“Excellent Dining”

Mercure Chester Abbots Well Hotel
Ranked #29 of 45 Hotels in Chester
Reviewed 4 August 2012

A lovely mid-week break for me and my husband at the Mercure East. We had a meal in the hotel on the first evening which was pre-booked when we checked in. It was about £21.00 each but was worth so much more. We both had pate for starters and that was excellent followed by chicken with cheesy stuffed baked potato skins and vegetables for me and pork for my husband. Both meals were worthy of a high class restaurant and the chef is a genius. The sweets were equally delicious and we had a rose wine with the meal, which made for an excellent night.
The room was listed as a studio room and was on the ground floor. It had everything you would want but the iron was missing from our room. The room overlooked the rear car park, so was quiet. We read that the hotel had free WiFi but this is only available in the bar area.
In all this is a lovely hotel and you must try out the restaurant - also serving wonderful full English breakfast. Recommend for a hotel close to Chester, with all it has to offer. The Cheshire Oaks outlet was one of the reasons why we were there and it never disappoints. Great 3 day break!

Room Tip: Overlooking he back car park - room no. 130 - 152.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
GMMercureChesterEast, General Manager at Mercure Chester Abbots Well Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2012

Dear Trip Advisor

Thank you for your recent review of the Mercure Chester Abbots Well on Tripadvisor.com

Once again, thank you for your feedback and we look forward to having the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

James Lake

Write a ReviewReviews (1,606)

Reviewed 3 August 2012

Had one night here as a stop-off after visiting Chester Zoo.

We were on a cheap deal (£50 for a double room) so got the most basic room, but it was fine for the price.

Staff were extremely helpful and friendly, and even when we had a problem with our shower (no cold water getting through) we were quickly moved to another room and given a free round of drinks for the very minimal inconvenience.

We didn't eat in the restaurant as we booked elsewhere (Sticky Walnut; fanatstic restaurant!)but the menu here looked nice too, the bar was lovely and the health club excellent. Big pool, jacuzzi, kids pool and gym, all included.

Should also add the breakfast was excellent. Not included in our tariff, but £10 if booked in advance at reception (normal price £14). Definitely worth it.

For the money we paid it was great value, and I understand there are better/newer rooms for those not on cheapo deals like us.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 3 August 2012

Me and my grandson came here from holland on monday and we stayed here in mercure for 5 nights,check in was quick and the lady in the reception was so nice and helpful.The hotel was clean and reasonable size but it could do more a few drawers to put clothes on.dinner was good but slow servise,dinner staff are nice though.The best credit of the hotel was the breakfast we did have 3 breakfast for 7.50 each that was a very good price and lots of food.I want to say thank you to the filipino lady who look after us every morning she was so nice and kind to every guest and also the other staff they are all kind and very polite.we are looking forward to stay with you again next year.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family

Reviewed 2 August 2012

Again Groupon deal. Lovel hotel, very welcoming reception staff. Chamber male maid was excellent. Breakfast was a bit mad, had to queue. A small Philopeno lady was shouting orders and the poor young men where running around like headless chickens but still managed to smile. Room very good very clean. Over all had a lovely time in Chester East Mercure

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
GMMercureChesterEast, General Manager at Mercure Chester Abbots Well Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 August 2012

Reviewed 2 August 2012

We (2 couples) stayed in this hotel for 2 nights. We purchased a deal from the KGB site. We found check-in to be quick and efficient. Our rooms were of a decent size and very clean. We ate in the hotel bar both evenings and enjoyed the food each time. We found the staff to be very pleasant and helpful. The breakfasts were some of the best I have eaten in hotels I have stayed in, again efficient and prompt service.
We walked to Chester from the hotel along the canal and would recommend this walk.
The only slight niggle we had was the heating - it could be turned down a notch or two but given the summer we've had maybe that's difficult to anticipate.
One member of staff deserves a particular mention in that she was very welcoming and excellent at her job. This lady worked in the bar on the Friday (dark hair - her son also works in the hotel I think) - give her a rise she deserves it!
We will return to this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 30 July 2012

Mercure's standards must be very low indeed.

I do not know where to start this review. Let's start with check in. We appeared at about 5.00pm on Friday. There was no queue, and 2 staff were on duty. How it needed 2 staff and 25 minutes to check us in is beyond me. I had rung twice about this booking, and all had been confirmed.
Then, the room. I have been in bigger single rooms. It was tiny and the small "double" bed took up most of the room. There was nowhere to put luggage and bags other than either on the bed or on the floor. The only bit of floor available was needed to walk around the bed. On trying to empty some of the bags contents, we found that there was no cupboard, just an exposed rack with a few hangers.

There were a lot of things just not available. No air-con. No hair dryer. No space. No seats in the bar on Saturday night. (We were moved to a windowless function room which would not have been out of place in a prison).

The room-based Internet access was a serious rip-off. £6 for ONE hour. I could not believe it. Even BT would never charge that amount.

I could go on and on about this "weekend" but the hotel was so awful I would rather forget it.

Mercure clearly has very low standards. Avoid.

Room Tip: If the other rooms are like ours, I would avoid the whole hotel. A tent might give you some comfort.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank ancientobserver
GMMercureChester, General Manager at Mercure Chester Abbots Well Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 December 2013

Dear Guest,

I appologise for the shortcomings in our offering.
We will review and I am sure that if you were to visit again, you will see an improvement.

Regards

Reviewed 30 July 2012

Excellent base for a short break in Chester, park and ride is literally 2 minutes away. Staff very friendly, leisure and communal facilities very good, food excellent. Just two small negatives the lift is basically a service lift and not great for getting a small baby up and down stairs and no air con in the room made it very hot at this time of year, although to be fair a fan was provided which did help. I wouldn't hesitate to go back.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family