“Warning Kids Not Wanted”
Review of Artichoke

Artichoke
Ranked #22 of 559 Restaurants in Chester
Cuisines: Contemporary, British
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Contempory cafe, bar and bistro. From Sunday Roast to coffee, tea and toast, cocktails to real ales. Relaxed and friendly service combined with quality food and drinks. A great range of homemade cakes, real ale from Cheshire breweries, continental lager and artisan beers, modern bistro dining using the finest local suppliers and a wine and cocktail list second to none.
“Warning Kids Not Wanted”
Reviewed 19 July 2014

Made a telephone booking for a family birthday meal for 6.30. When we arrived were told that children weren't allowed in the building after 7pm so we would have to leave. Children are 11,9 and 7 so not unruly toddlers. Made to feel uncomfortable and as if we had done something wrong. Not told on booking that children not welcome. Having had children for 11 years and taken then to various restaurants this is the first "family friendly restaurant" that I have found that has such an old fashioned attitude to children. AVOID WITH KIDS.

• Visited December 2013
6 Thank Andy R
Artichoke2011, Owner at Artichoke, responded to this review, 19 July 2014
i'm am sorry about this unfortunate incident.

i am confused how you quote us as stating "family friendly" which must only of come from our website without fully quoting the website - "family friendly until 7pm". in big letters.

if you had been previously you may of seen the sign on the entrance which states the same.

Artichoke is a bar as well as a dining establishment. as mentioned on many other tripadvisor reviews we have our reasons for not allowing children in the evening. not all venues suit children. i think we should have the right to decide that for our site. i think parents should think and check this kind of thing out before assuming and booking. it's on our website, on tripadvisor reviews, on our entrance, if you've been in in the evening before you would of noticed. i'm truly sorry that this messed up your evening but we are not to blame.

Stockport
“Great food and drinks”
Reviewed 18 July 2014

A lovely setting next to the canal with some outside seating too. The food was very nice, well presented and reasonably priced. They have a good range of drinks with plenty of beers on tap and probably the biggest selection of gin I have ever seen. It can be busy at peak times so you will need to book a table even on week days.

Visited July 2014
England
“Fabulous Food”
Reviewed 17 July 2014

The Artichoke Restaurant was recommended by the Receptionist in our hotel so during the afternoon we took a walk along the canalside, found the Restaurant and checked out the menu which sounded very tempting. We were not disappointed! We started with the mackerel fillet on an onion bhaji which was a wonderful combination of flavours. To follow I had the mussel and clam chowder which was really superb and very filling; both the mussels and clams were a good size which is not always the case. My husband chose the lamb which he said was excellent too. Could not manage a dessert unfortunately but i am sure they would have been of the same high standard. The waiting staff were very friendly and cheerful and the restaurant had a nice ambience, we ate in the rear of the restaurant but there were tables outside which would be nice on a warm evening or at lunchtime. Lovely evening!

• Visited July 2014
“Excellent”
Reviewed 17 July 2014

The Artichoke is literally just down the road from where we live and we love it. Sitting outside having a flavoursome drink, although not the cheapest bar around, the experience of all the different beers and spirits they offer is well worth it. We arranged a party at short notice without hassall and they were more than accommodating, the food was awesome and the staff were jolly and chatty. Highly recommended

• Visited July 2014
Chester, United Kingdom
“Never going back”
Reviewed 15 July 2014

I visited this restaurant on 27th June for a birthday meal with friends. I had booked the table four weeks in advance and specifically requested (as the meal was for an occasion) to be seated in the restaurant area as I did not wish to eat a meal in the bar area which can get quite busy. I went into the restaurant in person (four weeks in advance) to make the reservation and explained the preference to sit in the restaurant area to a member of staff. She said this was absolutely fine and wrote full details of the reservation down with the preference for seating. I called back into the restaurant again a week later just to double check this was all OK and again was told the reservation was fine. A few days before my booking staff phoned me to check that I still wanted the reservation and I phoned them back to confirm this and again checked that we would be seated in the restaurant area and a member of staff assured me that we would be. I was therefore shocked when I turned up with friends on the Friday and (when I tried to sit in the restaurant area) was directed to the bar area. I spoke to a member of staff about this who said that she would check with a manager if we could be moved. She then returned and said that it wasn't possible for us to be moved and that staff had been trying to call me to confirm the reservation! I said that this simply wasn't true as I had spoken to staff four times to confirm the reservation and to confirm where we would be seated (as I also spoke to a member of staff on the day of the booking as well). However, again I was informed that we could not be moved to the restaurant area due to other bookings. This seemed very unfair given that I had gone to the trouble of making the booking four weeks in advance (when at which point there were no other bookings) and also when I had stressed that the booking was for a special occasion. The bar area was busy that night so it was uncomfortable to eat a meal in this setting especially given that staff opened the French windows for much of the evening (on quite a cold night). Furthermore, the stress of trying to sort out the table reservation when we arrived did not get the evening off to a good start. The food was acceptable but not in any way amazing so I am surprised by some of the other reviews on here. I did call into the restaurant the following day to try and discuss my complaint openly with a manager who seemed quite disinterested (although he did say that a 'director' of the restaurant would call me back that day and nobody did). I like to support local restaurants but overall I think that there are better restaurants in Chester who serve higher quality food and who are able to treat their customers in a more respectful way. I did not appreciate the discourtesy which I was shown by staff that evening (on what should have been a special occasion) so I will not be returning.

• Visited June 2014
9 Thank Lauless
Artichoke2011, Owner at Artichoke, responded to this review, 19 July 2014
yep, we cocked up regarding where your table was requested. physically couldn't do anything about it on the night. sorry. we did apologise at the time, gave you a round of fizz on the house. obviously you still were upset about our oversight, sorry. i didn't read the notes when i did the table plan for the night. my mistake.