sugar left in room. Really surprised that you don't notice the traffic in the bedrooms.
We had an excellent visit and would highly recommended staying here.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Midlands
Reviewed 16 January 2012

Booked the Days Inn @ Chester East using the £10 per night vouchers from a newspaper promotion. Booked Saturday and Sunday evenings with the intention of spending Sunday in Liverpool and Monday in Chester. I had asked for a top floor quiet room and so was a little disappointed when we were allocated room 39 which although on the top floor was opposite the door that everyone would use to access the top floor and which was over the main entrance overlooking the car park to the main motorway services area. The location was however no problem at all. The double-glazing is fantastic so no noise from the service area. The comings and goings of other guests was also no problem at all. The room was very big and warm with 2 king size beds. We ate out at the Helsby Arms just down the road both evenings and would recommend as the service was very good and for January they had a number of meals at 1/2 price. On our return from dinner on the Saturday evening the reception was closed but there was a notice saying to ring the bell for service. A bloke had come in wanting to book a room and I wanted to ask for some extra tea and milk so we rung the bell a couple of times but no-one came. I went up to the room without any milk and the gentleman wanting to book a room left so I don't know where the receptionist was. When we got back to the room, there was a lot of noise until about 11 o'clock from what we thought was the room next door. We could hear loud talking so had to turn up the tv. When we turned the tv off it went very quiet next door so we were rather relieved as we thought we wouldn't be able to get to sleep. The strange thing was that next morning when we looked at the room next to us it wasn't a guest room at all but a storage cupboard or staff room, so I really don't know whether it was guests talking so loudly all evening or the staff! Anyway we had a good nights sleep and the next day caught the ferry from Woodside over to Liverpool. The parking at Woodside costs £1 per hour so I would suggest using the terminal at Seacombe where the parking is free. When we got back to the Days Inn on on the Sunday evening there was a really helpful lady on reception and she was able to provide extra tea and milk. Sunday night was perfect - no noise at all. Reception also offer a £10 voucher that you can use at the motorway services for £7.50 so this would be worth purchasing if you are looking to purchase food from there. The Days Inn also offers free wifi by registering with walkinwifi. I registered but wasn't able to connect for some reason so gave up and used by internet dongle. Overall this is a great location for visiting Liverpool and Chester and we would definately use the Days Inn again.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Rhos-on-Sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 December 2011

receptionist friendly and efficent room 18 avoid next to boiler room boiler fired up approx every 15 mins all night could not complain to a receptionist as they dont start until 3pm could not wait until somebody appeard from the roadchef building to complain will not be back

• Stayed December 2011
3 Thank DJLBearsdenUk
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 September 2011

Plus points - good location, you don't have to access it from motorway. They take dogs, and there's loads of ground to walk them in. Good size rooms. Clean. Quiet at night.

Very friendly and helpful lady on reception on arrival. Ground floor room had been allocated as requested, no problems.
Next morning shower doesn't work - hole in hose and very little water pressure, so can't even fill bath. Went to recepion to report it, pressed the pager, and waited....and waited...and waited. Gave up waiting so went to find a cleaner and reported the problem to her. She said she'd pass it on and have it fixed by the time we returned. Very friendly and seemed to want to help.
Returned that evening and was greeted by a very surly woman, who claimed to know nothing about the problem, no idea if it's been fixed or not, (more-over obviously couldn't care less,) proceeded to complain to me about their staffing problems, and the fact that she shouldn't even be in there that evening. I went to look - no nothing had been done. Went back to reception and asked if we could be moved to another room. No - they were full. Nothing can be done now - it's a weekend and no-one will come out till Monday at the earliest. All she could do is refund our money for that night, and we'd have to go somewhere else. (This was the middle night of a 3 night stay - can't refund me for the last night cos she can move to a different room for that , can't offer a refund for lack of facilities for first night either - so in effect she was expecting us to move out for one night and then come back for the last night.) The woman had serious "attitude" through out the whole time I was dealing with her. In the end I asked if she had tape of some kind, and I'd try to do a temporary repair myself. A while later she came to the door offering a move to a different room - which we gratefully accepted. I asked for the manager to contact me asap on her return to discuss the problem.
No call ever materialised, so having waited over a week I emailed the lodge, explaining the problems we had encountered and asking why we hadn't been called and, in fairness to the manager, she has now done everything she can to put right what went wrong. Seems she was never told about our particular problem (which was apparently one of a catalogue of water-related problems that weekend), nor was she asked to call me. She has offered me a good deal to resolve the situation, and has asked me to try them again in the future as this was not normal standards for them, and based on the managers response and attitude, I am prepared to give them another go, but I just hope next time customer service will be considerably better.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank brenda186525
GMChesterEast, General Manager at Days Inn Chester East, responded to this review, 26 September 2011
Thank you very much for taking the time to review our hotel.
I am sorry you had a disappointing stay, this is not usual standards for Days Inn Chester East, unfortunately that weekend we had a major issue with our water supply – thus causing problems in the guest rooms. This has now been rectified and we would like to welcome you back to Days Inn Chester East to experience the high levels of service and care that we normally provide to every guest.
I am glad that we managed to resolve your situation to your expectations, and we look forward to welcoming you again to our hotel, if I can be of any assistance in future bookings please contact me directly at the hotel, and visit our website for current offers and promotions.
Once again, many thanks for taking the time to submit a review.
Best wishes from all the team at Days Inn Chester East.

