“Pleasant One Night Stay”

Holiday Inn Chester South
Ranked #21 of 45 Hotels in Chester
Reviewed 11 May 2012

Stayed for one night in May 2012 with a group of friends. Hotel room perfectly adequate, clean and comfortable. Staff friendly.
Had lunch and breakfast both perfectly acceptable. One thing to note though. If you are on room only and wish to purchase a breakfast do so on check in as it is £3 cheaper(£10 as opposed to £13) (you will be issued with a voucher). Not sure why they have this system. Seems a little perculiar to me. Pool and spa area well maintained. Gym has machines for aerobic workout as well as freeweights. Slightly cramped though if too many people using the gym.

5 minute taxi ride to Chester at a cost of £5 ish

Overall a perfectly decent hotel as you would expect from Holiday Inn

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends

Reviewed 8 May 2012 via mobile

Nice Hotel not much near but the staff were really helpful sorting out meal vouchers and Chester zoo tickets for us. We were celebrating our anniversary and thought it was a lovely touch to have a bottle of wine waiting for us in our room and also a room upgrade, thankyou to all the staff at the Holiday Inn Chester South.

• Stayed: May 2012
Reviewed 7 May 2012

We stayed for a total of four nights recently and were very satisfied. The room had a normal size double and two little beds for the children. Linen was fine and bed was comfortable. We were a long way from reception but preferred this as very little corridor noise. The staff were professional and friendly. The only problems we encountered were lack of heating in the bathrooms. They told us that all their heated towel rails were too hot so had been switched off. The room safe didn't work and needed resetting - this was done quickly.

The breakfast was very good, great choice and an excellent juicer. The sauna and pool were good too. You do need a car to be here but it's location is great for Chester and North Wales. I would very happily stay here again.

Room Tip: At the end of a corridor for less noise.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Sebastabelle
Reviewed 7 May 2012

I stayed here for 18 days and was impressed with the patience of the staff (I was traveling with 28 teenagers), there level of service was impeccable, just one or two that were boardering on the rude and arrogant side. I wasn't going to let those two ladies get the better of me however and bring down my thoughts on the rest of the staff, who were wonderful on every level! Rooms were clean, food was pleasant and location was perfect for a large group of teenagers!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 May 2012

this hotel is only a few miles from chester but what an hotel it was great me my wife and the two kids really enjoyed it could not fault anything even down to all hotel staff

Room Tip: we stayed in a family room it was brill
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank john r
Reviewed 23 April 2012

We had the misfortune to be given double rooms, not twin, as booked. ( too cosy for 'friends', thank you)
Unable to swop rooms as hotel full.Not interested, basically, no refund, take it or leave it!!!
No sound proofing, so ghastly hen party, and sounds from room above, were an added irritation-- we asked specifically for QUIET rooms.
Privilidge member ( holiday inn loyalty club,) told of benefits, ie reducion in price, after paying for food and drink-- sorry too late! although they were fast enough to add on the 10 % service charge.
Pool full of teenagers ( well behaved but no room to swim0
Basically avoid this one---sure there are better to be had around Chester!

Room Tip: unable to advise-- suggest try somewhere else.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Chester South, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2012

Dear eleanor-mia,

Thank you for leaving a review. I am deeply sorry you received service that was less than satisfactory. This is not the type of service you should expect from our hotel. Your feedback is very important to us. We take all comments seriously and welcome any opportunity to improve.

We’d like to obtain some additional detail regarding your experience so we have sent you a private message. I look forward to hearing back from you soon.

Katie J
IHGCare

Reviewed 22 April 2012

This was a nicely run hotel close to the major roads in they area and a short drive form lovely Chester.

my wife and I enjoyed our two night stay. The staff were welcoming and helpful. Check in was smooth and speedy as was check out. The room was a goo size for a standard room with all the expected facilities. Although I would have liked a biscuit with my tea when I arrived. The bed was massive and comfy. the bathroom roomy with hot water in abundance thouth the shower controls were tricky if you have problems with hand strength or dexterity. We thought the wooden window sheeters weree a great idea blocking out the morning light and probably helping sound proofing. We slept well although the extraction in the bathroom did come on automatically and noisily around 6:30 in the morning.

I used the gym which was decently equiped and moderately used while I was there. The staff in the health club were helpful. There is a good sized pool which I didn't use. The changing rooms need a £1 for the locker ( Is uppose that is of but I would have obviously preferred a free locker - I wanted a swim after using the gym but would have had to have popped another £1 in to change into swim gear(). There were free towels, water and paper towels in the gym. The downside in the gym was I suppose not unusual smelly changing rooms.

We ate in the restaurant the first night and this was good in terms of food and service. My wife found the area a little cold (maybe the air con was too low). The breakfasts were very good.

Car parking was ample and the hotel was easy to find.

All in all a hotel I would visit again and recommend.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple