“Taylor`s New Year Away”

Ranked #19 of 44 Hotels in Chester
Preston, United Kingdom
“Taylor`s New Year Away”
Reviewed 3 January 2013

Had a two night New Year package at this Hotel and I must say got a very pleasant suprise.
Great place to stay rooms very clean with gym swimming pool to hand the food was excellent staff very pleasant and could not do enough for us. Will definetly return again.

Room Tip: We had a room over looking the garden
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (222)
Carmarthenshire Wales
Reviewed 2 January 2013

stayed here for 1 night en route to our new years stay in Manchester.

the hotel is very conveniently located for visiting Chester only a £5 taxi ride away or you could catch a bus from right outside the Hotel.

Got a room up grade upon check in courtesy of our H.I. loyalty card and the executive room was excellent couple this to the fact that we had only paid £39 for the room it was excellent v.f.m.

we had supper in the restaurant and this was delicious also, as was the buffet breakfast the next morning.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 December 2012 via mobile

We stayed I this hotel for one night whilst visiting the Cheshire Oaks shopping outlet and it is the perfect location for this as it is a short drive. The rooms are clean and comfortable and the hotel has a good sized pool and a well equipped gym. In the room, it is the bathroom that lets it down as it is not very well finished and has a travelodge feel to it. We booked last minute so paid £50 for one night. From what I saw of the normal weekend hotel rate it is normally over £120 and I don't feel it is worth that much when I compare it to other hotels around the price point, but it is in a very convenient location (if driving) so that may be a factor in price setting. We didn't have breakfast or dinner in the hotel so I can't comment on the food. It has a nice bar area and the staff are very friendly. Overall my experience was very good but whether I stay again would be dependant on the price.

• Stayed December 2012
wroclaw
Reviewed 27 December 2012

Good hotel for business and private trip. Standing near to highway, park & ride area and bus station. It's possible - which I did by myself to go on foot (around 4 km) to Chester city centre.
During way you can see old cementery, nice bridge, river and beautiful city panorama.
Hotel is standard one, restaurant with lazy waiters waiting only for tip.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 December 2012

It was an unusual hotel to be blunt. From the outside it looks like nothing. Walking through the doors, I was welcomed and the services for a Holiday Inn were fantastic! I had full access to a reasonable gym and swimming pool included in my rate. I chose to eat in the bar rather than the restaurant as they had Sky Sports. I asked the bar manager, William, if he could show the match I wanted (Newcastle) and he put it on instantly for me and served me with a great meal in next to no time. I had a sirloin steak sandwich that was absolutely perfect and would have been very happy with it if i'd been served it in a restaurant in the town. The menu wasn't exactly cheap but considering the fast service and amount of meat, I felt I got good value for money. I recommend joining the priority club (for free!) to instantly get money off your drinks. I spent my evening in the bar and had a good friendly chat with the manager who recommended visiting the 'Outlet Village' where I did some Christmas shopping. I cant fault the hotel. I arrived to be greeted by a smile from a very attractive red-haired receptionist from somewhere in eastern europe (not very good on accents!) who explained everything about my stay to me in detail and seemed really happy to do so. I've stayed in many Chester hotels and the receptionist really came across as enjoying her job which I would say is unusual. The room was as expected, nothing too fancy, very clean, but the staff, especially those in the bar, were brilliant. I would certainly stay again and recommend it to others!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank benjamin h
North of England
Reviewed 16 December 2012

Stayed here 1 nt 21st Nov -22nd Nov on a visit to Chester, welcome was warm & friendly even though we were there at 2pm, reception Staff were really good and as we are Priority Club Mbrs were given an upgrade to an Executive Room.
Room was quite large with a 42" flat screen TV, nice bathroom and comfortable bed with choice of pillows, also tea & coffe facilities.
Breakfast was really good with a great choice and really good service from the friendly staff, a Cappuchino to finish breakfast would have been nice though.
Nice Spa & pool area.
Overall a great stay and highly recommended hope to return sometime.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are quiet but are quite a walk.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
Borehamwood uk
Reviewed 15 December 2012

I booked a' standard room', I didn't book a twin room, I assumed a standard room for 2 people would be a double, also there was an option to book a twin, and I didn't use that.
On arrival we found we had been given a twin room, so I explained that I assumed I booked a double. The receptionist was helpful, but stated that iy was given on allocation and there were no doubles available.
Afer one attempt to put the beds together - We were re allocated a room with a double, and given a 'free drinks' voucher for the inconvienience.

The room we had been relocated to was nice, it was executive - trouser press, and a pretty standard room - chairs were a little tatty, but the bed was comfy and the shutters made the room competely dark which aided sleep. sadly the room was either above or next to a staff room or cleaners cupboard as from 06.00 we were woken on both days to the chatter of very awake people. once the chatter subsided the cleaners carts started outside the room, creaking floor boards and banging. It ppeared that the room was in a place where the room maids cart sat nicely whilst she atteneded the room - nightmare for us.

the hotel is situated near the A55, it appears to serve conferences and business people best - so most people would be getting up at the time we were disturbed - we weren't as we were visiting family - so didn't need the early morning start.

We didn't use the retaurant or the gym/ pool so can't comment on this. I didn't bother complaining as I wasn't looking for a luxurious stay - there are alot of hotels in the area to choose from. I would stay here if I was on a business trip and only needed a single bed but I doubt I would return.

Room Tip: room 205 is only good if you need to be woken up at 06.00, otherwise refuse to stay in it - you may...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank chadster7
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Chester South, responded to this review, 8 January 2013
Dear chadster7,

Thank you very much for sharing your feedback regarding your stay with us. We are hospitality professionals who strive every day to create special experiences one guest at a time and I am truly sorry we did not manage this for your stay. Please accept our sincere apology for the shortcomings you experienced during your stay and we regret the room you received did not live up to your expectations. Your feedback is of great importance to us and allows us to monitor and improve our services continually.

Again, thank you for staying with us and providing us a candid feedback.

Joel B
Case Manager
IHGCare

Travellers are raving about these Chester hotels