“Italian ciabatta and French sticks? No”

Riverside Tea Gardens
Ranked #40 of 40 Coffee & Tea in Chester
Cuisines: British
Wirral, United Kingdom
“Italian ciabatta and French sticks? No”
Reviewed 26 May 2014

My family and I visited this tearoom today. First we couldn't sit outside as their was no parasols which was a shame as the location is lovely, right on the River Dee. We ventured inside where it looked very outdated and cheap looking. We paid in excess of £40 for 6 bog standard sandwiches and a drink each. We had ordered for our sandwiches to be French stick and ciabatta and when it came out all sandwiches were a normal bap the shape of ciabatta and French stick.
Will not be returning, which is a shame as the location is fab. The place needs a revamp and the menu revised then maybe I'd pay £40 for the experience and food.

• Visited May 2014
4 Thank CNGrant01

Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Overpriced”
Reviewed 20 April 2014

I realise that places like this have to make their money while the sun shines in the short British season, but £7 for a jacket potato is taking the mick!

The sandwiches are served with 'crisps', which turned out to be a few Pringles. OK, better than cheap 'value' crisps, but one might expect the use of a bit more imagination given the huge variety of specialist crisps on the market now.

We had wanted to sit outside, but there are no parasols or other shade - fine if you want to sit in the full sun I guess.

We were disappointed, and felt that the management exploit the fact that the location will draw in the punters, so there's no need to make much of an effort, but still charge premium prices.

• Visited April 2014
3 Thank David N
“WOW! A must!!”
Reviewed 15 March 2014

What a fantastic Cafe! Situated in a beautiful position on the river dee, I could sit here with one of there fantastic ice creams all day!

After reading some of these other reviews I feel like you most of gone to another cafe!

The staff were loverly and made my day happier.

Would reckonnmend to anyone!

A must in chester!

• Visited March 2014
4 Thank GSlater99
Chester, England, United Kingdom
“Time travel is possible”
Reviewed 22 February 2014

Like stepping back in time in a bad way. This is such a good location and could be a real gem.
Unfortunately this place is grim. Its expensive. The food is only passable. The place feels unclean.

Best avoided, I hope that someone comes in and buys this place and make it fulfil its potential.

• Visited February 2014
2 Thank Michael B
liverpool, England
“Stay away”
Reviewed 31 October 2013

I visited this cafe last year and the food was not up to par, I thought it may have just been a bad day for them as the cafe was so busy - so we decided to give it another try on our way through from Wales to Liverpool. Sorry we did!

my soup was obviously from a packet, it was so tasteless that I had to leave it. My partner ordered a chilli beef ciabatta sandwich. The bread was OK but the filling was just a slice of roast beef out of a packet with some chilli sauce on it. Our friend had a scone with cream, the scone was hard and the cream - you guessed it - squirted from a can.

This cafe needs to get its act together and serve up decent food. The menu is simple and all people want is simple DECENT food. The food is overpriced with sandwiches at £7.

Location is fab, the girl who served us and the young lady who brought out our food were friendly and helpful.

Sorry we didn't save our money and have a nice meal in Liverpool .

WILL NOT RETURN