“Good value for money”

Ranked #28 of 44 Hotels in Chester
London
“Good value for money”
Reviewed 15 March 2013

We stayed for a weekend at the Mercure and I can confidently say that our stay was very pleasant. Check in was fast, staff were polite, the hotel bar was perfectly fine and so was the breakfast buffet. Our room was spacious enough for a 2 night stay and the bed very comfy. Overall I would not rate this hotel a 4 star property but more a 3 star. The rooms don't have a wardrobe which is very unusual. There are obvious signs of wear and tear everywhere and in general it lacks the sophistication of a four star, nevertheless a pleasant place to stay.

• Stayed March 2013
GMMercureChesterEast, General Manager at Mercure Chester Abbots Well Hotel, responded to this review, 16 March 2013
Dear Trip Advisor

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post your feedback on Tripadvisor following your stay at the Mercure Chester Abbots Well Hotel.

I was pleased to read that you found the hotel to be suitable for you, but disappointed that on this occasion we did not exceed your expectations. I have noted your constructive criticism as your feedback is very important to us as we continue in our search for excellence.

I do hope that you will return to the Mercure Chester Abbots Well Hotel in the near future.

James Lake

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (301)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 March 2013

I must admit that it was hard to rate this hotel has I have mix feelings about it.
I gave it 4 out of 5 because the most important thing is the accommodation which looked very nice, modern and comfortable. Everything was cleaned and all the toiletries, towels and coffee/tea tray needed were there.
It is not a central hotel but as we traveled and moved around by car that was not a problem to us at all and the little health club which includes a small swimming pool, a steam room,Turkish bath and a jacuzzi was a plus to us. It was indeed nice after a 4 hours drive to be able to relax there. This health club facilities are not exactly new and the swimming pool could be updated but it is not an urgent or serious matter, not for us anyway.

The staff, in general, is nice and polite but I felt that most of them were speeding up when providing information. Our impression (I traveled with my husband) was that they weren't very keen on spending a bit of time with customers to explain whatever customers might needed.That can be confusing sometimes as people might not understand all the information given and we felt that there was no room for the same questions or doubts. ( I must underline that the hotel was not busy when we stayed there.)
The biggest exception was the staff at the buffet breakfast room. The waiter in service was indeed helpful, nice, polite and all at a normal pace that made us enjoy a relaxing breakfast time. I made a mistake with my coffee and he quickly ordered a new one. Very professional.

We decided to have the buffet breakfast but that was a mistake. Staff in here are very helpful but the food was terrible! Some cereals, some fruits, some bread, butter and jam but no cheese. I appreciate a good continental breakfast so for me it was a bit disappointing. Then you have a n option of coffee, tea and some juice or milk you can add.
There are also a few breakfasts that you can order such as English breakfast or eggs Benedict. We went for the eggs Benedict. It was awful! The eggs were indeed boiled. Too much I would say. The sauce was not appropriate either. Nothing that looked like Dutch sauce.
Considering that we ordered a pizza and a few others snacks and drinks the night before and the pizza was one of the worse we have had in a long time I must say that this is definitely not the place to eat.The lack of presentation of the meal we ordered through room service let us down. Everything was a no when it comes to food.

There is also a bar. We tried the bar but since there was no music, only the telly with news we gave up. The atmosphere was just not right to us. The restaurant where breakfasts also happen is a lovely room, cozy and well decorated.

Once inside the room you have TV, a few (not many) movies you can buy and surfing on the internet will cost you around £4.00. Pretty much everything is an extra... extra for the breakfast, extra for the movies or specific tv channels, extra for wifi.

As I wrote before, mixed feelings... but the essential is all there. It's just a matter of what is more important for you.

Dolgellau, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 March 2013

Stayed at the hotel on a KGB deal and was delighted with our choice.The proximity of the Park and Ride (next door) make the location splendid for those who wish to be close to the city centre but do not want the hassle of searching for parking and finding one's way around. The hotel is set in pleasant gardens, away from the busy main road and is therefore peaceful and quiet. The interior public areas are well planned, clean, warm and comfortable and the staff in Reception and in the dining room are delightful and helpful. Our breakfast was tasty and the choice was good, but not wonderful. We would have prefered warmer food but that is one of the penalties of having a self-serve breakfast, I assume. Our two dinners were excellent, tasty and hot and the choice from our allowance was fair. Our room was warm and comfortable although a touch smaller than I would have chosen. Free Wifi was welcome and the bathroom contained a good shower. I used the cardio room at the Seb Coe Health Centre where there was a fairly reasonable range of equipment (about 10 pieces) which functioned well. The room is quite small and can feel claustrophobic when full. Altogether this is a hotel I would be happy to recommend.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Dear Trip Advisor

Thank you for your recent review of the Mercure Chester Abbots Well on Tripadvisor.com

I was delighted to read that you once again enjoyed your stay with us, please be assured that I will pass your kind comments onto the team, I know that they will all be delighted to read your feedback.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and we look forward to having the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Edinburgh
Reviewed 14 March 2013

My wife and I have just returned from yet another annual visit to the Abbots Well Hotel. The name might have changed a few times over the years (it's now back to what it was when we first visited about 15 years ago!) but everything else remains the same - excellent as ever. Thanks again for looking after us so well. We'll be back.

1 Thank Ian6110
Dear Trip Advisor

I was thrilled that we were able to return to the orginal name of the hotel, it is well known locally at the Abbots Well as in the grounds there used to be a well that fed the Cathedral in the middle ages.

Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 March 2013

Hotel very good, staff helpful and friendly. The location was excellent due to the park & ride being just a few minutes away. The breakfast really good value with excellent choices. Overall we would happily use this hotel again or this particular chain of hotels.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Sunderland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 March 2013

Mix of good and bad ... Could and should definitely do better.
The good:
1. Reception staff friendly at check in.
2. Room clean.
3. gym small but does have kit that works.
4. Room cleaned each day; fresh towels and toiletries.
5. Offer price for 2 days bed and breakfast with evening meal on first night.
The bad:
1. The room could do with a refresh. looks a bit tired, would benefit from redoration, new furniture, fittings and pictures. Bathroom most in need of refresh. Very dated, mirror frame damaged.
2. Evening meal - edible but not great. I am not a big eater, but portions were small for each course. Mushroom risotto rice was mushy, although mushrooms in it tasted good. It was also meant to come with garlic bread, but didn't. Wild berry and drambuie ice cream in filo pastry tasted like it had been deep fried, but there was hardly any ice-cream. Almost all liquid. Definitely not worth the full price. Not really worth the offer price either.
3. Seb Coe gym. First day no towel provided despite reception specifically saying they did this. Second day (Sunday) I requested a towel and got one (but none was offered without a request)... But as I arrived I was told the gym closed around 8. I questioned this, as the sign outside said last entry 8:30 and close at 9, and was then told well start to close 8ish, most people leave by 8:15. Again, I said it says you close at 9. I was told it was closing in next 5 mins at 8:27. Again, I said it says 9 outside. I told person in gym I would be reporting this, and the fact that when I came in he had initially said 8 ... Which he then said he hadn't said. I know what I heard. He said 8 initially. Reported this to reception, where the person there thought it did close at 8! I pointed out that all we had to go on was the sign outside the gym with opening times as no info in room. I said I didn't mind it closing at 8:30 if I knew about it, as I would have come earlier to get my whole gym session in. If you change the opening times, change the sign! Person on reception said info taken out of rooms as it was in the process of being put on the TVs. I would have thought getting it on the TVs and telling customers it was there before removing info from rooms might have been a good plan!
4. No information in rooms re: breakfast times, check out, facilities etc. When we rang reception to ask about this we were told these were no longer available but the information was available on the Internet. Not sure how that was meant to help, as not everyone has internet access. This was before the gym incident and the wifi.
5. Wifi, but you need a code. We assumed it was chargeable as this has been the default for Mercure hotels (standard room) for as long as we have been using them. Again, no-one mentioned anything. We checked TripAdvisor reviews before we booked, but I can now see that very recently the manager has started responding to reviews saying that wifi is availble free. It might be a good idea to get your staff to tell the customers about that! No-one mentioned it to us.
6. TV signal not good.
7. Walls very thin. Can hear people next door and in corridoors to the extent that it disturbs sleep. Next door got up very early and woke us up. People on corridoor can be heard above TV!
8. Breakfast has gone downhill significantly. We have stayed in several Ramada Jarvis / Mercure hotels, but not this one before. Staff again polite and ask if want tea or coffee but no other info whatsoever and if you don't know to ask you don't get. No information on table about this; at other hotels in the group staff have explained and / or there has been information on the table. We are both vegetarian, but no alternative offered, we had to ask. Fruit selection appalling; grapefruit segments, prunes, 2 types of melon (one of which looked very tired on both days). Big dish of natural yoghurt, no flavoured yoghurt (large or individual), cooked breakfast items not replenished just before ran out.
In summary: place could do with a refresh but at least is clean. Staff are generally friendly but do not offer services to customers and customers don't have written information to tell them what is available. This is not good customer service. So, unless you ask for a towel for the gym, veggie alternatives at breakfast, wifi, the parts of your evening meal that don't arrive you don't get them. Most of this information isn't available to the customer so bizzarely you need to know what it is you aren't being told about in order to ask for it!
To make it as good as it should be you need to refurb rooms and corridoors, and tell both staff (so they can tell customers) and customers what services are available. This needs to be available to customers throughout their stay as reference, whether on leaflets, signs or on the TV. All sources of information also need to be consistent.

Room Tip: Ask for one which has been refurbished.
Dear Trip Advisor

Please accept my sincere apologies that we did not exceed your expectations. I have noted your constructive criticism as your feedback is very important to us as we continue in our search for excellence.

I was disappointed to read that you were told that the guest service directory was only available on the internet as it has recently been put onto the interactive televisions. I am assuming that this caused confusion with the team here and I will be relay the change to them once again to help us improve. Wifi is free and the code is advertised at Reception and in the bar, but again I will ensure that the whole team are made aware that it is free and what the code is.

I do hope that you will return to the Mercure Chester Abbots Well Hotel in the near future thus allowing us the opportunity to restore your confidence in us.

Marlow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 March 2013

We arrived at the hotel and received a very warm welcome by reception. As we were on a dinner rate we went straight through to dinner as it was late (9.30pm) Considering the restaurant closes at 10pm the staff did not seem put out and were very helpfull. The food is highly recommended, only thing I would say is maybe have a salad on the menu but otherwise gorgeous. If you have dinner over the weekend I would recommend booking a table early on as the restaurant gets very busy.
Breakfast was also good and set us up for the day, lots of variety and always stocked up.
Room was comfortable, we had a family room and was spacious enough for 3 people.
Chester Zoo is less than 10 minute drive & is definatly worth a visit.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
GMMercureChesterEast, General Manager at Mercure Chester Abbots Well Hotel, responded to this review, 13 March 2013