“Very Good Hotel”

Ranked #20 of 44 Hotels in Chester
Nottinghamshire, UK
“Very Good Hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2011

I stayed her for three nights on business and when I first arrived I was worried by what this hotel would be like as from the outside it is very unimpressive. It is an ugly 70s/80s building with absolutely no redeeeming features. However, once inside my opinion completely changed. The staff were all very friendly and helpful. Check in was fast and I was soon on the way to my room. Here is where the hotels only fault lies. There are only two floors and the hotel has been built such that there appears to only be one corrider. This meant that the walk to my room was very long. Once in my room though I was able to relax in clean and comfortable surroundings. There was a large new flatscreen TV that had the main freeview channels including the HD ones which was very impressive.
The food was very nice. A simple choice of the usual pub type dishes but the ones I had were well prepared and very tasty.
I attempted to use the pool but there was a fitness class in progress. The member of staff who saw me approaching immediately informed me that the class was about to finish but I was on a tight schedule so didn't bother using the pool. It seemed okay though.
I was here on business so the hotels out of town location was fine. If I was in Chester for leisure I would still be tempted to use this hotel as it is very good and there is a park and ride bus stop directly outside which will get you into town for about £3 return in just a few minutes..
Overall, I was very mpressed and would definately stay here again. The hotel only loses a point due to the ugliness of the exterior and the bad layout of the hotel

Room Tip: If you dont like long waqlks ask for a room near reception.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (215)
Gateshead,Tyne and Wear, UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2011

Booked 2 nights B & B through Superbreak and had Dinner on 1st night up to value of £20.
Daughter, son in law and 2 year old had family room which was smaller than double I had although adequate. Ate in restaurant 1st night and food was fine. Drinks were expensive I thought although perhaps £3.85 for Newcastle Brown and £3.80 for pint of Becks is not unusual for hotels these days.
Lots of choice at breakfast with the usual cooked buffet selection and cold meats, cheeses, fruit juice and cereals.
Park and ride to City within walking distance.
Staff were very pleasant and obliging.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
Hartlepool, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2011

Good hotel located a small bus ride from centre of chester
Beds comfortable rooms clean maybe a little dated
excellent staff who were all very helpfull
overall a good hotel for exploring chester and surrounding area for a decent price

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
HolidayInn1, Manager at Holiday Inn Chester South, responded to this review, 24 November 2011
Many thanks for taking the time to review your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Chester South. It is always pleasing to hear positive comments, about the staff and service they offer.
As you say, the hotel is conveniently situated for visiting Chester and the surrounding area.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again in the not too distant future.
Wales
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2011

Stayed at this hotel for it's budget price = £34.50 per night. Our room was a fair walk from the main reception and the carpet looked pretty tired to say the least. Welcomed at reception and booked a table for dinner. There was an incident in the restaurant with a very drunk man using vile language - he was evicted from the restaurant by the lone female duty manager with some assistance from the police (two cars arrived - what service). We did receive a free bottle of wine for our trouble. Our beds weren't done after the first night, and had to wait for the evening housekeeping to arrive to replace towels etc. Overall ok stay - close to chester, service bus opposite hotel. Would probably use again but certainly not to the standard of the Holiday Inn in Chester town centre.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
Thank you for your constructive comments.
I can assure you that we have taken these comments on board and are currently looking into all the issues mentioned.
I do hope you will give us the opportunity of redeeming our reputation by returning to the hotel on a future occasion.
London
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 November 2011

I stayed here just one night. It has a good car park. The reception area is quite smart and the staff checked me in efficiently. In my room: 1. hairdrier did not work. 2.Room safe did not work. 3.My newspaper was not delivered. 4.The bathroom was not as clean as it should have been. 5.Dust and dirt under the bed. 6.Broken caster on the bed. 7.duvets stained (ugh!!). 8. Towel rail cold.

Breakfast @ £9.95 was overpriced though it was good food.

I went to use the pool but the changing rooms waere closed and a notice told clients to change and shower in their bedrooms.

Naturally I have reported all this to Holiday Inn. ( the check out staff do not ask if your stay was OK and neither are there guest questionnaires in the rooms).

I was glad to get out and shall stay elsewhere next time in Chester as there are lots of other hotels.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
Many thanks for taking the time post a review of your stay. It is always disappointing to hear when we fail to meet our guests’ expectations, without feedback such as this it is impossible to improve our service and standards. If you are ever in the Chester area, we would welcome the opportunity to restore your faith in the hotel.

Travellers are raving about these Chester hotels

Oxford
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2011

If you want to visit Chester then this hotel is comfortable and well placed. Just outside is a frequent bis service to the City centre.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Thank you very much for taking the time to post your message on the Tripadvisor website following your recent visit to our hotel and I am pleased to hear that you felt our hotel was well located for guests visiting Chester and the surrounding area.
We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Wirral, Merseyside, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2011

I have stayed at the Holiday Inn Chester South many times, and eventually as they were offering such good wedding packages, got married here in February 2011.
The hotel looks very dated in style from the outside (but not in decoration which is good) but inside the place as had a great makeover.
Reception staff are great and very friendly and check in is always smooth.
Finding your room can sometimes be difficult as the hotel is built on 2 floors on a square, with a garden in the centre. There are many corridors and finding friends if you are staying with any can sometimes be diffuicult, but fun.
The rooms are great and if you can get a deal and get a deluxe room for a good price its worth it. Wodden shuuters on the windows, minifridge, iron and ironing board, hairdryer, trouser press are all included. The only thing you dont get in the standard room is the fridge. There is a desk in each room with a light.
Bathrooms are good and roomy, plenty of towels provided, you also get shampoo etc minitures.
The pool area and gym are a good size, but the ppol can get very busy with children at times. however is still good for relaxing. They have other spa treatments that you can book (best booked in advance).
Food is loveley, breakfast is buffet style, and Sunday lunch is a must, last time I visited it was under £3 for lunch and was very tasty.
There is a bar in the hotel, with an outdoor patio area, drinks are normal hotel prices.
The decoration generally around the hotel is of good quality.
I decided after several stays for Christmas Pary Nights, to book my wedding here. The Christmas Pary nights were always good value and the food delicious, and on my wedding day they did not let me down.
I got a £1000 deal for my wedding, and obvioulsy added extras but I ended up only paying the hotel around £1500, and that was for a 3 course meal for 60 in the day, buffet in the eveining for 110, disco, cake stand, master of cermonies and a drinks package also included was a room for my new husband and I overnight. Really excellent value, and I was very very happy with my day. A few minor hickups, but nothing that spoilt my day, and I would recommend anyone ot get married here. Lisa and Ronald were very helpful in all the planning.
Getting back to basics, this hotel is good for a short stay, a long weekend, or a week to visit the area. Its good if your on business in the area, and the Chester Business Park is next door.

Room Tip: Go for a deluxe room if you can get a good rate or even free upgrade. There is never any harm in ask...
  • Stayed February 2011, travelled with friends
Thank you for your very kind comments about the hotel and for taking the time to share your experience. It was a pleasure to read your very detailed review and I'm delighted that you found the hotel, the staff and the food exceeded your expectations.
We have a dedicated Special Events team here at the hotel that help guests with the planning and organising of their special occasion and so make it hassle free. I am so glad that your wedding was as good as you hoped it would be.
Thank you once again for your comments and we look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel.