“Pity about the gourmet buffet, but the front of house staff help Mercure to this excellent,”

Mercure Chester Abbots Well Hotel
Ranked #26 of 44 Hotels in Chester
Leicester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2012

This was a wonderful surprise and excellent value for money. Arrival and our first good service from Kellie, the name sticks apologies to all those whose name did not. We were allocated a studio room for our three night stay. A lovely rooms with a zipped together bed, not even, a little bit of a downer but hey its Christmas, a grand bathroom with Mercure's lovely complimentary gels and creams. A trip to Chester followed what a lovely surprise, a Christmas Eve service at the Cathedral what a wonderful setting for Christmas. Back to the hotel for Christmas Eve night, a bus party was in teh hotel but the all in meal was excellent, again with very attentive service and teh wine was not too bad either. The endearing bus driver of forementioned trip allowed us to join his coach into Chester for midnight mass. Christmas Day, this is where we need to make allowances - it is Christmas Day, we were to the end of breakfast so ought to endeavour to get down earlier, for the next two days. Spent Christmas walking the walls of Chester and had a drink at the Architect - good setting, nice ambiance and mine host was pleasant to two late arrivals on Christmas day , a litlle pricey?. Back to the hotel for our Christmas Gourmet Buffet, lunch at £60 was avoided a little too much in food and price, so we decided to make do with the Gormet buffet, I do not know who gave it the title but the buffet bit was correct, gourmet it was not. Sausage Rolls looked like they had come from the smart price range, the hot food was past its best and basic, bhajees and simosas were near to being burnt. The turkey rolls were tasty, as was teh salmon tarts but teh cheese and branson were more proper to a Working Mens Club not a four start hotel. The desert was a piece of cake and past there best profiteroles, many more were more disappointed than me, particularly my fiancee. Boxing Day at the nearby Cheshire Oaks designer village was OK, but not as gorgous as Chester. A trip to teh leisure cp,pex, fitness suite, pool, jacuzzi and sauna was very relaxing, very good facilities much better than Bristol. Evening Meal the same menu as Christmas Eve but with a totally opposite and disappointing outcome, teh disappointment assisted by the fifty minutes wait for the starter a glass of wine has compensation when the hotel was not busy was too little and too late and the impact on everything that followed was influenced, could not even amnage a sweet!. So a lovely stay with lots of disappointments but the bath, bedroom, lounge, lesisure faciites are great but the staff tried that little more than elsewhere to get Mercure out of the mire and to excellent. All staff were cheery, from the, reception, to the cleaning to the waiters etc. thank you. mercure it may eb Christmas but people have paid good money for a Gourmets buffet not something that British rail would have rejected.

Room Tip: Studio at least - inner rooms are away from the road and face teh "green"
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
GMMercureChesterEast, General Manager at Mercure Chester Abbots Well Hotel, responded to this review, 1 January 2013
Dear Trip Advisor

Thank you for your recent review of the Mercure Chester Abbots Well on Tripadvisor.com

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and particularly the customer service you received from Kellie, please be assured that I will pass your kind comments onto her and the remainder of the team, I know that they will all be delighted to read your feedback.

I do take your point about the buffet, it should have been sold more as a light buffet and I apologise for this.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and we look forward to having the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

James Lake

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (285)
Brussels, Région De Bruxelles-Capitale, Belgium
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2012

We had one night here, my wife and I, to give us a base for some shopping and an evening out while my mother was taking care of the kids. We ate at 'upstairs at the grill' in Chester and it was just the most perfect meal, if you're going to Chester you really should try this place.
Back to the hotel. When you arrive the exterior of the hotel is not the most impressive, it looks like a prefabricated portacabin. There is plenty of parking and the park and ride is only a few hundred yards away and at £2 a cheap and practical way to get into the city.
The staff at the hotel were all very good, welcoming and helpful.
The room was basic and much like every other business hotel you've ever been to, if you've ever been to a wedding in a hotel which makes most of their money from weddings then you'll know the type of room I mean.
Our room was along side the main road which created a constant noise throughout the night. Then from 4am someone was delivering something to the hotel which required them to push noisy trolleys back and forth past our window for over an hour. If you want my advise you should demand a room which faces into the hotel, on the right of the corridor.
I went to the spa in the morning for a quick swim, it was even more tired than the rest of the hotel with a leaking ceiling in the men's changing room which was in the basement so a little worrying. The pool was warmer than I'd have a bath and a strange shape which I can only imagine was tough to design, a pool in which it's not possible to swim more than 4 stokes without hitting a wall. The whole spa area was in need of significant refurbishment, if not just levelling and starting from scratch, having said this it did all work and the sauna was good.
The breakfast was nice enough and again the staff were attentive and friendly.
I've just read this review and realise it's not so complimentary. To be honest, for a one night stay for pleasure or business it's not a bad option, the location is great and the price was competitive, Chester is such a beautiful city that you'll not be spending much time in the hotel anyway.

Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Gregory B

Portsmouth, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2012

Booked this Hotel for 2 nights to visit Chester. They were offering a special Deal for B&B and Dinner one Evening, so good value for the amount paid. Had a Studio Room, which although on the small side, was clean with ok facilities. Good Pool, Friendly Helpful Staff and near the Park & Ride for a £2 return Bus to the City Centre in under 10 mins. Only slight downside was the Room got very Hot overnight, even with the Heating switched off, and you could hear noise from the Rooms next door and above at times.

Room Tip: Get one on the top floor they will be quieter.
Dear Trip Advisor

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post your feedback on Tripadvisor following your stay at the Mercure Chester Abbots Well Hotel.

I was pleased to read that you found the hotel to be suitable for you, but disappointed that on this occasion we did not exceed your expectations. I have noted your constructive criticism as your feedback is very important to us as we continue in our search for excellence.

I do hope that you will return to the Mercure Chester Abbots Well Hotel in the near future.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 December 2012

I got a deal on a double room which made the stay good value for money the outside of the hotel was not that nice but the rooms were nice clean and comfortable the leisure faclities were also good apart from the Steam room not working.

I would stay here again if I got the same sort of deal, the location is ideal for a shopping trip to Cheshire Oaks Shopping Villiage.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 December 2012 via mobile

Was a bit disappointed with the room, quite old fashioned furnishing. Bathroom very very small and minimal hot water when using the shower. There was also dust all round the bath sides. Very comfy bed though.

Breakfast was lovely, lots of choice, hot or cold. Just a Shame the toaster broke half way through service! But the cooks bought out toast from the kitchen swiftly.

Good check in, however the info given to us regarding the park and ride (which is very handy, walkable distance down the road) was wrong- as all times had been altered due to Xmas. And the price advised was wrong.

Over all would go back mostly due to location and the quality of the breakfast

• Stayed December 2012

Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 December 2012

My family and I stayed for one night on 16/12/12 in a family room as a base for exploring Chester.

The room was located on the first floor with no lift access. I was not asked if I needed help carrying our bags to the room, which was disappointing. The room was clean and beds comfortable although with no apparent room thermostat, we did 'cook' in our beds all night, as the temperature was far too hot.

The pool was nice and good for the children. The changing rooms being clean and staff helpful.

We stayed for breakfast which was ok even though it did remind me of a school cafeteria. However, the food was pleasant enough. The choice of hot beverages was very limited. I asked for peppermint tea to be told they didn't have any and I could have only normal tea or coffee. The service at breakfast depended on who you asked, as some staff were friendlier than others. I asked for a knife and was told "you have to wait", so I sent my daughter to find one instead.

The only problem, which is not really the fault of the hotel, there were a lot of drunken parties taking place and the reception was a little intimidating (9.00pm) as it was full of loud groups of men and women watching tv. We were also kept awake all night with drunken revellers returning to their rooms swearing, slamming doors and being very very noisy - not something my 8 and 11 year old daughters needed to hear. As such, I don't think it was really a family hotel (more of a group and business hotel), so would not really recommend to families.

However, it is in a good location with a park and ride into Chester located very close to the hotel.

Room Tip: Not for families.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with family

Bolton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 December 2012

Had a fabulous 3 nights break , great pool and gym easy access into chester/cheshire oaks park and ride fab just a few minuets walk away, very friendly lovely staff all made us very welcome. Duty Manager Anthony Sutton well suited to the job always on hand to help out he has a charming sweet charisma which tempted us to look for faults just for him to sort out a real Hotel professional who did actually care.

We can recommend anyone to treat themrselves to a stay here.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
GMMercureChesterEast, General Manager at Mercure Chester Abbots Well Hotel, responded to this review, 18 December 2012
Dear Trip Advisor

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and particularly the customer service you received from Anthony, please be assured that I will pass your kind comments onto him and the remainder of the team, I know that they will all be delighted to read your feedback.