“Nice locatrion - shame about room size”

Mercure Chester Abbots Well Hotel
Ranked #26 of 44 Hotels in Chester
Guildford, United Kingdom
“Nice locatrion - shame about room size”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2012

Once modern hotel with impressive facilities other than somewhat poky standard bedrooms (photo on Mercure website was definitely not what we had...).
Comfortable nough but not quite as expected. Staff wer epleasnat and the bar arrea is quite attractive / welcoming.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
GMMercureChesterEast, General Manager at Mercure Chester Abbots Well Hotel, responded to this review, 20 August 2012
Dear Trip Advisor

Thank you for your recent review of the Mercure Chester Abbots Well on Tripadvisor.com

I was pleased to read your very kind comments about the service and food but obviously disappointed to read that the room did not meet your expectations.

I understand your concern about your bedroom, we have started an in house programme of redecoration. We do have a small number of these smaller bedrooms, the vast majority however are significantly bigger and more recently refurbished. When you are next staying, contact me personally and I will ensure that you all receive our larger bedrooms.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and we hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

James Lake

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (285)
Rotherham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2012

Just returned from a two night stay at the above hotel. First impressions good, large car park with plenty of spaces. Well signposted on Road. Very friendly Receptionist who explained everything about the hotel. The hotel room allocated was clean but a little old tired. No wardrobe, but hanging space for clothes etc. Need more tea bags and milk sachets in room - one each per day.
Ordered newspapers each day, but they were nicked from outside our room each day.
Breakfast really nice on both days. Food always fresh and plenty of tea and coffee available. We didnt use the restaurant, but was told the food was good. There were some meal deals available.
Spa area was very good. large pool wheich you could actually swim in. Steam room, Jaccuzi and sauna.
Location of hotel very good. Park and ride 5 mins walk, but make sure you have correct change as it should cost £1.40 each, but if you dont have change it ends up costing £2.00 each. Taxi available from hotel for £4.50 so little difference.
You can also walk into Chester along the canal. Takes approx 40 minutes and a couple of pubs on the way. Access to this next to the Harvester Pub across the road from the front entrance to the hotel.
Overall a good hotel for the offer price, and I would stay again

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank daz001
GMMercureChesterEast, General Manager at Mercure Chester Abbots Well Hotel, responded to this review, 8 August 2012
Dear Trip Advisor

Once again, thank you for your feedback and we look forward to having the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Warrington, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2012

I held a 4 day scientific conference at this hotel. The staff were extremely supportive, the costs were competitive and I could not fault the facilities and professional approach. The food was extremely good, and staff were on hand for the duration fo the conference to ensure that any issues that may arise were dealt with promptly. I felt so confident that I will definitely consider it for further events.
Since that time, I have stayed at this hotel personally and the services are extremely good. For convenience for Chester, it's brilliant without being completely over priced!

Room Tip: I was on ground floor - and extremely convenient....
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled on business

HSOCELLO
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2012

We stayed here in June for two nights during the Diamond Jubilee week. The receptionist was very helpful and made us most welcome telling us about the hotel's meal deal and about the swimming pool at the hotel.

Our room was clean and comfortable and surprisingly large, with a lovely bathroom. We tried out the swimming pool and it was very warm but got a little busy just before dinner, understandably.

We ate twice in the hotel and took advantage of the meal deal so our meal was very good value with a free bottle of wine for KGB deal customers. On the second evening, there was a large party of German tourists and the staff struggled to cope. People were being turned away or directed to eat in the bar. What a shame as the food was very good and with a little bit of organisation of the staffing rota, everyone could have eaten in the restaurant.

Overall, we enjoyed our stay very much indeed. The staff looked after my cello for me in the office and nothing was too much trouble for them. Well done to all the staff at this hotel. We will definitely come back to visit Chester again.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank HSOCELLO

Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2012

My girlfriend and I stayed at this hotel over the weekend and we enjoyed every second of it. We both found it absolutely remarkable that poor reviews had been left for the hotel which in our opinion were completed unfounded. The staff were attentive, facilities top drawer, and food great. Admittedly the prices of both food and drink were a little expensive but you come to expect that in a hotel of this standard. Most certainly a 4* and not a 3* that some claim it to be. Would definitely recommend to others and will look to visit again in the not too distant future.

Northumberland, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2012

An excellent midweek break for me and my wife, Hotel is very well managed with polite and very helpful staff.Room was clean and well serviced during our 3 day break, could have done with a little more storage space for our clothes.Excellent breakfast service, leisure facilities were also very good.Hotel is located well,Chester was only a 50 minute stroll along the canal.All in a a most enjoyable and comfortable stay,considering that we only made the booking 2 days before our arrival, via the hotel's website at a very cheap price!

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2012 via mobile

Stopped here end of July on a groupon type deal and it was excellent value for money.we arrived an hour early but were checked into our room straight away. It was of decent size, had a king size bed and brilliant air con. The leisure facilities were superb(although we never used them)nice bar/lounge areas. Handily placed for Chester, either walkable or park and ride. We ate out both nights but the breakfasts were the best we have had in a hotel in a long time. In our view well worth a visit.

• Stayed July 2012