We managed to secure a two-night, room-only stay here for circa £80 which is good value & I guess for the price our stay was just about adequate but I've got a similar deal in many Holiday Inn's across the UK & some even cheaper & ended up with a far nicer experience.
The location is good - an easy 5 minute drive to the centre of Chester although there's nothing within walking distance - the closest place to eat or drink outside hotel was the Satlney Tandoori which was about two miles away - it was also shockingingly poor so unless eating in the hotel I'd recommend getting into Chester where's there plenty of great places to eat. We did eat in the hotel bar one night & the food was really good, a nice atmosphere & well-serviced bar. After our Indian we wished we'd stayed in again !
The external appearance of the hotel is horrible but I've never been too bothered about this, the lobby, bar area's etc are all ok - certainly nothing special but fine. We used the pool facilities & I hate to sound negative but compared to similar hotels the experience was poor. A dated pool with pretty run-down changing areas. That said for £40 per night at least there's a pool available I guess.
The room was easily the worst part - we were allocated a twin room which we could only think was almost a last resort as the hotel was fully booked. There's promotional material all over the hotel stating how Holiday Inn's have all been refreshed, etc but this room was straight out of the early 80's (at best) with dusty shelves & whilst not exactly dirty, just didn't feel clean. I truly think however that there's far nicer rooms on property & perhaps we were just unlucky. The bedding didn't overhang so unless you lied perfectly still would find yourself uncovered, they did actually put the beds together for us to effectively creat a double bed but the headboards stayed where they were as did the single sheets ! Again it should be said however we did have two decent night's sleep in fairness, no problems with the mattresses & pillows although in the morning's you could hear everything going on in hallways.
Overall I hate to be negative & it's very rare we are dissapointed with a hotel as we try to be balanced & don't expect luxury when paying less than £50 but compared to other Holiday Inn's we've staye on over the last few years this was by far the worst & subsequently won't be returning.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Holiday Inn Chester South has 145 newly refurbished bedrooms, decorated to a high standard with new bathrooms. Standard twin and double rooms have walk in showers provided and family rooms and executive rooms have bathrooms with a bath and shower over. The modern Open Lobby Concept is a bright and vibrant place to catch with with colleagues, friends and families. Serving Starbucks Coffee with a grab and go sandwich selection, serving food all day. The hotel is all non smoking and is ideally situated on the edge of the Roman City of Chester, located just off the A55 adjacent to Chester Business Park. All public areas and bedrooms have full air-conditioning and Wi-Fi access has been installed. In an excellent location for both business and leisure visitors alike. Benefiting from immediate proximity to Chester and its attractions including Chester Races, Grosvenor Museum, Cathedral, Chester Zoo and Islands, Cheshire Oaks Outlet Village and Blue Planet Aquarium. The Holiday Inn Chester South provides an ideal visitor base, with a choice of accommodation including standard, executive and accessible bedrooms. We have excellent range of facilities for both business and leisure travellers including kids stay & eat free*. The hotel has a fully air conditioned gym, 15m heated swimming pool, sauna and jacuzzi, with trained staff to assist in your visit. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with IHG, Superbreak UK, Booking.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Evoline ltd, Ebookers, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Holiday Inn Chester South reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Chester South Hotel Chester
- Chester Holiday Inn
- Holiday Inn Chester South Cheshire