“Travellers Wedding!”

Mercure Chester Abbots Well Hotel
Ranked #28 of 45 Hotels in Chester
Reviewed 16 July 2012

We recently stayed at this hotel for two nights. On our first night we were quite surprised when we saw lots of travellers arriving for a wedding!! Both my partner and I would like to say that it didn't spoil our stay at all! The staff handled the situation very well. We found it quite fascinating sitting at the bar in the foyer watching all the magnificent and crazy dresses. As we'd decided to stay in on the Friday we can definitely say it made our night!!
I would like to add that we booked our stay through KGB for £99 (two night stay, bed and breakfast and a bottle of wine with your evening meal). The hotel was clean, the staff very help full and the breakfast was outstanding but I would not say the rooms were of a 5* standard. I would not have paid the full £340 that it was apparently equivalent to.
Kindly the hotel rang on the Monday to apologise for the travellers and offered us a free bottle of wine in our room if we were to book again.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
GMMercureChesterEast, General Manager at Mercure Chester Abbots Well Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2012

Dear Trip Advisor

Thank you for your recent review of the Mercure Chester Abbots Well Hotel on Tripadvisor.com

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. Please be assured that I will pass your kind comments onto the team, I know that they will all be delighted to read your feedback.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and we look forward to having the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed 10 July 2012

This was a truly wonderful hotel stayed for the weekend with my boyfriend we won it at a charity roulette evening. The hotel décor was a little dated but this did not affect my experience. the bathroom was lovely had a bath and a shower extremely nice shower easy to adjust temperature and it actually stayed at it. Extremely well kept and tidy all the time. The cleaning staff did not come in to our room not because they weren't efficient but because we went for a swim after gorging ourselves on the breakfast buffet, so always bumped in to the cleaning lady as she was on our corridor so we helped her out by giving her our towels and dirty tea cups in exchange for clean ones. She was extremely nice and always had a chat with us. Sure she would have gladly gone in and tidied our room, but i told her not to bother.
The breakfast buffet is definitely an investment we probably spent an hour in here eating could go back as many times as you liked the bacon was so good. service was brilliant too. My boyfriend even left his cigarettes which we went back for later that day that a staff member had kindly found. Very honest staff.
Pool area and spa area brilliant went here every morning often spoke to the locals as well as it is a local swimming pool for members only. there are swimming lessons going on but you are still allowed in the pool.
We went out to Chester zoo for the day defiantly recommend. Also ask the reception to ring a taxi the taxi company is much cheaper than anywhere else. believe they are abbey taxis ask for a card when you get in the taxi. even though it was a holiday we didn't pay for we where treated like everyone else extremely friendly staff very helpful defiantly recommend a stay here. may even go again myself.
Can not comment on the bar or restaurant they did look nice though and had a good deal on.
Absolutely no negatives :)
Oooo also the beds are really comfy!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 10 July 2012

We had a family get-together and booked a total of nine rooms.

I booked two rooms three months in advance via the hotel group's call centre, my details were taken and I prepaid by credit card. I was told the payment had gone through and I received an email confirmation to guarantee the rooms.

On arrival, I was told that my rooms had been released by "The System" because there had been a problems with my credits card. If this was the case, why was I told that my payment had gone through or why was I not contacted in the three months before arrival? The receptionist I spoke to did not seems to care.

There were no rooms available and I was turned away (having driven almost 200 miles to reach this hotel).

I have searched the Mercure and Accor Group website looking for a potal address so I can complain, but I can't find one. There is a web-based form, but it does not work.

AVOID THIS HOTEL AND THIS CHAIN. THEIR SYSTEMS DO NOT WORK, AND THEY DO NOT CARE.

Room Tip: Don't assume that a written confirmation of booking (and their booking guarentee) means anything...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank DrAOxfordshire

Dear Trip Advisor

I was disappointed to read your review, after speaking to my Reception Manager she advised that there was an error with reservation information on the system. I understand from her however that we had sourced alternative accommodations for you but you decided not to take us up on this offer.

I would hope that this wound not deter you from returning to the hotel, please contact me directly and I will ensure that the standard of service and accommodation you receive meets your expectations.

