“The Emperor's New Clothes....” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Slow Boat

Slow Boat
Ranked #77 of 548 Restaurants in Chester
Cuisines: Chinese, Asian
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Kids, Business meetings, Child-friendly, Groups, Cheap Eats
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Description: Thai, Malaysian as well as Chinese - the local "Onionring" restaurant website gives it really good reviews seehttp://www.onionring.co.uk/restaurants/restaurant_info.asp?RID=2541
Chester, United Kingdom
“The Emperor's New Clothes....”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014

Maybe Hans Christian Andersen had the Slow Boat in mind when he wrote ‘The Emperor's New Clothes?’

We had been told that a good time to visit was on a Sunday to try their all day banquet. We arrived just before 6pm and it was getting busy to be fair. I have to admit that at this stage all was good and we were looking forward to the experience…..that was until we were seated and my wife and I’s arms were sticking to the ‘clean’ table. On further inspection this table was beyond cleaning and I think they need to A) Buy a table cloth, or B) Buy an orbital sander.
Did I tell you about the carpet that was also rather sticky? Yes, a carpet in a Chinese restaurant!!

Service was good if not a bit too much after the 4th “Can I take your drinks order?” The starters were on the measly side (2 small Vietnamese Spicy Meat Balls to share??) and the Thai Chicken Strips were as Thai as fish and chips, basically chicken without any flavour shaped like calamari!? The ribs were all excellent as were the chicken wings so some quality as least.

The mains came on plastic plates with a choice of rice or noodles, again served on plastic (at least our eating plates were porcelain!) The Honey & Chilli Beef was very tasty but my wife’s Chicken with Pineapple in Sweet Chilli Sauce was well below average. We tried 2 more dishes, Sweet and Sour Pork and Pork with Mushrooms in Black Bean Sauce and neither one salvaged the whole sorry experience.

If this was the last Chinese restaurant in Chester then I would book a cab and go out of the city. Not impressed and never again!

• Visited June 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Marley E

“Adequate and filling”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2014 via mobile

Went with a large party of young people for Sunday evening banquet.
The service was prompt and efficient. The food was plentiful but lacked the subtlety I would expect from a Chinese restaurant. Everything was deep fried or marinated in sweet, sticky sauce. The bowls of noodles were brimful but the noodles were very dark and well cooked.
The evening was enjoyable and "hats off" to the diligent staff.
Can't recommend the Slow Boat if you want a quality meal, although you won't leave feeling hungry.

Visited June 2014
1 Thank canals56
Chester, United Kingdom
“So much better than when I went years ago”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2014

All you can eat deal on a Sunday - good value and fresh food. Good service, nice atmosphere - windows were open as it was a nice day (last time I went years ago, it smelt so bad). Food was really nice and lots of Chinese people eating there which I think is always a good sign. Liked the fact that you keep ordering food to be brought out fresh, rather than everything sitting out all day. Will definitely return

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank Elmo50
Manchester, United Kingdom
“fantastic”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2014

We ate i this restaurant as a family of 4 with 2 children under 10, we ordered the Malaysian Beauty set menu and i have to say it is one of the best meals ive ever had, the flavours were amazing and everything was cooked to perfection and food was plentiful. I would recomend this restaurant.

• Visited May 2014
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“This is one boat I will not be embarking on again !!!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2014

We arrived at the main desk and my feet stuck to the floor (very good first impressions)
Shown to our table, again table very sticky had to wipe it down myself
Next was the banquet £19 each for the little choice and quality of food is just embarrassing.
Every dish we chose had a HP base and was just really tangy.
Noodles had a BBQ overcooked taste too.
All the food was either deep fried or had a really burnt after taste to it along with that horrible HP tanginess
I think the idea of a banquet where they bring it to your table is good as long as the small stoves to keep the food on were clean (which they weren't) and they bring new plates with them each time (which they didn't)
Been ill next day from food ate here.
So if you want to pay £50 for food that you can get downstairs in Iceland for £1 a box, be ill the next day, and have poor service then this is the place for you, however it isn't for me.

Would I recommend, definitely not.
Will I go again, definitely not.

• Visited May 2014