“Perfect evening!”

Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Southampton
“Perfect evening!”
Reviewed 30 July 2014

I came to this restaurant by recommendation with my family and was instantly impressed by the beautiful views, we were greeted by friendly staff who were attentive all evening. The food was brilliant, well cooked and excellent value for money. It was a busy summers evening when I vistited and the speed of the service did not slip due to this.
I will certainly be returning!!

Chester, United Kingdom
“Nothing special!”
Reviewed 28 July 2014

After visiting the Chester fields a number of times im afraid to say my opinion continues to go down! Had a table booked, arived at the bar and no one seemed in any hurry to serve us. After we had placed our drinks order, the server on the bar proceeded to serve a staff member who was sat at the end of the bar, midway through preparing our drinks, which which appeared very unprofessional! The drinks themselves were extortionate, almost £3 for a wartered down coke. As per usual they had 'run out' of something on the menu, this week it was the roast beef, on a Sunday of all days! The food was good, didnt wait long, apart from the location, its nothing special, wont be in a hurry to visit again!

6 Thank Jamie B
MARK J, Managing Director at The Chester Fields, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
Dear Jamie B,
Thank you for taking the time to visit the restaurant (several times) and not saying anything on the day, going home, signing up for your first review and writing your unsubstantiated comments.
Saying a drinking is watered down in writing is not the most sensible thing to do and it's a shame you didn't mention it on the day. I do understand that many people are a little bit timid to say anything and feel a lot more confident hidden behind a screen. Your comment about the 'watered' down coke that cost nearly £3 is untrue. Did you perhaps ask for a large one which costs £2.80? a standard coke (pepsi) costs £2. Outside of breaking into the postmix machine and putting a hosepipe through it, it's not very easy to dilute postmix products. Where I think you may be going with these claims is that there was too much ice in the drink. It's a scientific fact that if you put too little ice in a drink, it waters it down. Ice keeps ice cold and as it's the middle of a hot Summer that's appears to be what the guest wants!!!
Regarding the service that you call unprofessional, this in the industry, is called multiple ordering. The art of serving more than one person at a time. As regards the member of staff sitting at the bar, that is highly unlikely at the time that you arrived.
As for running out of Roast Beef, this is very normal for restaurants. I'd prefer to run out of it in the evening than do what many other restaurants do by stopping serving Roasts after 5pm.
I apologise for my grossly sarcastic and arrogant tone but I always find it disturbing when people lack courage to stand up for themselves at the time when an experience can be turned around and scurry off to their computers. Thank you for choosing to return several times and I apologise once again that your last experience will deter you from ever returning.
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Summer Sunday!”
Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

I came here today for family get together and it was just wonderful. Waitress was lovely, bartender full of the banter and the surroundings are stunning. Food as good as ever with something for all of us! My 8yr old son has just declared himself a veggie so the team altered a dish for him, which was a nice touch considering how busy they were! All in all great and can't wait for an excuse to pop back down!

Chester, United Kingdom
“What a wonderful evening - we will most definetly return again!”
Reviewed 27 July 2014

We were recommended your restaurant by some friends who frequent your restaurant on a regular basis and up until now have not had much opportunity to go. Last night we decided to pay you a visit on the spur of the moment and jolly glad that we did!

My son who ate with us ordered your Fat Cow Burger which he thoroughly enjoyed, with a name like that I would have been a little embarrassed to order that myself, but when it arrived I can see where the names comes from - it was huge and excellent value for money and very delicious.

I had the Poached Breast of Chicken & Mushroom Bourguignon which I thought was wonderful, sometimes with chicken its hard to cook the chicken so its not too dry and this was just right, cooked to perfection -I wish I was able to serve something like that up myself, fabulous!

My husband had the Crispy Pork Belly and he polished it off very quickly and said it was divine.

We can see why our friends had recommended it too us as we had a lovely evening, The restaurant is superb inside and very cosy with lovely finishing touches like games areas etc for the kids, although my son being in his early 20's would not have used this area now, he did comment that he wished there had been more pubs like this when he was younger!

We chose to sit outside in the very large area with comfy chairs and beautiful views, the restaurant was heaving as the weather is superb at the moment and the staff must have had their work cut out as they worked tirelessly in the heat.

We did feel sorry for the chef as he had his doors open from the kitchen and he must have been so hot, we almost wanted to take him one of our drinks as we sat soaking up the lovely sunshine.

Anyway we just wanted you to know we had a lovely evening, with excellent food, the service was very good, sometimes we had to wait a little, but it was very busy and we could see the staff were running around like mad things, bless them, but when they did come to our table, they were polite and courteous and always smiling which is a credit to them.

We will definitely be returning again and bringing our friends next time too.

ps it was also lovely to be out in the countryside on such a lovely evening instead of being in the bustling town centre where its so hot, and not have to worry about finding a parking space too

Many thanks for a lovely time

Elsie Bradley

Chester
“Not great!”
Reviewed 26 July 2014

We went for the first time last week and I won't be in a hurry to go back. Really nice building and lovely views, if you don't mind being attacked by dozens of wasps the whole time. I had to actually ask the waiter if we could order after being sat there for 25 minutes. The food was expensive and after eating about half of the pulled pork burger I can honestly say I have never felt so sick so quickly from eating something. I was actually scared to get in the car for fear of throwing up. My husband had the same and had to get up and leave the table as he felt so sick. Really wasn't worth the money for the experience we had. And we definitely aren't in a rush to go back. Shames because we'd heard great things about this place.

1 Thank Laura0401
MARK J, Managing Director at The Chester Fields, responded to this review, 27 July 2014
Dear Laura0401,
Thanks for taking the time to write this review although it would have been more appropriate to have asked for a manager on the day. There is no record of any complaint made on the day you dined which strikes me as a little odd.
If you check out the following web address you will see that any illness from food doesn't occur until between 24 and 72 hours after digesting. I wonder if it may have been a bit of heat stroke that made you ill. http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/food-poisoning/pages/introduction.aspx. I'm also surprised that based on your comments you rated the food a 3 out of 5. If you wish to email the restaurant I will gladly send you a sales report for that day where we sold over 40 pork burgers(it's the third most popular dish on our menu). Perhaps your choice was wrong. As regards price, i'm not sure where you normally dine but our pricing is no more expensive than any of the competition. The difference maybe that we prepare everything fresh on the day.
The fact that you waited 25 minutes to be served was because you hadn't booked a table with us and we were already fully booked. Perhaps it wasn't communicated to you that you may have to wait, so I apologise for this.
Your comment about the wasps I found amusing! It's the middle of Summer during a long awaited heatwave, in the countryside, surrounded by farms. I'm not too sure what you would expect every garden in the country to do about this, outside of covering the entire perimeter with a fishing net!
Sarcasm aside, i'm sorry your first visit wasn't up to the reccomendation you had been given but if you read the 90% positive reviews we have had, that would hopefully give you a better average of the restaurant. Thank you for dining and sorry you won't be returning.