Travellers are raving about these Chester hotels

Leeds, England
Reviewed 29 May 2011

I wasn't expecting much from this place - a cheap hotel based at a motorway service station! It was also the first time me and the wife had stayed in a hotel with our baby son. However, we were really pleasantly surprised! Yes, it's at a service station, but we couldn't hear any motorway traffic at all.
We booked a family room and were really impressed with the size. Really spacious with a good sized double bed, and a single sofa bed. There was loads of room for us to set up our rather large travel cot too, without it being in the way.
The room had a kettle with tea and coffee etc, a 20" flat screen tv with freeview, and plenty of storage space. Both the room and the ensuite were absolutely spotless in terms of cleanliness. Towels and bed linen looked and felt brand new. The shower had good water pressure too.
The staff were really friendly. Reception was often not manned, but there was a buzzer, which always brought a member of staff to reception within seconds. Every query/request was dealt with rapidly and helpfully!
In terms of dining, the hotel has no facilities, but has a deal going with the service station facilities next door, which enable 2 adults and 2 kids to get breakfast for £7.50! In the end though, me and the missus opted for good old McDonalds!
All in all then, a really pleasant stay in a surprisingly comfortable and clean environment for the price!
Thanks to all the staff for making putting a lot of effort into making the place so pleasant.

• Stayed May 2011
1 Thank thela1
GMChesterEast, General Manager at Days Inn Chester East, responded to this review, 6 June 2011
Thank you very much for your kind review. I am glad to hear we exceeded your expectations for our hotel. Being on the motorway service area, we are in a fantastic location for all local amenities such as Cheshire Oaks, Chester City Centre, Chester Zoo and many more places of interest. We are very lucky to be set just back away from the motorway and hidden behind a small hill, so we experience very little traffic noise at all in the hotel. All our double rooms are the size you mention, and all include the free tea/coffee facilities and the 20" TV with freeview, with plenty of storage space. Again, thank you for your kind review, and I hope we will welcome you back to Days Inn Chester East again in the near future, if I can be of any assistance with making a repeat booking, the please contact myself or a member of our friendly team direct at the hotel, and remember to keep checking the website for all our latest offers.
Kendal, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 May 2011

Stayed one night at the Days inn, Chester east. For £25 per person it was very acceptable. The thing that most stood out about this place is how clean everywhere was - not just the bedrooms, the spotless bathrooms but also the reception area, stairwells and corridoors. Full marks all round. Comfy beds, plenty of towels, tea, coffee, flatscreen TV all in-room. Although the reception is not manned 24hrs, you can come and go as you please once checked in and help if needed is only a press of a buzzer where a cheerful, friendly face will come across from the main service station food area. The Breakfasts on sale here were a little on the pricey side, however there is also a McDonnalds and WH Smith open 24hrs. We stayed as a group, 14 altogether. A Taxi into-back from Chester city centre is anywhere between £11 to £16 depending on the company. Definatetly reccomend this place, much nicer than travelodge!!!

Room Tip: book online as early as possible
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled with friends
GMChesterEast, General Manager at Days Inn Chester East, responded to this review, 24 May 2011
Thank you very much for your kind review. Here at Days Inn Chester East we strive for high standards with our cleanliness and customer service, and I am very glad to hear the team and I have achieved this and made your stay a pleasant one. Although we are situatated slightly outside the city centre, we are in a great location for all local attractions, including Cheshire Oaks and Chester Zoo, and as you mentioned above, the city centre is just a short car journey away. We can easily cater for small or large groups/parties visiting the city centre or the local area, for prices and offers, keep an eye on our website, or call us direct at the hotel.

Once again, thank you for your review and I hope to welcome you back to Days Inn Chester East in the near future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chester
Gateway to Wales Hotel
Travelodge Cheshire Oaks
Travelodge Cheshire Oaks
#2 of 6 in Ellesmere Port
Mercure Chester Abbots Well Hotel

Been to Days Inn Chester East? Share your experiences!