“A Decent Stay”

Ranked #39 of 44 Hotels in Chester
London, England
“A Decent Stay”
Reviewed 30 January 2013

Having read some of the reviews before I checked into the Belgrave, frankly I was dreading it! However, what I found did not tally with some of the more negative opinions below. Checking in took no more than a minute, even though there were 2 people in front of me in the queue. The hotel was clean throughout (after some of those reviews, I made sure I checked!), the beds were comfy, there was always hot water, the staff were all lovely - and it is no more than 60-90 seconds walk to the train station.

I will admit that it's not going to be everyone's cup of tea, some would say that the Decor needs a bit of updating (and they'd probably be right!), but it does have a certain charm to it. The bottom line is: if you're in Chester for a night or two and you want to be near the train station, then the Belgrave is a good option.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
sancastle, Manager at Belgrave, responded to this review, 2 April 2013
Thank you for your kind honest comments. If you are ever in Chester in the future, you would be most welcome.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Harrow
Reviewed 20 November 2012

This is a no frills hotel, only £36 per night (average), as week end days are more expensive. I liked the buffet English breakfast. My room was en-suite with TV & tea/coffee making facilities, and enough storage furniture, and really quiet.Plenty of hot water for the shower. It had a small bar & big screen TV Lounge as well. Only 1 minute from the Station and about 15 minutes walk from the town centre. Best was their friendliness & efficiency, including after we had checked out phoning one of our party to tell him he had left something in the room.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet one away from the roadside.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank JohnClementHarrow
sancastle, Manager at Belgrave, responded to this review, 1 January 2013
Thank you very much for your kind review, we are glad you enjoyed your stay with us, and hope to your again in the near future.
Shefford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 November 2012

Had the misfortune to book into this disgraceful place. Took me ten minutes to book in. I can deal with that but when I got into room 12 I was just dumdfounded at what I saw.

Dirty carpets that I wouldnt put in my shed.

Filth everywhere I looked on the carpets.

There were numerous bloodstains on the bedsheets along with a fair quantity of pubic hairs liberally spread out all over them. There were various other numerous stains around the bed that I wont even put into print.

The bathroom was absolutely filthy and not fit for anyone to take a shower. The sink was even worse.

The smell in the bathroom was really bad. Smelt like someone had been ill and it had not been cleaned up properly.

And just to put the cream on top of the cake...... Some idiot was playing Bongo drums for hours in the "hotel".

I have taken pictures of all the mess I endured/discovered in this hovel

I really would advise people that if you value your health...... DO NOT GO NEAR THIS PIGSTY.

Needless to say I didnt stay for breakfast.

One good point was the barmaid who was very helpful in directing me to a decent place to eat.

Room Tip: Dont go near this place. Its awful.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Joe G
sancastle, Manager at Belgrave, responded to this review, 12 November 2012
With response to your review. On the date you checking in to the hotel, there were 2 memebers of staff on duty that evening, so I find it hard to believe that it took 10 minutes to check in.

The bedroom and bathroom you were allocarted has recentely been decorated and refurnished, thoroughly. Our bed lining and towels are NOT cleaned in house they are all sent out to a very highly reputable company, who take all dirty laundry away and replace with CLEAN ones.

The rooms are cleaned thoroughly on a daily basis.

With regard to the "bongo" noise, we do not have any live entertainment in the hotel, the only thing noise there would be is from the T.V in bar or lounge.

We are sorry you did not enjoy your stay with, but as I mentioned there were staff on duty, so if you had approched them and voiced your concerns to any of the staff on duty whilst you were in the hotel, we wood have looked into your concerns and tried our utmost to resolve these concerns.

Travellers are raving about these Chester hotels

Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 July 2012

FIRST IMPRESSIONS

My first impressions of the Belgrave Hotel were how nice the building was, but also the weird smell entering the lobby. I wasn't expecting a five-star lobby, as the hotel is an old house transformed. The Lobby was small, with old-fashioned carpet, and out of date stairs. The Manager greeted us and handed us our keys. It was very awkward getting to our room as we had to lug our luggage up four flights of stairs, but it caused us no trouble.

