Belgrave Hotel
  • Breakfast included
  • Bar/Lounge
Bawn Lodge(Chester)
  • Restaurant
All reviewstrain stationbit datedplenty of hot waterone night staywould stay againfull english
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

arrived teatime, staff was friendly and sorted us a room,and showed us the room before we decided. A double bedroom cost us £65 for the night with breakfast so it wasnt tòo bad. The room was basic, and in need of updating, especially the lamp shade in room 11,but the bedding was clean and the towels were clean,and soap was included. There was a tv and tea making stuff. The breakfast was ok, for what we paid. The hotel is close to the train station,about 2 mins away,and the town about 10 mins so its in a gòod location.

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank Donna P
sancastle, Manager at Belgrave Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2014

Thank you for your comments, we are pleased that you enjoyed your stay in Chester and hope to see you again

Reviewed 8 May 2014

I'm not quick to judge when it comes to reviews on this website and I was not put off by the bad reviews by other members because I have experienced lovely hotels that were scorned by bad press on TripAdvisor.

However, I was genuinely disappointed with this hotel, especially for the price we paid.

Me and 2 friends stayed over on Saturday 3rd May for one night, in a triple room (room 24) which cost us £75 (which didn't even include breakfast)! Yes, I know it was bank holiday weekend, but the Travelodge just up the road was only £10 more expensive and I really wish I had paid the extra and stayed there.

Upon arrival, the place was shabby but this doesn't really deter me. We then walk up to our room (a hefty two floors up some steep stairs, with precariously placed doors - not sure if there was a lift for those who needed it) and are greeted by a very GROTTY carpet, with a number of iron burns, and an overwhelming smell of damp/mold. One bed was so close to the door it was a wonder it opened.

The bathroom was very small indeed - especially for quite a big room - and the shower could have definitely done with a good scrub - the toilet, however, was clean although the flushing mechanism was awful on it. The room was not supplied with rolls of toilet paper but instead a sheet dispenser, which you would expect to find in public bathrooms, not hotels.

Some good points though that people have said they did not experience - the heating was on and the hotel room was lovely and warm both when we were in it early evening and then when we came back after a night out at 3am. I found the towels and bedding to be clean and fresh, with extra blankets in the wardrobe if necessary.

Staff appeared to be relatively friendly but a bit disorganised - we had to give in a £5 refundable deposit when taking a front door key (as we were planning to be out after 11pm), but when it came to getting the £5 back we were told there was no record of this being the case. Thankfully the lady behind the counter rang the gentleman who originally served us, but it did cause a delay and was a bit annoying really.

Overall, I wouldn't stay here again, UNLESS they dropped the price to reflect on the premises you are staying in.

Room Tip: Go the to Travelodge or Premier Inn up the road.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank LizzeeMoo
sancastle, Manager at Belgrave Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2014

The cost £ 75.00 for a Triple Room, works out to £ 25.00 per person. As to the room being small it is approx 26 sq metres and there are three single beds in the room. Unfortunately a client had burnt the carpet and we had been unable to replace it at short notice.

Reviewed 21 April 2014 via mobile

Where do I start, there are so many things wrong with this hotel. We made our way up to room 29 and when walking through the door I could tell that part of the hotel was really cold compared to the rest. The central heating wasn't on so we complained to who I think was the owner and asked to move rooms. He refused and said it was cold because the window had been left open and told us the central heating would come on at 5pm. We went out and sure enough when we returned at 5:30, it still hadn't come on so I complained again. This time we were told it would come on but it takes time for it to heat up and he gave us a fan heater. The heating didn't come on all night and the manager knew this but instead of moving us to a different room he just lied to us. No wonder he took payment as soon as we arrived. Alarm bells starting ringing as soon as this happened.
As if it wasn't bad enough that we had to stay in a cold room there was also terrible smell coming from a broken pipe in our bathroom which had been covered with a plastic bag. I woke up in the morning and the room smelt like sewage. It was then when I realised why the window in our room had been left open when we arrived!
In addition to all of the above issues the hotel was dated, extremely grubby and there were hairs in the bed.
I wouldn't stay here again for free. Take this as a warning and find another hotel.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Joanna C
sancastle, Manager at Belgrave Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2014

When you booked into the hotel you were given a Double Room as requested, however your friends were in a Triple Room which we can use as Double or Twin. When you realised this you asked to swap to a bigger room, however we were full and could not accommodate you elsewhere.

The windows are left open when the cleaners have been in to freshen the rooms.

The heating is on from 6 pm to 12 midnight and again from 4 am to 9 am. We provided you with a heater as you complained about being cold. We had no other complaints that weekend of people being cold

Reviewed 24 February 2014

I paid for the room up front at reception before I was handed the keys, this was my second mistake, usually I check this site before I book any accommodation, this was last minute and I failed to do so at my cost, room 23 I stayed in £59 , double room, green bathroom, no shower, room a 70's throw back including blankets not a Duvet, room very cold, smelt of dirty and damp , towels clean, location fine , 5 min's walk to town, I wouldn't ever stay again even if free, if you've any sense stay away, this hotel needs to read the reviews on this site and address all the issues before they market the rooms out as fit worthy accommodation.

Room Tip: Don't bother and book elsewhere
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
sancastle, Manager at Belgrave Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2014

We are sorry that you weren't happy with your room which was a Triple Room when you only paid for a Double Room. The only complaint we received was on your departure, if you had told us you were not happy with a bath we could have accommodated you in another room with a shower. If at any time during your stay you had told us you were feeling cold we would have provided you with a heater.

Reviewed 22 January 2014

On arrival the staff seem friendly enough. Bedroom was ok but smelt damp, but the most surprising thing and uncomfortable thing was the men/man drinking in the bar, he seems to be a residence of the hotel, he was very loud and quiet disrespectful of his family and staff. At this point I wanted to leave the hotel, but as I was staying with friends and going out for the night we stayed .. We did enjoy the night out but heard lots of arguing coming from the other rooms when we arrived back and at this point the hotel seemed more of a drop in for strays . We didn't stay for breakfast and left quiet early the next day ..... Wouldn't stay here with a boyfriend or family ok for a night out as very cheap

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends