“Very good hotel”

Ranked #26 of 44 Hotels in Chester
Lancaster, United Kingdom
“Very good hotel”
Reviewed 27 November 2012

Stayed here with some friends 25th-26th Nov, and thought overall this was a very good hotel. It's in a close location to Chester Zoo and less than a 10 minute drive into Chester. On the Sunday evening we walked along the canal into town which was pleasant - took about an hour. Thought the free parking was quite a rarity nowadays. The hotel at the moment is decked out in some Christmas decorations which makes it look nice and festive but not over the top. My room had a huge bed - and was very clean. After reading a few reviews about the breakfast not being great, I'm glad we actually booked this well worth it! £7.50 if booked in advance or £13 on the day, makes it extremely reasonable if booked in advance, there were a few coach parties in so my friend was advised that we wait until 9am when they had left, I was a bit dubious thinking most of the buffet breakfast would have gone, but that wasn't the case, lots of variety and fresh food bought out, we had to wait for a table to be cleared but we weren't in a rush so we didn't mind. Only downside to the hotel was that my room was extremely warm evn with the window open and the radiator on low and the shower seemed to have a mind of it's own giving boiling water or nothing, in the evening the hotel bar could have done with another member of staff on as well as there was a bit of a wait to place an order. Overall though really enjoyed my stay.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
GMMercureChesterEast, General Manager at Mercure Chester Abbots Well Hotel, responded to this review, 5 December 2012
Dear Trip Advisor

Thank you for your recent review of the Mercure Chester Abbots Well on Tripadvisor.com

Once again, thank you for your feedback and we look forward to having the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

James Lake

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (292)
Reviewed 26 November 2012

we stayed her on the 24th and 25th on kgb deals and what a dissapointment both breakfast was horrindous,staff doesnt seems to know what they are doing.Food was ok but service is not very good.sunday breakfast was aweful we are asked to sit in the bar because there is no set tables we,ve waited for ages but no one came to take as so we went to the restaurant and clear our tables instead,we sat there for 5 min no one even come to give us cuttlery or atleast offered tea so my wife picked up cuttlery from the next table and wipe it with napkin,we did finished our breakfast and yet no tea and coffee.WE WERE VERY DISSAPOINTED there is no way we will use this hotel again.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Trip Advisor
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post your feedback on Tripadvisor following your stay at the Mercure Chester Abbots Well Hotel.

Please accept my sincere apologies that we did not exceed your expectations. I have noted your constructive criticism as your feedback is very important to us as we continue in our search for excellence. Please be assured that I will be taking your comments and speaking to my Food and Beverage Manager about your concerns.

I do hope that you will return to the Mercure Chester Abbots Well Hotel in the near future thus allowing us the opportunity to restore your confidence in us.

Yours sincerely
James Lake

Travellers are raving about these Chester hotels

cottingham
Reviewed 23 November 2012

Bought a deal from KGB, (which despite the bad reviews about them everything was fine) went with three other friends, the rooms were modern and well equipped clean and warm. the breakfast was the best I have had for a long time good quality bacon etc, we had a meal in the restaurant on the sunday night which was also very good. The location although 5 or 10 mins from Chester centre was great because 2 mins walk away there was a park and ride £2 return which was very good for shopping all day. The staff were all happy and friendly and the couple of little issues we had were dealt with very quickly and with little fuss. Would definitely return.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends

Reviewed 12 November 2012

Stayed on 10/11. Deal on KGB for £79 including breakfast. Have to say that the room sizes for a '4*' were very disappointing. I queried with reception if that was the normal room and they showed me a twin instead. I said that was equally as small and would have hoped for something larger from a 4*... a kingsized bed ought to be the norm. They then upgraded us to a suite. That was very good of them but I have to say the suite was probably what you would expect of a standard double in a 4*. Had we paid for a suite we would have been very disappointed with that too. Pool area was nice, all the staff were pleasant and the hotel is in a good location for going to Chester and Cheshire Oaks. Breakfast to the room was OK. Overall if this was a 3* I would give it a 4 or 5 grade but as it classes itself as a 4*, lots of improvements are needed to get a good review. I probably wouldn't stay here again...

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Diane M
GMMercureChesterEast, General Manager at Mercure Chester Abbots Well Hotel, responded to this review, 14 November 2012
Dear Trip Advisor

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us, but disappointed that you would not consider a return visit. I will of course pass your kind comments onto the team as I know that they will appreciate them.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and we hope that you will have a change of heart and return for a visit in the future.

Reviewed 9 November 2012

This Was lovely weekend break. Staff recepción friendly as were restaurant and fitness suite staff. The Room Was warm and extra heater and fan at the ready. Very clean and bathroom sparkled¡ The staff in the restaurant were young and yet very polite¡ If they diente know something they ensured someone Was there to help. Excellent warm pool too and Good valué for money, although bar drinks were a little expansiva¡ Would recommend for families or singles on as it Was near chester if you went a night out¡

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Franklinchez

Virginia Beach, Virginia
Reviewed 8 November 2012

Nice hotel located kind of "ruralish". Not impressive on the outside, but inside was good and cozy. Our room was clean and comfortable. The staff was friendly and helpful too. The hotel did have a very nice indoor pool, spa area and gym, all well kept. Would stay again.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Trip Advisor

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us, please be assured that I will pass your kind comments onto the team, I know that they will all be delighted to read your feedback. Hopefully when you next visit you will like the new colour that we are painting the outside of the building.