“Don't bother wasting your Money” 1 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Belgrave
Ranked #40 of 45 Hotels in Chester
Congleton, United Kingdom
“Don't bother wasting your Money”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2014

I paid for the room up front at reception before I was handed the keys, this was my second mistake, usually I check this site before I book any accommodation, this was last minute and I failed to do so at my cost, room 23 I stayed in £59 , double room, green bathroom, no shower, room a 70's throw back including blankets not a Duvet, room very cold, smelt of dirty and damp , towels clean, location fine , 5 min's walk to town, I wouldn't ever stay again even if free, if you've any sense stay away, this hotel needs to read the reviews on this site and address all the issues before they market the rooms out as fit worthy accommodation.

Room Tip: Don't bother and book elsewhere
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
sancastle, Manager at Belgrave, responded to this review, 27 February 2014
We are sorry that you weren't happy with your room which was a Triple Room when you only paid for a Double Room. The only complaint we received was on your departure, if you had told us you were not happy with a bath we could have accommodated you in another room with a shower. If at any time during your stay you had told us you were feeling cold we would have provided you with a heater.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Cheshire
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2014 via mobile

On arrival the staff seem friendly enough. Bedroom was ok but smelt damp, but the most surprising thing and uncomfortable thing was the men/man drinking in the bar, he seems to be a residence of the hotel, he was very loud and quiet disrespectful of his family and staff. At this point I wanted to leave the hotel, but as I was staying with friends and going out for the night we stayed .. We did enjoy the night out but heard lots of arguing coming from the other rooms when we arrived back and at this point the hotel seemed more of a drop in for strays . We didn't stay for breakfast and left quiet early the next day ..... Wouldn't stay here with a boyfriend or family ok for a night out as very cheap

Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends

Travellers are raving about these Chester hotels

Alderley Edge, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 January 2014

The hotel was pretty much as expected given how little I paid! Having worked in Chester I used to walk past this hotel daily so I knew it wasn't going to be anything special, however I just wanted a cheap bed after a night out which I would barely be spending any time there so this fitted the bill.
The hotel is dated and I have to be honest the musty smell and the bedding and carpet made my skin creep a little when I first checked in, but after a night on the town I didn't give it a second thought getting into bed!!
The owner is very welcoming and friendly, its close enough to the centre to walk and was relatively cheap so I would probably stay here again for my next night out with old work friends.
I would not stay here with my boyfriend, family or friends though as it is the last place I want to socialise in!
Also worth noting there is no hotel car park - I parked in the one behind (the road to the right of the hotel) which wasn't accepting payment for the time I wanted (i.e. 9am the next morning), only up to midnight which was frustrating! Instead I had to pay via my GoPark app for 24 hours! The only consolation is that I don't think I could have found a better hotel for the £7.50 extra the parking cost!!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Manchester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2014 via mobile

Stayed here New Year's Eve. The staff were lovely but as for our room its was terrible. The room was outdated and had a musky smell. The room was so cold we was shivering. I asked the staff when the heating would come on and was told it would be on later. The Heating then came on for one hour barley enough time to warm the room and then was back off again. Luckily we went out for New Year's Eve and the good thing was it was close to the centre. When we came back again the room
Was cold and we slept with three covers over us. The bed was uncomfortable and didn't get much sleep. The room cost us 63 quid for the night including the deposit and this didn't even include breakfast. I suggest Saving your money and going a travel lodge or premier inn more
Value for money.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
sancastle, Manager at Belgrave, responded to this review, 4 January 2014
We are sorry that you didn't enjoy your stay, however your friend has been here on several occasions and she has never complained before, and didn't make any complaint over the New Year period. The price you paid was for a double room with two people sharing. The hotel was full on New Years Eve and we had no other complaints as the heating was on. After breakfast on New Years Day we responded to your complaint that you were cold by providing you with a heater.
Caersws, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 December 2013

Spent one night in room 20 which I thought was very small even for a single. Sheets were clean, towels were clean but oh dear me I must have had THE most uncomfortable, creaky mattress in all of Chester! I'm sure springs went out when I was a child. On the plus side it was very handy for the train station, there was a car park at the rear (£3.50 per day) and everyone we encountered was very friendly.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank auntielin
sancastle, Manager at Belgrave, responded to this review, 6 December 2013
Thank you for your review. We are sorry you found the mattress uncomfortable, if we had known sooner we could have changed it for you. Hope to see you again
Liverpool, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 November 2013

Plus points: Friendly staff, proximity to the city and station.
Negatives: Got the last room on a Saturday night and it showed. Tiny garret attic room with a rickety camp bed that wobbled and felt like it would collapse any minute. Well worn carpet, old sheets, malfunctioning TV, terribly dim lighting ( there was even an old lamp standard dumped in the middle of the floor with no plug attached!), minute shower unit and windows that wouldn't shut properly, no lift so huge climb to the top of the building up three flights of very steep staircase with heavy case. Sunday breakfast was passable but for the room price - nearly £70 - we won't be coming back.

Room Tip: Book early - if at all
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank mike c
sancastle, Manager at Belgrave, responded to this review, 13 November 2013
We are sorry that you were unhappy with your room. All the rooms are cleaned on a regular basis and laundry is sent out to a laundry service. The bed in the room is a solid pine bed. There is a standard size shower cubicle en suite. We have had no complaints in the past about the windows not closing properly.
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2013

I booked a room with 'Booking.com' on 4/11/13. The room was Stinking Dirty, I wouldn't let my dog stay there, as soon as I arrived the next room was playing loud music, I tried to move rooms and was told none left? They said they would knock and tell them to turn the Rave Music down? I said I was off and got ripped off £30 for being in a room for two minutes? Don't ever go to this Hole it's the Armpit of Chester? As for Booking.com what a Joke!

• Stayed November 2013
sancastle, Manager at Belgrave, responded to this review, 13 November 2013
We were unaware of the loud noise coming from that room until we were informed and once we were aware, the situation was dealt with. All our rooms are cleaned on a daily basis and the laundry is sent out to a laundry service. If you had given us the chance we would have moved you to another room