“Average” 3 of 5 bubbles

Mercure Chester Abbots Well Hotel
Ranked #27 of 45 Hotels in Chester
“Average”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 December 2012 via mobile

Was a bit disappointed with the room, quite old fashioned furnishing. Bathroom very very small and minimal hot water when using the shower. There was also dust all round the bath sides. Very comfy bed though.

Breakfast was lovely, lots of choice, hot or cold. Just a Shame the toaster broke half way through service! But the cooks bought out toast from the kitchen swiftly.

Good check in, however the info given to us regarding the park and ride (which is very handy, walkable distance down the road) was wrong- as all times had been altered due to Xmas. And the price advised was wrong.

Over all would go back mostly due to location and the quality of the breakfast

• Stayed December 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
GMMercureChesterEast, General Manager at Mercure Chester Abbots Well Hotel, responded to this review, 1 January 2013
Dear Trip Advisor

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post your feedback on Tripadvisor following your stay at the Mercure Chester Abbots Well Hotel.

I was pleased to read that you found the hotel to be suitable for you, but disappointed that on this occasion we did not exceed your expectations. I have noted your constructive criticism as your feedback is very important to us as we continue in our search for excellence.

I do hope that you will return to the Mercure Chester Abbots Well Hotel in the near future.

James Lake

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (281)
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 December 2012

My family and I stayed for one night on 16/12/12 in a family room as a base for exploring Chester.

The room was located on the first floor with no lift access. I was not asked if I needed help carrying our bags to the room, which was disappointing. The room was clean and beds comfortable although with no apparent room thermostat, we did 'cook' in our beds all night, as the temperature was far too hot.

The pool was nice and good for the children. The changing rooms being clean and staff helpful.

We stayed for breakfast which was ok even though it did remind me of a school cafeteria. However, the food was pleasant enough. The choice of hot beverages was very limited. I asked for peppermint tea to be told they didn't have any and I could have only normal tea or coffee. The service at breakfast depended on who you asked, as some staff were friendlier than others. I asked for a knife and was told "you have to wait", so I sent my daughter to find one instead.

The only problem, which is not really the fault of the hotel, there were a lot of drunken parties taking place and the reception was a little intimidating (9.00pm) as it was full of loud groups of men and women watching tv. We were also kept awake all night with drunken revellers returning to their rooms swearing, slamming doors and being very very noisy - not something my 8 and 11 year old daughters needed to hear. As such, I don't think it was really a family hotel (more of a group and business hotel), so would not really recommend to families.

However, it is in a good location with a park and ride into Chester located very close to the hotel.

Room Tip: Not for families.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with family

Bolton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 December 2012

Had a fabulous 3 nights break , great pool and gym easy access into chester/cheshire oaks park and ride fab just a few minuets walk away, very friendly lovely staff all made us very welcome. Duty Manager Anthony Sutton well suited to the job always on hand to help out he has a charming sweet charisma which tempted us to look for faults just for him to sort out a real Hotel professional who did actually care.

We can recommend anyone to treat themrselves to a stay here.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
GMMercureChesterEast, General Manager at Mercure Chester Abbots Well Hotel, responded to this review, 18 December 2012
Dear Trip Advisor

Thank you for your recent review of the Mercure Chester Abbots Well on Tripadvisor.com

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and particularly the customer service you received from Anthony, please be assured that I will pass your kind comments onto him and the remainder of the team, I know that they will all be delighted to read your feedback.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and we look forward to having the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Manchester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 December 2012

Purchased a "deal" through a well known discount website. Had to pay hotel for an extra £20 saturday supplement. Hotel seemed ok on arrival, staff tended to stare a little bit more than needed. Reception area seemed ok.
On arrival at the room it was definitely not four star. Every floor board creaked in a bizarre fashion. Small room, small 1980's bathroom. Looking out of the window reminded me of a cold war army barracks.
The bed was uncomfortable and to top it of if i wanted to put th tv on i had to pay £14,95 for the pleasure.
Over priced stary staff, ive stayed in better hostels in eastern europe.
I actually went home after 3 hours.

Room Tip: Stay at premier inn.
1 Thank Daniel M
GMMercureChesterEast, General Manager at Mercure Chester Abbots Well Hotel, responded to this review, 17 December 2012
Dear Trip Advisor

Please accept my sincere apologies that we did not exceed your expectations. I have noted your constructive criticism as your feedback is very important to us as we continue in our search for excellence.

We are working through a programme of decorations in the hotel and I can only assume that your bedroom was one of the ones that have not been complete. Perhaps when you are next in the area you could contact me personally and I will ensure that you receive one.

In terms of the television, there is a selection of channels free of charge the only additional charge is for pay per view box office movies.

I do hope that you will return to the Mercure Chester Abbots Well Hotel in the near future thus allowing us the opportunity to restore your confidence in us.

James Lake

Travellers are raving about these Chester hotels

Honiton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2012

Visited on a KGB deal good value for money £59 per night B &B for two people stayed for 2 nights. Found all staff to be extremely friendly and helpful. Room on the small side but more than comfortable and spotlessly clean.
Watch out for the coach parties, avoid the restaurant when they're around. We had some in the room next door who kept us awake until 12.45am. Good quality food in the restaurant.
The hotel is well located for visiting Chester we used the park and ride 5 minutes walk from the hotel.

Nottingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 December 2012

This is the third two night mid-week break with Mercure inside two months and it was well up to standard.We stayed at the Abbotts Well in Chester.Great food,great Seb Coe lessure center and excellent service.Breakfast was plentyfull and the evening meal on the first night was of top quality.All the staff were helpfull and the Hotel was very clean.Park and ride only two minutes walk down the road so no need to use the car,We would recommend this Hotel to our friends and we would deffinately return again.Real value for money.

Room Tip: Park and Ride two minutes down the road.
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
GMMercureChesterEast, General Manager at Mercure Chester Abbots Well Hotel, responded to this review, 14 December 2012

Darlington, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2012

We got a great deal £139 for 2 nights for 2 people inc Breakfast each morning and Dinner on first night. If you work this out, we probably paid £25 per night each inc Breakfast ! (allowing for a 3 course dinner)

The reception, bar areas and restaurant are well furnished and airy, making for a relaxing area for a pre/post dinner drink. The Food on the 'Free' dinner night was ok, not gourmet but good non the less. Breakfast each morning was very busy, but they kept replenishing the food and it was of a good standard, so no complaints there.

The Rooms were very small (Standard), but very clean and for the money, again no complaints. Perhaps the best asset of this hotel is the staff, Throughout the Hotel, Bar, Reception and Restaurant, there was always a sincere smile and a genuine willingness to help and make our party feel welcome, Well Done !!

I would say that the hotel fits into a reasonable 3 star, rather than 4 star, but good overall stay.

We had great weather, cold but sunny, and walked along the canal path into Chester, about 40 mins, and got a taxi back £4.90. All in all a great weekend and would definitely consider a return visit

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank 190728Richard
GMMercureChesterEast, General Manager at Mercure Chester Abbots Well Hotel, responded to this review, 11 December 2012