“Close to Train Station and City Centre”
Review of Belgrave Hotel

Belgrave Hotel
Ranked #41 of 45 Hotels in Chester
Reviewed 22 October 2013

I stopped here on a Saturday night, the hotel staff were friendly and helpful, letting us into the room before out check in time so we could make a full day of the Chester Experience. Would recommend to all my friends, lovely place to sleep and all the amenities were to hand. Breakfast was scrummy :)

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
sancastle, Manager at Belgrave Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 November 2013

We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. We hope to see you again

Reviewed 8 October 2013

We've stayed here under the council, we've found its dirty unclean and that bath had stains and fag burns on it the toilet blocks up there's many on going problems with the heating so we were freezing at night due to that problem no bath or shower facility's were available, me and my partner sleep in a way that we feel comftable the cleaners decide to walk in by them selves and the gone threw private draws we no this as we set a trap as we though there nosie this hotel is a bad example of hotels it should not be aloud to be run mr sharma the manager shouts and customers for no reason as he thinks he's right the cleaners also took a ash tray out off our room which my late mother had bough me so it's very special to me took it upon her self to clean it in the dishwasher and spoilt it, the state off this hotel is disqusting.

• Stayed: October 2013
sancastle, Manager at Belgrave Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 December 2013

The rooms are cleaned each day and the cleaners knock the door and call out before entering all rooms. All residents are asked to leave the hotel at 11 am so that all rooms can be cleaned.

The first room you were allocated had a shower but because of your situation were moved to a room with a bath.

There is a no smoking policy in the hotel and the ashtrays were removed due to them being full of cigarette ends

During your stay we did have a problem with the heating which all residents were notified. This was sorted out within a day and we also gave heaters to anyone that needed them

Reviewed 3 September 2013

We are a small male cycle club (5 only) and each year we spend 3 days cycling around different parts of the country. This is our 16th year so have stayed in Hotels/B&B of all shapes and sizes. Our normal spend is £35.00 - £40.00 max per night so we where looking forward to something special for the £50.00 requested at the Belgrave. Let me start my saying the receptionist was very friendly and helpful and gave us the store room to put our bikes in overnight. But that is where the compliments end - to say the rooms are shabby is an understatement. My single room, clearly had not been decorated since the Roman occupation of Chester. Just to name a few - holes in the curtains, stains on the carpets, old flaky bathroom mirror (light above not working), a hole in the bathroom door where the dresser enters it, dirty shower unit and the toilet is so close to the wall opposite, when seated, I couldn't get my legs in straight (I know, too much information). I get 'Shabby Chic' but this was just 'Shabby Shabby'. Meeting up with my chums later (they where staying in doubles) it was much the same, with stories of windows being screwed shut, dirty carpets, and the shower consisting of those pink udder milking type things stuck over the bath taps. Breakfast was reasonable, if not a little greasy and was presented in a buffet 'serve yourself' style, which is perfect if you what a huge portion of dried up fried eggs.

I'm not sure if the cost was bumped up because it was one of the Chester race weekends but for me this was very bad value for £50.00. The 2 other B&B's we stayed in on our tour (Shrewsbury, Market Drayton) where both £36.00 and by a cycling mile, far better quality. Perhaps you pay a premium for Chester, which is beautiful but if you are thinking of staying in this hotel for a romantic weekend,- don't (my misses would have given me major grief!) especially as ALL the guests at breakfast that morning where men, which is probably the best indicator to the type of hotel this is. Oh, yes, also avoid the Chester race weekend if you are looking for a quite night in Chester - we had a ball!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank Clarkie1957
Reviewed 18 June 2013

Arrived at Belgrave Hotel, initial thoughts... dated, but hey as long as it's clean that's ok right?

Well, given the benefit of the doubt, I found hairs all over the room, especially on window sill. Bed linen had holes, and were obviously old as the flower pattern had faded, and don't get me started on the pillows. The bathroom was serviceable but small.

Dated I can cope with, but dirt isn't acceptable.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank NWG104
Reviewed 2 June 2013

We Stayed as needed somewhere to rest our heads after night out.Check in was efficient & staff friendly to talk to! Hotel & rooms Clean, excellent value for money & great location right by the train station too, which is very useful!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
sancastle, Owner at Belgrave Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 June 2013

Thank you for your response, we are pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to see you again

Reviewed 23 May 2013

We got off the train in Chester,United Kingdom around 8pm. It was raining and so we asked people around the station if they knew of a safe and clean hotel close by. A guy got on his phone and said , "I have 4 American women here looking for a room, do you have one? Then he said," spxo% they will not pay that much!." Called a couple others. Then a woman walked up and said , if you walk straight down the street there are a few clean and safe hotels. I left in the pouring rain, got back for the girls with us having rooms for the night and we took off back to the pretty restuarant across from the train station. Had a nice meal . lots of laughs and a great stay.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
sancastle, Manager at Belgrave Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2013

Thank you for your comments. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to see you again.

Reviewed 18 May 2013 via mobile

I can honestly say this hotel is dated. Yes it's cheap and you can certainly see why, we checked in and decide within 2 minutes that we could not stay there. If I where you I would definitely not stay there unless its for a stag party, certainly not a hotel for a couple. Yes it's cheap which is good if your looking for CHEAP but you certainly get what you pay for in this case. No shower facilities where available no lift and no offer of assistance with our bags.

• Stayed: May 2013

We are sorry that you didn't want to stay here

There is always someone to help with luggage and we offer this.

We do not have a lift and this is mentioned on our website.

All our rooms are en-suite and have either a bath or shower. If you had requested a shower we would have accommodated you.