The Chester Fields
Cuisines: British, Gastropub
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed 22 December 2011

After reading the reviews we thought we'd go and have a meal as it was local and having a good restaurant close to home is always a bonus.
On arrival we were greeted in a friendly and welcoming manner and our table was on the mezzanine. The restaurant was busy and had a warm and welcoming atmosphere. The food was excellent, we shared the bread basket for starters, I had the steak burger and my husband the gammon - the twice cooked chips served in a little mini chip frying basket are wonderful. The deserts of marshmallow and doughnuts with chocolate dipping sauce and the chocolate torte were to die for. We shared a lovely bottle of wine and after finishing we retired to the soft leather sofas for coffees and brandy.
The staff were attentive and friendly and Izzy came over to talk to us making us feel very valued as customers.
We are looking forward to returning again both ourselves and with our children. I've already recommended Chester Fields to many of my friends and hope that everyone else has as lovely a time there as we did.
Thank you for a really pleasant evening.

Izzy G, Guest Relations Manager at The Chester Fields, responded to this reviewResponded 13 January 2012

Hello Rachel and a very happy new year to you ! I am so pleased that you enjoyed your evening and it was especially nice to meet you – oh the power of Twitter and Facebook ! The gammon as you know is my favourite main course on the menu (closely followed by the burger) so I’m delighted that your husband enjoyed it so much. Do bring the children, Sunday lunch is very much a family day here at The Chester Fields so I am really looking forward to meeting all of you ! Thanks again Rachel.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,134)

Reviewed 22 December 2011

Excellent quality food, presented really well for a reasonable price. Like the fact that ingredients are sourced locally. Atmosphere was welcoming and friendly with great decor.
Am looking forward to taking the family after Christmas so they can experience it too!

1  Thank Jcn2705

Hi there Jcn2705 and thanks for reviewing us – we have worked hard to ensure that The Chester Fields is warm, welcoming and friendly so I am very pleased that you felt this on this visit. We are enjoying some beautiful sunny and crisp January days at the moment and the view is exceptionally stunning – I hope you return this month with your family to enjoy it ! Thanks again and see you soon.

Reviewed 22 December 2011

I took my partner for a meal here last night and we couldn't fault it:
Nice welcome from the Maitre D, good service at the bar, attentive service from the waiter (Anthony) at our table and of course the food and wine were both excellent.
I had the Rump steak and Christine had the Fish & Chips. We also shared a bottle of Pinot Noir and the cheese board. All of it as good as (if not better than) the MPW Steakhouse down the road, but much better value.
Overall, we really enjoyed dining in the relaxed atmosphere at the Chester Fields. They also have some vintage video-game consoles upstairs for some after-dinner fun.

1  Thank TonyHowse
Izzy G, Guest Relations Manager at The Chester Fields, responded to this reviewResponded 17 January 2012

Hi Tony and thank you for taking the time to write a review for us. We are a little late in responding – launching at such a busy time of year has presented us with some challenges! We are very pleased that you enjoyed your experience with us and the rump steak does get particularly good feedback .. the beef comes from Grange Farm which is located directly behind, and run by our very good friend and supplier Huw Rowlands with his Red Poll cattle. Whenever we run short, Huw pops over the fields in person to help us out and enjoys a quick pint of Spitting Feathers before he gets back to work ! Thank you so much again Tony and we very much look forward to welcoming you back to The Chester Fields.

Reviewed 22 December 2011

We were staying in the local Travel Lodge (£12 a night deal), and decided we couldn't be bothered to go back into Chester for dinner. After driving for 5 minutes up the A56 we passed a large pub on the left hand side which looked tempting, so we looked to turn the car around and in doing so stumbled upon The Chester Fields. It looked so much more impressive than the pub, so parked up and wandered in.

We were immediately taken by the decor and ambience, and were greeted by a friendly member of staff, who offered us a choice of tables. The menu was a good cross section of mainly classic British dishes, made from locally sourced produce. The cutlery was of very good quality, which we felt was a very good sign of things to come. We weren't disappointed, the staff were attentive, the food beautifully cooked and presented, and was complemented with some good wine.

We left with a satisfied glow of a great find and wouldn't hesitate to return if we ever visit the area again.

1  Thank the_pros_from_dover

Hi there and we are so pleased that you did call in, I actually remember greeting you when you arrived (I remember the conversation about staying in the Travel Lodge!). We are very proud here at The Chester Fields of our kitchen team headed up by Chef Gareth Jones. Gareth is passionate about proper British cooking and local ingredients and produce, so I am pleased that this came through in the menu. It’s always nice to leave anywhere with a warm glow and I sincerely hope you will be back to glow some more ! Thanks again, we really appreciate you taking the time to review us.

Reviewed 20 December 2011

There are many fine dining restaurants in Chester that we have frequented and enjoyed and there are several good pubs within a 15mile radius, however this place tops them all due to it's mixture of fine food, good sized portions, welcoming staff and relaxing classy atmosphere.

I have visited 4 times since its opening and have not been disappointed, in fact every time the quality has left us wanting more!! We would highly recommend the chicken for 2 on a Sunday. My husband is a keen beef eater however even he is keen to go back on a Sunday to have the chicken rather than the beef. After we had carved our own succulent chicken the waiter asked if we would like to take the rest home with us for stock/ to use the rest of the meat - I am so glad we did!!! It made fantastic butties for the next day.

The staff are accommodating and very friendly without being ott. Even on a busy Sunday lunch sitting the staff seemed relaxed and our waiter took his time to clarify certain menu questions.

We have recommended it to friends and family and those that have frequented have been very pleased. We are just so pleased that such a fantastic place is right on our doorstep!

2  Thank briree

Hi briree and thank you for taking the time to write a review for us. We are incredibly grateful and we are aware of how busy everyone is, especially in December! Very pleased that you enjoyed the chicken for 2 so much, this has proved a real hit with our Sunday diners and as you say, our guests have been really pleased that they can take the leftovers home for stock or butties ! We know we have a long way to go and we are dedicated to maintaining the standards we believe our customers will expect and deserve. Thanks again and we very much look forward to welcoming you back to The Chester Fields.