“Don't judge a book by its cover”

Holiday Inn Chester South
Ranked #19 of 44 Hotels in Chester
ashby
“Don't judge a book by its cover”
Reviewed 16 June 2012

Turned up late at this hotel after a long drive & my heart immediately sunk when I saw the drab 1970s building. "Not another dreary decaying hotel" I thought but I was wrong.
On entering I was met with a clean, modern and efficient reception which was backed up with a recently refurbished room.
Widescreen TV, power shower, mini bar, settee & desk - even a complementary Mars bar.
After a good (and quiet) nights sleep, I was again surprised by the first rate dining room & breakfast buffet. Even though the restaurant was busy with tourists (I saw 3 coaches parked outside), there were spare tables, a great choice of food (which was frequently topped up) and busy staff clearing away (one of my biggest annoyances).
Checking out was also quick & faultless.
All for £69 per night - this really puts the budget hotel chains to shame
It also shows what can be done when you have good, motivated and well trained staff
So in summary despite the looks from the outside, this is a good place to stay

Room Tip: The rooms in the low 400 range (eg 401) seem to be the ones recently refurbished
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (216)
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 June 2012

I stayed here on a weekend away with my partner and it was very nice indeed. I will try to make my assessment fair:

Stuff That Needs Improvement:
- Extractor Fan in bathrooms; the fan in the bathroom was on all the time. I can obviously understand why (you need to keep it well ventilated) but there was no facility to switch it off. When I went to bed, I phoned Reception who explained that it is the case in all of the rooms - you can't turn it off. So, throughout our stay, there was a constant background humming from the bathroom. It wasn't too intrusive, but was at times a little distracting.

- Spa access: It closes at 8pm (which I don't understand: they don't have life guards - not a criticism; most places don't - so why can't they just allow later access?) and in the day time it sometimes wasn't available to guests (e.g. on Sundays, or during fitness classes, etc.). Not a huge problem, but worth noting. Also, "spa" isn't really as I would describe it: a good sized pool, a small but pleasant bubble pool, and then a seperate sauna located in the respective changing rooms.

However, these are minor quibbles really didn’t matter. The essentials were covered perfectly:

Stuff That Was Really Quite Good:
- Good sized rooms
- Quite - no disturbances from other guests
- Clean environment
- A great breakfast buffet!
- Fantastic staff

These are the things that, for me, really make a break good – and on this occasion, they did.

I would like to make mention of the latter: the staff. We were only there for two nights, but the staff were all wonderful – helpful, informed, attentive, polite; a real pleasure.

I would recommend this place.

Room Tip: Ask for a quite room - we got one on the very end of the corridor just by asking!
Vale of Glamorgan
Reviewed 10 June 2012

Just returned from spending 5 happy days here. We have stayed in many Holiday Inns and we know we can always expect the bedroom and bathroom to be spotlessly clean and the food well cooked and more than satisfying for any traveller. Always a good choice so would highly recommend.
Surprisingly the basin in room 128 was badly cracked, so we informed the receptionist who asked us if we would like to be moved, but as we had already unpacked we decided to stay put, after all we were only going to use the basin to wash our hands and clean our teeth! Apparently they weren't aware of the problem with the sink so it was just as well we reported it.
On the negative side:
1. There are no instructions for the t.v. as to how many channels we could use and lying on the bed to view is uncomfortable (namely an aching neck) as the tv is on a low chest of drawers, and you can't really view it from the pillow without raising one's head - take note Holiday Inn it really does need to be higher.
2. Despite the hotel having a super pool and gym facilities we found the latter for ourselves, no mention made of it on our arrival.
Overall we had a good stay and felt it was excellent value for money so I would award this hotel 4 stars.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Glamorgangal
Rotherham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 June 2012

I stayed at the holiday Inn for 2 nights with my husband on a short break.
I had emailed the hotel previously and asked if we could have a room on the ground floor as I am 30 weeks pregnant and I got an email back within a couple of hours advising that it had been sorted.
We arrived at the hotel at around 1.30pm (despite check in being at 2.30pm) and even though we were early our room was ready for us which was a pleasant surprise!
The room was clean and spacious, but a little dated. The bathroom could had done with sprucing up but again was clean and spacious.
We had dinner in the hotel on the first night in the restaurant, and the food was lovely. We had a 3 course as booked as part of a package and the choices we could have had were plentiful. Portions were good without being too much, and could upgrade to anything off this 'set' menu for £2.50 which was reasonable.
Breakfasts were buffet style and there was plenty on there to choose from. The only complaint I had with this was one morning there was no croissants, and coffee was not served in pots on your table, you had to wait for a server to bring you more if you wanted it.
Drinks in the bar were more expensive (a pint, small wine and lemonade about £9) but then it is a hotel so you expect this. The one thing we did notice is that there was a lot of complaints about the food in the bar, either being cold or not right or slow service, so this did put us off eating there on the second night.
We also used the pool in the hotel, and had no complaints. It was clean and spacious, the jacuzzi was lovely.
All in all for what we paid we had no complaints. The staff are lovely and welcoming and will help out with anything you need to ask.

Room Tip: We asked for a room on the ground floor which was good for us.
Wakefield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 June 2012

we got a deal with co op travel. Tickets for Chester zoo and an overnight stay, seven of us, three adults and four kids. two age seven, an eleven year old and a thirteen year old. Good ay at the zoo except for the rain. The hotel was good. Very friendly staff. The pool and gym were very good. The grounds look beautiful, it was a shame the weather wasn't at it's best for sitting out.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
Stafford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 June 2012

We stayed here with friends last weekend and have to say that the experience was poor. We have stayed on other Holiday Inn hotels and found them to be friendly, reasonably priced and in fairly good condition. This one is shabby and in desperate need of some tlc. The drinks prices were hugely inflated at £20 for 4 drinks and the heat of the water when having a shower was best described as tepid. All in all very disappointing. Wouldnt recommend.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Chester South, responded to this review, 21 July 2012
Dear Clare M,

Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to post your review of our hotel. It is disappointing to hear that our hotel fell below your expectations. We are hospitality professionals who work diligently to ensure our facilities are well maintained and strive to provide rates that are competitive in the area. Let me take this opportunity to apologize for the inconvenience the unusual condition of the shower caused you. Though I would prefer you had a better experience at our hotel, we thank you for your feedback and I assure you that the valuable comments you've shared will be used to monitor and improve the quality and services we offer.

I appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts and I hope you will give us the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Joel B
Case Manager
IHGCare

Travellers are raving about these Chester hotels

Macclesfield, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 June 2012

The hotel itself is cheap and cheerful but sadly let down by extortionate bar prices. In addition a 10% service charge is added to the bar bill, we were told on challenge that this was discretionary but most people will not notice. This is not a consistent Holiday Inn policy as we have stayed at others recently but maybe the Holiday Inn chain think tourists will pay a premium in Chester. Sadly we wont be returning. Four small glasses of wine was over twenty pounds this is very poor value for money. If you do stay here use it as a base and eat and drink in town.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Darren C, General Manager at Holiday Inn Chester South, responded to this review, 18 July 2012
Dear Karen R

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent visit to at Holiday Inn Chester South. I’m delighted that you enjoyed your stay and we have noted your comments regarding bar prices. Our pricing is comparable to other hotels in the area, and in most cases cheaper than many of our competitors. Whilst there are some wines that come at a premium, a glass of our most expensive wine by the glass is £7.80 for 250ml, we also offer bottles of wine at under £17.

Regards