“Ok hotel, good location”

Holiday Inn Chester South
Ranked #21 of 45 Hotels in Chester
Reviewed 12 September 2011

Stayed at this hotel for 2 nights with friends. The cost of the room was probably a bit more that it should have been considering you have to pay extra for breakfast.
The restaurant food and breakfast here is VERY expensive, more than most. You get a discount for breakfast if you book the night before but even then it was terribly expensive @ £10. It was a buffet breakfast with cooked food, but I still think it was overpriced.
The restaurant prices were more expensive than a lovely posh restaurant we went to in Chester itself and you got a very small portion too. It is worth the cheap taxi fare just to make the effort to have dinner in town.
The pool and jacuzzi were nice but full of noisy children all weekend, which you should bear in mind if you're planning a heavy night and a hangover the next day (no peace!)
It was a shame that the saunas were in the changing rooms, which meant if you want to share it with your other half, or male/female friends, then you can't.
The rooms were great and the shower was very powerful - good.
We tried to call room service but it just rung out and no one answered, so we ended up having to go and order the food at the bar and then go back down to collect it when it was ready.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank lidz_2000
HolidayInn1, Manager at Holiday Inn Chester South, responded to this reviewResponded 15 September 2011

Many thanks for taking the time post a review of your stay. It is always disappointing to hear when we fail to meet our guests’ expectations.
We will certainly pass on your comments regarding overpriced food and location of saunas as it is only through constructive coments such as yours that improvements can be made.
If you are ever in the Chester area, we would welcome the opportunity to restore your faith in the hotel.

Reviewed 2 September 2011

Easy to locate and only a few miles into Chester with a park & ride located close by. Near to motorways for exploring Cheshire & North Wales.
On arrival check in staff were very pleasant and efficient. Hotel had that tired look and whilst walking to room passed a male cleaner who was unfriendly and we were greeted with sight of dirty linen and empty glasses on floor with the latter remaining outside rooms till the following morning..
Room itself a reasonable size but had a stale and unpleasant odour with the bathroon dowdy and scruffy looking. We asked for a non smoking room but there was evidence of cigarette smell.
We were on a family stay of two nights and on the first morning at 8.05am the cleaner tried to access the room which in our view was too early and luckily our chain was on. She tried unsuccessfully with other rooms making a lot of noise in the process. Although far from wanting to stay in bed till mid morning our plan was to have a bit of a lie in before setting of on our travels after 9am whenearly morning commuter traffic had gone. We mentioned being awoken to reception who were apologetic agreeing it was too early to disturb guests stating housekeeping would be told but the same occurance repeated itself the following morning!!!
The hotel was noisy which to be fair we would not blame Holiday Inn for families with unruly children running up corridors making noise, however signs could be on show stating no running and to keep quiet or even the staff could try to enforce.
Not a brilliant experience sadly the overall stay.

3  Thank Grant R

Thank you for your comments regarding a recent stay at this hotel.
I was sorry to learn that you experienced a few problems during your stay but would advise that we are looking into all the points commented on. All our rooms are non-smoking and should not smell of smoke. Any guest found to be smoking in a bedroom is charged a substantial cleaning fee and I would apologise if this was not picked up when the room was serviced.
I have also asked my Housekeeping Manager to ensure that all linen and crockery is removed from corridors at the earliest opportunity and not left lying around for lengthy periods.
Thank you once again for your coments.

Reviewed 31 August 2011

My husband, 11-year-old son and I stayed at the Holiday Inn (Chester South) en route to Holyhead from Norfolk. It's reasonably handy for the Holyhead ferry - it took us about 1 and a half hours to drive on from Chester. My husband booked a room for three on line. It was trickier than he expected getting a 3-bedded room and he requested a quiet room, so I think we got the last of the "executive" rooms. Check-in went smoothly and we were told about the evening meal and breakfast rates. The hotel is spread out rather than built upwards, so it was quite a long walk over to our room. There is an interesting mural on the staircase leading away from the reception area. On the way to our room we passed a pile of used sheets (at 3.30 in the afternoon) left out in a corridor and a couple of trays outside bedrooms (one set of trays was left overnight!). For an executive room, it was quite small. I've stayed in bigger non-executive rooms elsewhere, including a Holiday Inn in Helsinki. That said, it was a quiet room and the Japanese-style wooden sliding panels at the windows (instead of curtains) were a good idea. Apart from the usual kettle, tea, coffee and biscuits, there were a couple of hot chocolate sachets and a Mars Bar (the son was delighted).

I had a heavy cold so stayed in the room while the husband and son went off for a swim. They thought the facilities at the pool were good.

On arrival we'd booked a table in the restaurant. Children under 12 can eat free of charge if they choose from the children's menu. Our 11-year-old opted for the adult menu and chose a chicken meal, which he thought was good. The husband had a steak - no complaints. I had a lamb and chorizo pie which was fine (my cold meant I couldn't taste much). The son then had creme brulee, which didn't have the requisite burnt crunchy top and the custard was liquid. We brought it to the attention of the restaurant manager, who was apologetic and pleasant. The restaurant bill came to about £60 for three main courses, a beer, a glass of wine and three soft drinks (this included a Holiday Inn club discount and a 15% service charge). (The unsatisfactory pudding wasn't charged for.) The husband thought it was a little expensive for the standard of the food.

it wasn't until we went back to our room that we discovered that the third bed (a pull-out drawer in the sofa) wasn't made up. The husband phoned down to reception and a waitress had to come from the dining room with the sheet.

