“Decent hotel decent location”

Holiday Inn Chester South
Ranked #21 of 45 Hotels in Chester
Reviewed 19 November 2011

Good hotel located a small bus ride from centre of chester
Beds comfortable rooms clean maybe a little dated
excellent staff who were all very helpfull
overall a good hotel for exploring chester and surrounding area for a decent price

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
HolidayInn1, Manager at Holiday Inn Chester South, responded to this reviewResponded 24 November 2011

Many thanks for taking the time to review your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Chester South. It is always pleasing to hear positive comments, about the staff and service they offer.
As you say, the hotel is conveniently situated for visiting Chester and the surrounding area.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again in the not too distant future.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,174)

Reviewed 12 November 2011

Stayed at this hotel for it's budget price = £34.50 per night. Our room was a fair walk from the main reception and the carpet looked pretty tired to say the least. Welcomed at reception and booked a table for dinner. There was an incident in the restaurant with a very drunk man using vile language - he was evicted from the restaurant by the lone female duty manager with some assistance from the police (two cars arrived - what service). We did receive a free bottle of wine for our trouble. Our beds weren't done after the first night, and had to wait for the evening housekeeping to arrive to replace towels etc. Overall ok stay - close to chester, service bus opposite hotel. Would probably use again but certainly not to the standard of the Holiday Inn in Chester town centre.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends

Thank you for your constructive comments.
I can assure you that we have taken these comments on board and are currently looking into all the issues mentioned.
I do hope you will give us the opportunity of redeeming our reputation by returning to the hotel on a future occasion.

Reviewed 8 November 2011

I stayed here just one night. It has a good car park. The reception area is quite smart and the staff checked me in efficiently. In my room: 1. hairdrier did not work. 2.Room safe did not work. 3.My newspaper was not delivered. 4.The bathroom was not as clean as it should have been. 5.Dust and dirt under the bed. 6.Broken caster on the bed. 7.duvets stained (ugh!!). 8. Towel rail cold.

Breakfast @ £9.95 was overpriced though it was good food.

I went to use the pool but the changing rooms waere closed and a notice told clients to change and shower in their bedrooms.

Naturally I have reported all this to Holiday Inn. ( the check out staff do not ask if your stay was OK and neither are there guest questionnaires in the rooms).

I was glad to get out and shall stay elsewhere next time in Chester as there are lots of other hotels.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo

Many thanks for taking the time post a review of your stay. It is always disappointing to hear when we fail to meet our guests’ expectations, without feedback such as this it is impossible to improve our service and standards. If you are ever in the Chester area, we would welcome the opportunity to restore your faith in the hotel.

Reviewed 7 November 2011

If you want to visit Chester then this hotel is comfortable and well placed. Just outside is a frequent bis service to the City centre.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your message on the Tripadvisor website following your recent visit to our hotel and I am pleased to hear that you felt our hotel was well located for guests visiting Chester and the surrounding area.
We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 7 November 2011

I have stayed at the Holiday Inn Chester South many times, and eventually as they were offering such good wedding packages, got married here in February 2011.
The hotel looks very dated in style from the outside (but not in decoration which is good) but inside the place as had a great makeover.
Reception staff are great and very friendly and check in is always smooth.
Finding your room can sometimes be difficult as the hotel is built on 2 floors on a square, with a garden in the centre. There are many corridors and finding friends if you are staying with any can sometimes be diffuicult, but fun.
The rooms are great and if you can get a deal and get a deluxe room for a good price its worth it. Wodden shuuters on the windows, minifridge, iron and ironing board, hairdryer, trouser press are all included. The only thing you dont get in the standard room is the fridge. There is a desk in each room with a light.
Bathrooms are good and roomy, plenty of towels provided, you also get shampoo etc minitures.
The pool area and gym are a good size, but the ppol can get very busy with children at times. however is still good for relaxing. They have other spa treatments that you can book (best booked in advance).
Food is loveley, breakfast is buffet style, and Sunday lunch is a must, last time I visited it was under £3 for lunch and was very tasty.
There is a bar in the hotel, with an outdoor patio area, drinks are normal hotel prices.
The decoration generally around the hotel is of good quality.
I decided after several stays for Christmas Pary Nights, to book my wedding here. The Christmas Pary nights were always good value and the food delicious, and on my wedding day they did not let me down.
I got a £1000 deal for my wedding, and obvioulsy added extras but I ended up only paying the hotel around £1500, and that was for a 3 course meal for 60 in the day, buffet in the eveining for 110, disco, cake stand, master of cermonies and a drinks package also included was a room for my new husband and I overnight. Really excellent value, and I was very very happy with my day. A few minor hickups, but nothing that spoilt my day, and I would recommend anyone ot get married here. Lisa and Ronald were very helpful in all the planning.
Getting back to basics, this hotel is good for a short stay, a long weekend, or a week to visit the area. Its good if your on business in the area, and the Chester Business Park is next door.

Room Tip: Go for a deluxe room if you can get a good rate or even free upgrade. There is never any harm in ask...
  • Stayed: February 2011, travelled with friends

Thank you for your very kind comments about the hotel and for taking the time to share your experience. It was a pleasure to read your very detailed review and I'm delighted that you found the hotel, the staff and the food exceeded your expectations.
We have a dedicated Special Events team here at the hotel that help guests with the planning and organising of their special occasion and so make it hassle free. I am so glad that your wedding was as good as you hoped it would be.
Thank you once again for your comments and we look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel.

Reviewed 7 November 2011

We booked 5 rooms for a family birthday, advance purchase including dinner and breakfast.
First impressions from the car park are that we had arrived at Crossroads Motel, however the inside is much better and the rooms are of a good size, warm and clean. The decor is fairly featureless and bland but does the job for one or two nights. The bathroom is a good size although when I ran a bath the water was brown, as was the water from the sink and in the toilet.The welcome at reception was good and all the staff were friendly and hard working although they seemed to fill lots of different roles. The barman at night was replenishing breakfast items. The inclusive dinner was not great (avoid the fish and chips, frozen fish and frozen chips) The steaks were good however if a little pricey and came with the frozen chips and half a tomatoe! Breakfast was an altogether more disorganised affair (apparently some of the staff hadnt turned in) and it seemd 2 waiters were trying unsucessfully to serve a busy dining room which meant we had to ask 3 times for a pot of tea for 2 and got a pot of tea for 1 after a 30 minute wait. Bar prices are very high as are prices for tea and coffee. Would I stay here again? not unless it was significantly cheaper than the price we paid.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family

Thank you for your constructive comments.
I do hope the few negative issues commented upon did not spoil your enjoyment and I will ensure these are passed on to the Heads of Department concerned in order that any appropriate corrective action can be carried out.
On a positive note, I am glad that you found our rooms to be comfortable and clean and hope to welcome you back to the hotel at sometime in the future.

Reviewed 6 November 2011

We stayed on a 2 for 1 deal i found via MSE. It was nice clean hotel, but a little rough round the edges. The staff were excellent and very helpful. The only problem for us was there was no lift and I was on crutches! But the staff offered to help with my bags. Secondly we noticed the hot water was slightly brown, but again when i mentioned this to staff they soon went to look at the issue, further more the Manager knocked of some charges from my bill for the inconvenience. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your comments regarding our hotel.
We were pleased to read that overall you enjoyed your stay with us and do hope that the minor issues mentioned did not spoil your visit.
We are looking into the issues you have commented on and apologise for any inconvenience caused.