“not the best”

Slow Boat
Ranked #95 of 569 Restaurants in Chester
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Thai, Malaysian as well as Chinese - the local "Onionring" restaurant website gives it really good reviews seehttp://www.onionring.co.uk/restaurants/restaurant_info.asp?RID=2541
Reviewed 15 April 2014

Visited this Chinese restaurant on a Friday evening for the sit down and be served all you can eat menu. It costs £18.90 per person which is the most expensive one I have been to. The soup and starters were good and a nice choice.The reason I have only given an average mark is the main course was a let down. If you order a dish like Chicken in black bean sauce or any dish that has a sauce even vegetarian, the food is saturated. The sauce is very strong and thick and completely masked out any flavour of the food, my wifes vegetarian food dish was just the same. I tried a yellow bean sauce dish and that was the same which completely put me off ordering any thing else. The waiters were polite and attentive, the surroundings could do with a make over. If you are going there for a romantic chat don't bother as the noise from the other guests is so loud we had to shout at each other to be heard. I don't feel I got value for money and would not return.

Reviewed 2 April 2014

Average Chinese restaurant. Food okay, nothing startling. Did feel a bit rushed and with two courses we were out within just under an hour. Was going to try another Chinese restaurant but that one was closed on a Monday. Wouldn't rush back, there are others to try.

Reviewed 30 March 2014

Second time eating here, this time with my husband. Again, this is fantastic food, great service and excellent value for money. Highly recommended!!

Reviewed 22 March 2014

Chester has lost some brilliant Chinese restaurants recently (Cherry Valley in Handbridge was the best Chinese restaurant by a mile), so we decided to give the Slow Boat another try. The food is really tasty and flavoursome. For starters, I especially like the Malaysian Satay Chicken Skewers and the Salt and Pepper Chicken Wings. The Duck with pancakes are brilliant and the main courses are small but well cooked. I especially like the Phad Thai Beef Rice Noodle topped with peanuts. The It's well worth going for the all-you-can-eat buffet which is only available on Friday, Saturday and Sundays. We will definitely be visiting again!

1  Thank WHW_Walker
Reviewed 25 February 2014

We book for birthday meal for family and friends and was took to are table straight away and
Thay took good care of us and the service and food was great and we had a great time and only £19 for adult to eat as much as u want.we look forward to going there again.