“Good value for the room...”

Mercure Chester Abbots Well Hotel
Ranked #30 of 45 Hotels in Chester
Reviewed 5 February 2012

I stayed here for two nights on 3/4 Feb 2012. I found the rooms to be of a good standard and the staff more than helpful with regards anything we asked for. We had a problem with the iron in our room and a replacement was sent within 5 minutes of us phoning down. The hotel was under going some decoration, as there was a continued smell of fresh paint in the air whilst we were there, but after reading some reviews previous it would appear that the decoration was needed.I did find the hotel more than acceptable both for its appearance and the facilities provided.
Negative for the hotel was the thinness of the walls, you could hear most of what was said in the corridors or doors slamming. The prices of the bar I found to be on the high side also.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
GMMercureChesterEast, General Manager at Mercure Chester Abbots Well Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 February 2012

Dear johmmc14

Thank you for your review on Tripadvisor.ie following your recent stay at the Mercure Chester East Hotel. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay so much and that you found the staff to be very helpful. We have recently recruited an additional maintenance attendant and are now able to concentrate more on decorations than ever before, so I hope when you return you will notice more and more improvements.

I have taken on board you comments about the sound proofing of the bedrooms and I will discuss this with our designer when we next refurbish our bedrooms. We look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Mercure Chester East Hotel in the near future.

James Lake

Write a ReviewReviews (1,576)

Reviewed 5 February 2012

I wasn't sure what to expect when I drove up to the mercure hotel as from the outside it didn't give anything away but once I entered into the lobby of the hotel I was pleasantly suprised. The lobby was warm and the staff was very welcoming. Booking in was a nice experience because we were offered the use of the leisure facilities and asked if we would like to book a time that we would like our evening tea so we wodnt have to wait. The bedroom and bathroom was 5 star as it was very comfortable warm and relaxing to be in, the bedroom had everything we needed from kettle, cups, coffee, tv with radio and choice of films. The food at evening tea and breakfast was top quality and there was a great range of different food to choose from. The thing that made this stay worth while was the staff at the hotel. They made every effort in making our stay a comfortable stay, I was treated as if I was one of there family members with total respect but at the same time made me feel right at home. I take my hat off to the hotel and it's staff and want to say a big thank you for making my stay and my wifes stay a real enjoyable experience and will definitely return again and tell my family and friends of this most enjoyable experience

• Stayed: February 2012

Dear Mikeyboy 562535

Thank you for your review on Tripadvisor.ie following your recent stay at the Mercure Chester East Hotel. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay so much and that you found the staff really made your stay so special. I do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you and your wife back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 1 February 2012

Decided to go somewere on a weekend with my partner as we had no work for 3 days,

Arrived in Chester with no hotel, just went to the library and booked this hotel due to the low cost and it having a pool and gym.

Overall an excellent weekend, the staff were very helpful, the rooms were comfortable.

We did not eat here as we like to eat out. so can not comment on that.

I would definatly recommend, and will probably be back in the future!

Cheers.

Dear Aarongee

Thank you for your review on Tripadvisor.ie following your recent stay at the Mercure Chester East Hotel. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay so much and that you found the staff so helpful in particular. I do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future and that we can tempt you to dine with us.

Reviewed 31 January 2012

We stayed at the Mercure Chester for one night. We found the hotel staff to be very helpfull and polite. The hotel itself is very clean and tidy with modern interior throughout. This is the second time we have stayed and we would not hesitate to stay again. The only thing i would mention is that although the stay itself is cheap enough and the spa facilities are included in your price, i would avoid the high priced meals and drinks there.

2  Thank BenandLeighann

Dear BenandLeighann

Thank you for your review on Tripadvisor.ie following your recent stay at the Mercure Chester East Hotel. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay so much and we hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you both back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 29 January 2012

Although this hotel has had a recent refurbishment, it still shows signs of wear and tear. The corridor floorboards seem to run widthways, meaning that as someone walks down the corridor, the room shakes. If you're a light sleeper this makes for a restless nights sleep!

The "Seb Coe" sports centre was fine, but the pool is quite a bit smaller than it appears on the hotel's photos.

On arrival we were asked to pay for the room again (even when we reiterated that we had pre-paid), this was however noted as a possible error when the charge came up as one night (we had booked for two).

The hotel is a 5 min drive from Chester and a taxi cost a very reasonable £5.

Room Tip: Room 101 is next to the Spa, but far from reception.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
GMMercureChesterEast, General Manager at Mercure Chester Abbots Well Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 January 2012

Dear Becky_and_Darryl

Thank you for your recent review on Tripadvisor.com following your stay at the Mercure Chester East Hotel.

I was disappointed to read that your sleep was disturbed by and noise from the corridor during the night. I’m sure that you are aware that we have recently been taken over and are in the process of rebranding and as part of this process we have put together an investment plan. In this plan we will be replacing corridor carpets and at this time we will look to strengthen the floor to reduce noise and any shakes.

Apologies for the mix up with your billing, but pleased that we were able to sort this quickly for you. I would hope that this would not deter you from a return visit and that we could have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 29 January 2012

We were on ground floor, and the people above woke us up at 6.45am Sunday morning because the floorboards were so squeaky, and ii could hear someone snoring all night.... The springs in the bed have gone so that every you move on it the springs pop! We stopped in a studio room.

• Stayed: January 2012

Dear Collette37

I was disappointed to read that your sleep was disturbed by your bed and noise from the corridor during the night. We have now completed a full audit of all our beds and are in the process of replacing them as required. When we come to replace the carpets, we will also be looking at how we can reduce any squeaks before we replace the flooring and I hope that this will reduce the problem for future guests.

Reviewed 28 January 2012

Hotel booked last minute as I'd managed to get a couple of days off work.
Good deal on the room for 2 nights, although in future i think I'd book the inclusive of dinner package. The reception and bar staff were excellent - very friendly, professional & welcoming. The room was well equipped, although a fridge & air con would've been great.
My room was right over the main entrance and apart from a very noisy group checking out at 5am, was relatively quiet.
Bar prices were expensive and the bedroom and some corridors would benefit from a bit of updating, but am sure this will be addressed eventually.
Great location for the park and ride into Chester and 10mins from Cheshire Oaks.
Would definitely consider booking again if visiting Chester in the future.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo

Dear spannermagnet

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and that you would definitely consider returning to the hotel in the future. As you will be aware we have only recently been taken over by our new owning company and I hope that on your next visit you will see the improvements as we start to make them.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.