“Reasonable enough but tired”

Holiday Inn Chester South
Ranked #20 of 45 Hotels in Chester
Reviewed 15 July 2012

We stayed here with friends while enjoying a weekend in Chester. We didn't really spend any time in the hotel but the rooms that we had (Executive) were comfortable enough but a little tired and need updating. Compared to other hotels in the area the HI is an ugly building on a dual carriageway so don't book this if your looking for a cosy, romantic getaway. Perfectly acceptable though for visiting the city if you want somewhere to keep your head down while being n the city centre all day.

Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank robatshelley

Reviewed 12 July 2012

I have stayed here a couple of times on business and find it just a bit hit & miss.

The staff are all very friendly and I have to say the cleanliness of the room (although dated) really was excellent.

My gripes would be:

1- Shower gel/Shampoo not replenished on second day of stay.
2- My shower head was too low so had to duck to wash my hair. (I am not that tall either!).
3- The horrendous cost of the WIFI. £16 for 24 hours is not acceptable nowadays (or £5 for one hour & £10 for 4 hours). The hotel is also in a 3G desert so I was unable to use my phone for the internet so was forced to pay for WIFI.

Despite the above I did have a good nights sleep on both days (which I guess is an important factor) but I am unsure if I would stay again.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 July 2012

We stayed at the hotel in a family room and having stayed at numerous Holiday Inn's previously I had a reasonable expectation of what to expect. The rooms were of a decent size and the public areas, including the bar, swimming pool and restaurant were clean and modern. What makes this particular holiday inn stand out above other similar hotels were the staff. From arrival at reception, to the bar staff and the staff at breakfast, we were made to feel very welcome. Special mention should go to the head barman, who made our children feel at home during our stay and was extremely pleasant.

The hotel is a short distance outside Chester but is perfect for accessing the town and the major road networks nearby.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 July 2012

We booked a room here via expedia for one night. Upon arrival late Saturday evening we were given a twin room, and were told that there was not a double room available in the whole hotel.
I had checked just the night before and there was, yet nothing of any nature was offered, and even though this was our wedding anniversary weekend single beds it was to be.
Disappointed at response, but pay cheap get cheap I guess.
Location is not too pleasant out of town on edge of bypass, and the restaurant was expensive so travel would be required if wishing to eat out. Better inside than out is all than can be said positively.

Room Tip: Make sure you put in request for specific room in advance!
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
IHGCare, IHGCare at Holiday Inn Chester South, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2012

Dear MrsACM,

Thank you for writing a review about our property. I am pleased you found the location of our hotel satisfactory. Please accept my sincerest apology for the room issues you experienced. I appreciate you bringing this into our attention as this is our best resource for improving guest services.

Again, thank you for staying with us and taking the time to give feedback.

Pam G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 22 June 2012

I booked a twin room for myself and a colleague for one night and paid £74 for the room, unlimited Wi-Fi and breakfast - a bargain, I thought! Imagine my surprise when I also discovered that the rate includes use of a lovely little health club, with gym, sauna, spa pool and a swimming pool too - absolutely superb.
The hotel itself is situated on a main arterial road which feeds straight into the heart of Chester, but also has excellent links to North Wales, Liverpool (via the Mersey Tunnel) or Manchester on the M56. The exterior is a little dated, but inside (as with all Holiday Inn hotels) the building is fresh and modern; immaculately presented and very clean. The room was spacious and included a 32" LG Full HD television with Freeview - a very welcome surprise! The bathroom was equipped as per normal (shower over bath, loo, sink with enormous mirror etc) and the beds were beautifully comfortable (with a choice of pillows from the 'menu', firm, soft, down or memory foam etc).
Both my colleague and I had a great night's sleep and then enjoyed a superb buffet breakfast in the 1st floor restaurant (this costs about £12 per person normally, so is a bargain if you book it as part of your room rate). It's all you can eat, so after a plate of Full English, some croissants/pain au chocolat, some fruit and a yogurt, I was set up for the day (until 4pm, it turned out)!
All in all, a superb little hotel in a convenient location, very clean, friendly staff and extremely good value!

2  Thank Matt R
Reviewed 18 June 2012

My wife had an important meeting to attend in Chester on Saturday morning. Needed to drop her in the city early, then return to the digs until lunch.
The hotel was alive and very vibrant as the England soccer match was on tv in the bar area!! a noisy but very friendly bunch could be heard cheering our national team on!! Our room was spacious, clean, bright and well equipped. The bed was huge, and with loads of pillows looked extreemly inviting!! Wtil dumped our cases, and returned to the bar area to forridge for food which we were told could be bought there or in the 1st floor restaurant until late late. They didn't disappoint! Gourmay fish, at ten o'clock - 5 stars sir!!. My wife needed to dine early on Saturday am.. A continental mini-brekki was prepared by the night staff, to be ready at 07:00. She was very impressed not only with the timing, but the food itself was exactly what she would have chosen too. Thankyou so much.
Definately use this place again. No problems whatsoever.

1  Thank RickyLeeds
Reviewed 16 June 2012

Turned up late at this hotel after a long drive & my heart immediately sunk when I saw the drab 1970s building. "Not another dreary decaying hotel" I thought but I was wrong.
On entering I was met with a clean, modern and efficient reception which was backed up with a recently refurbished room.
Widescreen TV, power shower, mini bar, settee & desk - even a complementary Mars bar.
After a good (and quiet) nights sleep, I was again surprised by the first rate dining room & breakfast buffet. Even though the restaurant was busy with tourists (I saw 3 coaches parked outside), there were spare tables, a great choice of food (which was frequently topped up) and busy staff clearing away (one of my biggest annoyances).
Checking out was also quick & faultless.
All for £69 per night - this really puts the budget hotel chains to shame
It also shows what can be done when you have good, motivated and well trained staff
So in summary despite the looks from the outside, this is a good place to stay

Room Tip: The rooms in the low 400 range (eg 401) seem to be the ones recently refurbished