ROOM

We then entered our family room, to find 4-single beds, exactly as we wanted. Their was a sink in the bedroom, but that is as it was an old building. All furniture was old and dated. One of the four beds was broke, we noticed this because as soon as my friend sat down on it it collapsed, but he had to make do. Our room was carpeted. Their was ample stains and the carpet was sticky to walk on. The T.V was ok, signal wasn't great. But the worst for me was finding that the pillow was stained orange. I had to sleep with a towel over the pillow. Later in the week I found something weird on the wall and a stain on my bed covers.The bathroom was small but all we needed. The Toilet was Clean.

SLEEP

It was hard to sleep in this hotel as the rooms were freezing, and you could here footsteps across the road. I put this down to the old, single-glazed windows.

FOOD

The food was ok, not five-star but not terrible. I must say breakfast was different, It was awful.

STAFF.

Overall the staff were really nice. The waitresses were very friendly.

Average location, when you think about quite a long walk to old town, and the hotel being on a noisy busy road.
But a hotel is mainly about providing a clean, efficient room, or so I think. This Hotel Failed.

'Sorry for Photo Quality, Used my Ipod'

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Suberbest322
sancastle, Manager at Belgrave, responded to this review, 5 November 2012
With response to your review on the Belgrave Hotel. Firstly I would like to mention that we only have 3 floors of bedrooms, and we do not have rooms with 4 beds in them. All the rooms are cleaned on a daily basis.

Wiht regard to food, we do not serve food in the hotel, apart from breakfast, so I do not know where you eat when you stayed in Chester.

I am sorry you feel that we are not close to the town centre, but we are only 10 mins (approx) from the town centre.
Reviewed 13 July 2012 via mobile

To be honest when I read the reviews for this hotel I thought oh we'll we're only staying for one night but when we got there the lady on reception was lovely and couldn't have been more helpful. The room is what it is we had a triple room our bed was comfy but the single not so much. Thes rooms are very clean. The breakfast is amazing its a buffet style and well needed after a night out. If I ever go back to Chester I will stay in this hotel I was extremely happy with our stay and all of the friendly staff.
It's only a short walk into Chester and right next to the train station so an ideal location.

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank Lcon11
sancastle, Manager at Belgrave, responded to this review, 5 November 2012
We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us, and would be honoured to have youstay with us again the near future.
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 July 2012

I wouldn't recommend this hotel at all, me & my husband stayed for one night after the races & it was the worst thing we could have done. The manager of the hotel was an arrogant, rude & aggressive man! On checking into the hotel the manager just gave us our room key & didn't explain the procedure for gaining access to the hotel after midnight. We came back to find the hotel door closed so tried to use the key what was given to us to open the door but unfortunately this wasn't the correct key to use & it broke in the lock. The manager of the hotel, his wife & son treated us like we were criminals & wanted us to pay £49 to replace the lock which we obviously refused. The manager was a very nasty man who was shouting & swearing in our faces, he even called the police to try & get us arrested which didn't work. Anyway following advice from the police he ended up reluctantly letting us stay in the hotel which wasn't a very nice experience. The room was dirty & in need of some repair, furniture was old, carpets stained, it was just a shabby room!! It was not value for money & we certainly would not recommend it. The nasty manager does not deserve customers hard earned money, there are plenty of nicer more accommodating hotels in Chester!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Nicola C
Llandudno, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 June 2012

I stumbled across reviews for this hotel by accident, I read a couple of horrible reviews for the hotel and have to say how utterly unfair these reviews are, so I just had to give my opinion. I stayed here in December 2008 with my partner and our stay was perfectly fine. My partner and I had traveled 300 miles from Cornwall and we were going home to North Wales, we got to Chester and were utterly exhausted and decided that was all we were doing for the day. So we came out of the train station and into the first hotel we saw, the Belgrave. It was the day before Christmas eve and I was oh so grateful they even had a room. The staff were kind, warm and welcoming. Our room was warm, clean and tidy. Yes, the decor is a little dated, but this is not a five star hotel and they do not charge five star prices. The cost was very reasonable, the location was ideal and the staff here were just lovely. I would definitely stay again without hesitation. The breakfast was great. I really have no complaints at all, just perfect.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank DaisyDaisy61
sancastle, Manager at Belgrave, responded to this review, 5 November 2012
Thank you for your kind review, we are glad you enjoyed your stay with us, and hope you will stay with us again if you are ever in Chester.