“Excellent food. Hotel hotter than the sun!!!!”

Mercure Chester Abbots Well Hotel
Ranked #26 of 44 Hotels in Chester
“Excellent food. Hotel hotter than the sun!!!!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2011

We stayed for one night on the all inclusive option. Our first room was ok but the window wouldn't close and the low roof outside meant anyone could have gained access to the room and it was incredibly HOT! Due to the window we asked to be moved. The next room was much smaller but it was clean. This was also ridiculously HOT. The food was lovely in the restaurant. Neither of us could sleep as it was so HOT and couldnt wait to leave the next morning! I would say this is more a 3 star hotel and in much need of updating and a lick of paint!

• Stayed October 2011
GMRamadaChester, General Manager at Mercure Chester Abbots Well Hotel, responded to this review, 22 October 2011
Dear stace1983

Thank you for your recent review of the Mercure Chester East Hotel on Tripadvisor.

I was delighted to read of your praise for our food and the high scores you gave us for value, location and service. Please accept my apologies about the heat and the window issues, I do understand your concerns.

I am speaking with our new owners about the high temperature situation and I hope to resolve this shortly by lagging the pipes throughout the hotel. We have recently had a complete window survey undertaken and all faults have been detailed. I’m pleased to say that work starts next week to resolve these problems.

I would hope that this would not deter you from a return visit to the Mercure Chester East Hotel and that we could have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

James Lake

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (285)
Ulverston, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2011

I booked this Hotel for my wife’s birthday for a one night stay on the 2nd October , as we usually do I read some of the reviews and was slightly apprehensive about our stay. Id read about the limited storage space but as we were only staying one night it was adequate for our needs. The room was modern and clean with a nice flat screen TV and internet access tea coffee facilities, hair drier, ironing board and the bed was comfortable. The leisure facilities were first class and on par with some 5 star establishments we have stayed in, the sauna was actually hot and the hot tub was one of the best I have used. After a lovely day in Chester which we used the Park & ride next door to the hotel we went back to the hotel for our evening mail. This would have been the acid test as we both like our food and are used to a high standard. Happy to say yet another tick in the box as we both thoroughly enjoyed our meal and the service was excellent. The staff in the restaurant that evening went the extra mile when my wife asked if she could have her desert and coffee outside on the patio. At first they wanted us to go to the front of the hotel, but we didn’t want to eat out front, so they allowed us to go outside of the restaurant at the rear. They put the outside light on for us and we were amazed at the lovely surrounding and the gardens, as we were experiencing a particularly hot October is was lovely and warm, they even brought us a candle and it was very romantic and made our stay at this hotel. If I was going back to the Chester area I would not hesitate to use this hotel again. Whilst we were there my wife phoned her Brother and told him about the hotel and he booked himself. I hope the new owners realise what a lovely hotel they have now and strive to make it even better.

Dear mack619

I was delighted to read your very positive comments about your recent stay and in particular the high level of customer care you received and the quality of your food. I would hope that we would have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Mercure Chester East Hotel in the very near future.

Stockport, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2011

recently went to this hotel only to find it had been taken over by a new hotel company id booked it though ramada jarvis mercury taken over it .Anyway rooms were ok just dated abit clean though. location was good right next to a park and drive. Restaurant again ok decor was dated the food was over priced little quality abit poor i can see there trying but if theres no reinvestment thats what happens.staff were nice enough people.The pool was ok again needs doing up. What i would say is use this hotel if your staying for couple of nights on a deal otherwise book yourself into a travelodge and go out for dinner chez jules is good.

Room Tip: go for a top floor
1 Thank g00dm0rningvietnam
Dear g00dm0rningvietnam,

I was pleased to read that you found my team to be pleasant and your bedroom was clean. I was disappointed to read of your concern with the condition of your bedroom and the restaurant, however I am in the process of speaking to the new owners about investment in the hotel.

We recently rebranded to a Mercure Hotel following the purchase of the owning company. Due to the brand change over we were unable to display any signs with our former name for legal reasons. I hope that this did not cause you too much difficulty finding the hotel and that we could have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Mercure Chester East Hotel in the future.

Blackpool
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2011

Hotel was very handy for the park and ride into Chester you could walk to it from the hotel..The room was very nice comfortable and great pillows (I am fussy about pillows). Like a previous review it was very hot even with the radiator off.The breakfast was fab and the meal at night also good. We got a very good deal from Travel zoo that made it a very reasonable stay. The only down side was the hotel had been taken overby Mercure and renamed outside 2 days before we went, so we were looking for the Ramada for some time before we went in to ask where it was!!

Room Tip: rooms in the 300's are probably quieter
Dear Holidaysrus_11

I was thrilled to read your very positive comments about your recent stay and I would hope that we would have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Mercure Chester East Hotel in the near future.

London
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2011

The hotel was convenient enough, and the staff were friendly. The room looked ok, but was terribly hot - much hotter than the outside temperature. There were no heating/cooling controls - the only option was a fan which had been shoved in the room. We couldn't leave the windows open, as there was no way of securing them to prevent intruders. Neither of us slept under the covers while we were there - just lay on top of the beds and still sweated all night. And this was supposed to be a 4-star hotel - it was one of the most uncomfortable hotels I have ever tried to sleep in, and one of the most expensive! The restaurant menus also had high prices, but there is a much cheaper alternative in the Harvester 5 minutes walk away, which serves excellent food. Next time it will be the Premier Inn - a third of the price and much more comfortable.

Room Tip: Don't bother
Dear Londonhr-g

Firstly please let me thank you for your kind reviews about the high levels of customer service you received and the top marks you gave us for cleanliness and location.

I was of course disappointed to read your concerns about the level of heat in the hotel. I am in the process of speaking to the new owners of the hotel about a programme of pipe lagging that will resolve this issue and if I may I will use your review to help me press my case for investment.

I would hope that this would not deter you from a return visit and that we could have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the future

James Lake

Travellers are raving about these Chester hotels