Reviewed 9 July 2012

Before leaving home for the hotel, we knew that the room would not be available till 1400 but this was only gleaned from a review site. This information does not appear on the Mecure website and the 0845 number I used from the website took me to central reservations who just told me to ring the hotel after 0900!! A direct dial national number to the Hotel Reception desk would be a more than useful addition to the website. We arrived at the hotel at 1100 on a Saturday morning. First impressions were not good, the foyer/reception area was a veritable sea of people, some lounging on the floor. The floor itself was not clean and tidy. The reception desk was manned by one young lady who, although efficient enough, did not offer what I consider to be a "warm" welcome. We then left the hotel to visit Chester which we did using the park and ride bus service which operates from a site just a few minutes walk away. We returned at 1700 to complete check in and receive our card key. The room 239 overlooked the "courtyard" and therefore not subject to any road noise. There is no air conditioning but a small electric fan is provided and the windows can be opened fully. Parents with children might want to use the restricted opening facility for safety. The room may get uncomfortably warm in hotter weather than we experienced. The room was clean (apart from some cobwebs) and tidy with some signs of wear and tear and squeaky floorboards but everything worked OK. Toiletries and tea/coffee were provided. It was unfortunate that a ladies hair clip had been dropped on the floor and not removed when the room was prepared. Our biggest disappointment with the room was that an internet connection was only available as part of a very expensive entertainment package (£19.99 I seem to recall) although there was free wifi in the bar area. We decided to use the spa facilities. We did not try the heat rooms/sauna or whirlpool. The swimming pool is rather small and shallow but appeared to be clean. Towels are provided. As we had eaten in the city we did not use the restaurant that evening. We did go to the bar basically to use the free internet connection. The bar area was fairly busy and the one member of staff on duty could not prevent a quite lengthy wait to be served. It was disappointing to note that there was no effort being made to keep the tables in the bar area clean. We had to ask a member of staff to wipe our table down as we were afraid the laptop would not be released by the sticky mess! We were a little bit worried that there may have been some early morning noise as the hotel was hosting a hen party or two. In fact it was not a problem and no worse that other hotels of our experience. Sunday breakfast was said to be available from 0730. However, although cereals, juices, toast and other cold fare was available from that time the hot food did not start appearing until approximately 0740 and was not all in place until 0800. This is not acceptable. Breakfast in its advertised entirety must be available from the beginning of the service. The quality of the food however was BRILLIANT and is as good as any UK hotel breakfast of our experience. We ate dinner in the hotel in the evening. One of our selections was served with a choice of sauces however the waitress forgot to ask which sauce was required. She reappeared a few minutes later to ascertain the choice which was a "blue cheese sauce". When the dish appeared it was obvious that a sauce had not been included. Rather, some simple grated cheddar cheese had been added! When questioned as to why the correct sauce had not been provided the waitress responded with "didnt x come and tell you that we have run out". Well, no actually. Not good enough!! The same timing issue with breakfast occurred again the next morning although the full complement of food was available within 15 minutes of the start time and again it was very good. Checkout was slow as we had to wait for the one member of staff to reappear from some mission which left the desk unmanned. As I said, some good points, some bad points and therefore completely average. The hotel seems to be understaffed in critical areas such as reception and bar/restaurant which impacts on customer experience. Overall, reasonable room, super breakfast but based on our experience, the Mercure Chester East does not rate 4 stars in its current form.

Room Tip: The rooms facing onto the "courtyard" are most probably the quietest

Dear Trip Advisor

I was pleased to read that overall you enjoyed your stay but disappointed to that you were not entirely satisfied. I have taken the opportunity to review the staffing levels in Reception and the Bar areas and I’m pleased to tell you that I have recruited a Food & Beverage Manager to who I know will improve this for us and I’m sure that you will see a big difference when you return.

Reviewed 6 July 2012

My husband and I recently stayed at this hotel for 1 night at a reduced price of £89 - That included Bed, Breakfast, 3 course Dinner and a bottle of house wine. This was a fantastic deal, breakfast was buffet style with lots of choice, dinner was very nice and plenty of it and the bottle of wine was a very nice touch. The young waiter was extremely polite and worked very hard trying to strike up a conversation with guests as well as giving them top service. We made use of the swimming pool, steam room, sauna and jacuzzi which was all ok. The staff on the front desk and fitness suite were all very friendly and efficient. My only reason for saying that this was not really a 4 star hotel was the room, it was ok, but very basic, no drawers to put clothes away, the bathroom was a bit dull looking (I dont think the grey tiles helped) and the ceiling tiles needed updating. The bed was quite uncomfortable, you could feel all the springs digging in to you (and Im not a heavy person). I did mention this when we checked out so hopefully they will change the mattress. Hopefully people wont read this as negative, because I would definitely recommend them and we enjoyed our stay, I just think 4 stars conjures up something a little more updated, sorry.

Room Tip: Maybe ask if they have any upgraded rooms available

Dear Trip Advisor

I was pleased to read that overall you enjoyed your stay but disappointed to that you were not entirely satisfied. Since the recent acquisition of the hotel we have entered into discussions with the owners of the business and we hope to be able to start work on updating many of our bedrooms shortly. In addition to this we are also sourcing a new bed standard to offer a better sleep, which we want to roll out in the very near future.

Reviewed 4 July 2012

This hotel came through on a deal through KGB described as an idyllic spa escape. The decor is really dated to say it is described as a 4 star. We used the spa facilties and found they had childrens/babies swimming lessons on. The changing room was full to the brim with babies! There was absolutely no room and because there are only 2 showers it was chaos!
The staff were friendly in the restaurant but it was very basic. Food was better in the evening but slightly on the expensive side.
Our bed was really uncomfortable and the room was stuffy. We had to request a fan for our second night.

Some serious money needs spending on this hotel to bring it up to a four star standard.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family

Dear Trip Advisor

I was disappointed to read that you had not enjoyed your stay completely, since the recent acquisition of the hotel we have entered into discussions with the owners of the business and we hope to be able to start work on updating many of our bedrooms shortly. In addition to this we are also sourcing a new bed standard to offer a better sleep, which we want to roll out in the very near future.

I would hope that this has not deterred you from a return visit and that we can have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed 2 July 2012

our 2 night stay was great. we stayed in a reduced mobility room as my husband is in a wheelchair and the staff were both helpful and respectful. The spa was good for me to relax, but would have been difficult for my husband to access. Dining room breakfast was plentiful and the evening meals were excellent. There were functions being held on both nights but we were not disturbed by them at all. Would definitely reccommend.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Management response:Responded 4 July 2012

Dear Trip Advisor

Thank you for your recent review of the Mercure Chester East Hotel on Tripadvisor.com