I booked this hotel through another company and not direct with the hotel. I did it on a secret hotel basis so didnt find out where i was staying until the booking was confirmed. It was on a non refundable basis. All very well to save you money but i dont think the service should be any different.
After a day at Chester Zoo, we arrived at the Hotel. From passing you can tell it's an old hotel but it has undergone a recent refurbishment which makes it very modern.
We checked in with no problems, the girl behind the desk even offered us membership to the priority club which saves 10% at the hotel bar wihout a joining fee. We took up this option and went to our room.
As we entered the room we discovered our first problem. When booking in July, i requested a double room (it was after all for my partners birthday), however the room we had been given was a twin room. I know double rooms arent always guaranteed bu i do think we should have been made aware of this at an earlier stage. It's not as if we booked last minute. The lighting in the room was very poor and the main light did not really light the whole of th room. We contacted reception to enquire about a room change and we were told there were no doubles available and they would send houskeeping up to pu the beds together. That would be ok...if the lights switches wernt in the middle of the room. Putting the beds together would cut off the switches and leave us in further darkness.
We went to reception to explain the problem putting the beds together. The girl (not the same as who checked us in) didnt believe us and took it on herself to walk to the room (at the other side of the hotel) only to come back and agree with us. She then checked the computer and if by magic found us a double room.
This made us a little happier. We got to the new room and put the lights on, only the main light didnt come on! Once again we had to contact reception. They promptly sent up the maintenance guy to replcae the bulb. I didnt mention the knob on the drawer that was being held in by tissue. It had obviously been pulled off before and that was the easy fix.
At this point i was too annoyed to want to stay and conacted a local hotel to make a booking for the 2nd night. A little bit presumptious but i couldnt see myself wanting to be there 2 nights.
I was looking at the many brochures in the room and they all mentioned the new look hotel. The pictures looked great. The hotel was made to look very modern. Reminded me of the Holiday inn i stayed at in Malaysia. Only our room was very different to the pictures. I think it had been forgotton about in the refurb. The side tables, wardrobes and bed were all old.
We decided to have a drink in the new look bar. The service there was excellent. The man behind the bard was brilliant, highlight of the hotel. He also works in the breakfast restaurant. Only complaint about the bar is obviously the prices but thats always to be expected in a hotel bar.
The reception arranged us a taxi into Chester and at £5 was pretty good value.
When we got our heads down for the night i could hve no problems. The bed was comfy and there was hardly any noise.
Breakfast in the morning was really good. It was all self service and the choice was great. We had a short wait to be seated but the man did apologise and get us as soon as he could. I did maybe overeat a little but it was good value for money.
We left the hotel before our 2nd night to move to a hotel in the center of Chester.
I did feel we could maybe have stayed the 2nd night but i ad already paid for another hotel in my annoyance from the first half an hour in the hotel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Holiday Inn Chester South has 145 newly refurbished bedrooms, decorated to a high standard with new bathrooms. Standard twin and double rooms have walk in showers provided and family rooms and executive rooms have bathrooms with a bath and shower over. The modern Open Lobby Concept is a bright and vibrant place to catch with with colleagues, friends and families. Serving Starbucks Coffee with a grab and go sandwich selection, serving food all day. The hotel is all non smoking and is ideally situated on the edge of the Roman City of Chester, located just off the A55 adjacent to Chester Business Park. All public areas and bedrooms have full air-conditioning and Wi-Fi access has been installed. In an excellent location for both business and leisure visitors alike. Benefiting from immediate proximity to Chester and its attractions including Chester Races, Grosvenor Museum, Cathedral, Chester Zoo and Islands, Cheshire Oaks Outlet Village and Blue Planet Aquarium. The Holiday Inn Chester South provides an ideal visitor base, with a choice of accommodation including standard, executive and accessible bedrooms. We have excellent range of facilities for both business and leisure travellers including kids stay & eat free*. The hotel has a fully air conditioned gym, 15m heated swimming pool, sauna and jacuzzi, with trained staff to assist in your visit. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Superbreak UK, Booking.com, IHG, TripOnline SA, Expedia, Hotels.com, HotelsClick, Cancelon, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, 5viajes2012 S.L. and HotelQuickly so you can book your Holiday Inn Chester South reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Chester South Hotel Chester
- Chester Holiday Inn
- Holiday Inn Chester South Cheshire