We slept well and headed down for breakfast in the morning. We were greeted cheerfully and politely and told about the breakfast choices. There was a good selection at the breakfast buffet: cereals, fresh fruit, pastries and the "full English". I was able to order poached eggs (my favourite hotel treat) and they were delicious. Breakfast isn't included in the room rate: it was £9.95 per adult (children eat free). The husband is a priority club member which gave us a reduced rate for breakfast and a free newspaper delivered to our bedroom.

Our stay was fine, the staff were very helpful and dealt with queries and complaints very well.

2  Thank Uranus7

Thank you very much for the comments you have posted on this website following your recent stay with us.
I do hope the few negative issues commented upon did not spoil your enjoyment and I will ensure these are passed on to the Heads of Department concerned in order that any appropriate corrective action can be carried out.
I was, however, pleased to read that overall you enjoyed your stay with us.

Reviewed 26 August 2011

My daughter grandson and myself stay one night at the holiday inn, has we were visiting chester zoo the next day, it been in a good location for visiting the zoo. We found the staff pleasant, the hotel of a good standard and the room ideal and well furnished, there was a choice of everything for breakfast all in all we enjoyed our stay, however having left the hotel I realised I had left some jewellery in the room, after ringing the hotel over the next three days (because they never returned my call) I have realised my chance of retrieving it is nil, so my advice is to unlike me be more vigilant when checking the room on leaving.

1  Thank Janet C

Thank you for your very kind comments regarding your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Chester South.
I have asked both my Housekeeping and Reception Managers to carry out an investigation to try to trace your jewellery and would ask you to contact the hotel and speak to either Manager in a few days time.

Reviewed 21 August 2011

Stayed at this hotel with my wife and another couple over the weekend of the Races. We ended up staying here as I could not get the Doubletree at a reasonable rate. In the end I booked this through Superbreaks (2 nights B&B for 2 people with dinner on the first night free - cost £120) and this was exceptional value and I would defo recomm this hotel.

Firstly all the staff were very friendly and helpful and couldnt have done more for us. I didn't realise Roger Federer would be serving us dinner - those guests that have been will know what I mean here.

The dinner was fantastic value - £20 allowance per person. I was blown away with this value as I had even considered not eating in the hotel as I thought given the price I had paid the dinner would not have been up to much. We had 3 course each (one of which was a Sirlion Steak) and only had to pay an extra few pounds and then our wine on top.

Bfast was also very good.

I did not get a chance to visit the pool but also had drinks and snacks in the bar and again the service was exceptional.

Well done to all the staff in this hotel and I will now be looking for this knid of service from other more expensive hotels I visit.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Zabza29

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your comments on Trip Advisor following your recent visit to our hotel.
I am glad that you forun the hotel to be good vallue for money andI will certainly ensure that your positive comments are passed on to all staff.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel sometime soon.

Reviewed 21 August 2011

arrived early and was checked in so really good. room was ok a bit dated. swimming and hot tube very good. food expensive for what it was.
trying to sleep was not good traffic noise was quiet loud and corridor floor borads are very noisey.
another gripe was paying a holding free even though the room was pre paid and it took a week and a half to get back into my account. With little help or answers from staff

• Stayed: June 2011

Many thanks for taking the time to post a review of your stay. It is always disappointing to hear when we fail to meet our guests’ expectations, without feedback such as this it is impossible to improve our service and standards.

Reviewed 21 August 2011

Myself,husband and two children have just rturned from one nights stay and can honestly say it was far better than i had expected. We checked in easily with no hasstle and the reception staff were friendly and helpfull,the area in the reception was clean and nice looking. We were given an executive suit which was on the first floor (no lifts but we were offered help upstairs with bags which we declined)
The room was really lovely,modern and clean, two childrens beds made up from the sofabed and a double, there was a mini bar in the fridge which was obviously expensive and a complimentory tray with teas,coffees,cookies,galaxy hot chocolates,marsbars,still and sparkling water all which the kids loved alongside the nice white bathrobes, these small things make it more excing and memorable for children.
We used the pool and jacuzzi which again was really nice and clean, the staff were helpfull and polite, the pool was shallow all the way across which was ideal for us with two children and it overlooks the gym which looked a decent size and well equipt.
The resturaunt was quite expensive so we asked where was close by for us to go out to eat, again they were really helpfull and we ended up going in to chester.
We had breakfast included with our stay which was lovely, all hot and fresh and was constantly been re filled, there was cold meats and cheeses, fresh fruit and yogurt,toast and pastries and full cooked english, the young waiter who was working that morning was really kind and helpfull to us and our children , he showed an interest in our stay and told us about the new cheetah cubs at the zoo . We were never made to feel rushed even when the other guests without children all started to come down for breakfast a bit later on, we had another coffee and read the complimentary morning paper before heading off to the zoo.
If i was to have just a tiny grumble it would be about the noise of other guests (which i know is not the hotels fault) the floors are wood so you hear every little foot step, also instead of curtains there was sliding wood doors over the windows which looked cool but it was bang, bang, bang everytime a guest in the near vicinity closed or opened them and that is really all that there was to grumble about.
We had a great stay and would definatly recommend to others and we would go back .
The hotel was close to chester and i believe there was a bus which ran every ten mins

2  Thank y0rkshiregal

Thank you for taking the time to upload your positive comments onto this website. It is great to read that your stay with us was a comfortable one and in particular, you found our staff friendly and helpful.
Come back and visit us again soon.