“Nice for a spot of lunch.”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of The Coffee Mill

The Coffee Mill
Ranked #15 of 46 Coffee & Tea in Chester
Cuisines: Cafe, British
Good for: Child-friendly, Kids, Cheap Eats
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Brunch, Highchairs Available, Seating, Waitstaff
Description: Traditional Tea Room and Coffee Shop, waitress service, producing a variety of tasty homemade dishes, including breakfasts, morning coffee, lunches, delicious salads, freshly prepared sandwiches, filled jacket potatoes, cakes and our superb afternoon teas. Very friendly, welcoming staff.
Derby, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Nice for a spot of lunch.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2014 via mobile

A nice place to relax with good, friendly service. I had the clotted cream tea, which was nice although the scone was a little dry. They were very happy to bring me extra jam when I asked though.
My husband had the Welsh rarebit, which he said was nice enough.
On a Friday afternoon, it was an enjoyable place for a relaxed snack.

• Visited July 2014

Maidenhead, United Kingdom
“Great lunch”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2014

We choose to have a light lunch here last Saturday, we had never visited Chester before I was attracted to this eating place as it is NOT a chain and offers a good selection of what I believe to be home made dishes eg. Cottage Pie and a range of sandwiches and jacket potatoes. Fine for us at that time.
It was fairly busy but we were not rushed. the staff were helpful advising my Mother about portion sizes so she could have what she wanted... I was impressed. The light bite options is a good idea for those with smaller appetites.The portions on the main menu were extremely generous and the food tasty. We were very satisfied. I feel it offers good value for money and I would return if visiting the city again.
I would say to anyone to try it as the food and service are good.

1 Thank ka h
Hawarden, United Kingdom
“Service was terrible!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

Nipped in here for lunch with friends and were met by terribly rude staff! The people who came in after us got served before us and we were completely ignored for about 20 minutes. Our drinks arrived in dirty cups and glasses. Our food took another 30 minutes to arrive and was just dumped in front of us. The food itself was nice, big portions but we were in a rush as one of us had to get back to work, so we quickly ate and left. When paying the bill however, the lady who cashed it up was actually rather pleasant.

2 Thank rocknrose24335
The_Coffee_Mill, Owner at The Coffee Mill, responded to this review, 4 June 2014
I'm really sorry to hear this.. You clearly enjoyed the food but felt the service wasnt up to scratch.
On that day you visited we were a member of staff down, we usually have 3 waitresses on, on that day it was 2.
I would, however, dispute dirty cups and glasses and us being rude... I worked that day, as did one of my most pleasant and experienced waitresses... And I'm sure you would have told us if there was something with the cups.... And meals are timed out if the kitchen... They never take 30 minutes

We really want everyone to enjoy visiting us so I'm genuinely sorry if you didn't.
Carnforth, United Kingdom
“Good place to a snack lunch”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

It's always difficult to choose where to eat when visiting a new town/city and all we really wanted was a snack. We spotted The Coffee Mill which was very busy and this is always a good sign. We occupied the only available table and this was near the kitchen. However, we were presented with the menu and also a card with 'lite bites' (just what we wanted)! We all ordered from this menu - all choosing difference varieties of sandwiches. They were fresh and nicely presented with a small salad on the side. The tea was hot and plenty of it. We were asked on a couple of occasions if everything was OK. The tables had cloths which had a few tea stains but this did not affect the quality of the food. Will we visit again? Yes if visiting Chester.

1 Thank 31CMD
Chester, United Kingdom
“Not nice”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2014

visited recently with my daughter, initially the service was ok with a young friendly waitress..... the food I have to say was terrible and after we got the food we found it hard to grab any ones attention due to the staff either being down the bottom end or just being fed up..... there is zero atmosphere and the tables were cleared but not cleaned. They have table cloths on tables which look nice but not practical if you cant wipe them down or change. The only thing we liked about the place was the old style pictures on the wall... have to say that was it.... when i mentioned to the lady on paying i wasnt happy with the food she just shrugged her shoulders (it was obvious we were not happy our plates were still full) the best part about it was leaving although i did feel robbed having to pay for shoddy food we barely touched.... it wasn't even like anyone came over to ask if everything was ok...... will not be returning.

2 Thank JoMcNally73