“Brief Chester visit” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #27 of 45 Hotels in Chester
Newquay, United Kingdom
“Brief Chester visit”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2013

Stayed here for a short trip to Chester. The two staff members on reception on arrival made you feel very welcome and very efficient and informative. Room small and dated but couldnt fault the cleaniness. Quite noisy as three busy roads and a train line close by so dont know if I would stay here again if on a longer visit.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

GMMercureChesterEast, General Manager at Mercure Chester Abbots Well Hotel, responded to this review, 27 March 2013
Dear Trip Advisor

Thank you for your recent review of the Mercure Chester Abbots Well on Tripadvisor.com

Once again, thank you for your feedback and we look forward to having the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

James Lake

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (281)
Southport
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2013

"We arrived in Chester by Train from the station to the Hotel we took a taxi (about 2 miles) and cost £6. On arrival at Reception we had a very warm welcome, a member of the team went to check our room prior to giving us the key. Our room was a studio room 121 a lovey clean twin bedded room as reqested. A good size bathroom clean and well stocked with the normal items, shower gel/shampoo etc. The mini break included dinner on the first night which was excellent very enjoyable. After a good nights sleep we had lovely breakfast with a very good choice of food available. After a short time we decided to have a swim and sauna in the leisure spa included in the package which was also very enjoyable. The 3 days went so quickly and would like come again without doubt. Thank you to all the team making our stay great look forward to our next stay.

Room Tip: Our room was on the ground floor and was very quiet would recommend room 121 if you like a twin bedd...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
GMMercureChesterEast, General Manager at Mercure Chester Abbots Well Hotel, responded to this review, 22 March 2013

Chester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2013

Chef Adam's cooking was exceptional. We were fortunate that Adam come into the restaurant to talk to us, and his enthusiasm for his job was outstanding. The service was top quality thanks to the staff on duty at the time: Yvette Black, Laura Brown, Anthony Woolley.
In addition, we regularly use the spa and can highly recommend it.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Dear Trip Advisor

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and particularly the customer service you received from Adam, Anthony, Yvette and Laura, please be assured that I will pass your kind comments onto them and the remainder of the team, I know that they will all be delighted to read your feedback.

Geneva, Switzerland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2013

There were over 100 of us at dinner at the Abott's Well Mercure Hotel and they coped seamlessly with us. We were not paying very much and the food was as good as could be expected at the price. Our room was clean and comfortable with all the facilities we could expect and the reception staff were polite and welcoming. Perhaps the most impressive staff were the bar staff who were willing to serve drinks until 4 in the morning when the stragglers were still there. The breakfast was outstanding. I would recommend this all as good value for money.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
GMMercureChesterEast, General Manager at Mercure Chester Abbots Well Hotel, responded to this review, 19 March 2013

Chester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2013

It was second time when we had a party in a hotel.Would like to Thank Mr. Goodman for excellent service, everything was so well organised, room was beautifully decorated, food was fantastic, staff was very helpful. Well done, Mr.Goodman!!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Trip Advisor

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and particularly the customer service you received from Phil, please be assured that I will pass your kind comments onto him and the remainder of the team, I know that they will all be delighted to read your feedback.

London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2013

We stayed for a weekend at the Mercure and I can confidently say that our stay was very pleasant. Check in was fast, staff were polite, the hotel bar was perfectly fine and so was the breakfast buffet. Our room was spacious enough for a 2 night stay and the bed very comfy. Overall I would not rate this hotel a 4 star property but more a 3 star. The rooms don't have a wardrobe which is very unusual. There are obvious signs of wear and tear everywhere and in general it lacks the sophistication of a four star, nevertheless a pleasant place to stay.

• Stayed March 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
GMMercureChesterEast, General Manager at Mercure Chester Abbots Well Hotel, responded to this review, 16 March 2013
Dear Trip Advisor

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post your feedback on Tripadvisor following your stay at the Mercure Chester Abbots Well Hotel.

I was pleased to read that you found the hotel to be suitable for you, but disappointed that on this occasion we did not exceed your expectations. I have noted your constructive criticism as your feedback is very important to us as we continue in our search for excellence.

I do hope that you will return to the Mercure Chester Abbots Well Hotel in the near future.

Yours sincerely
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2013

I must admit that it was hard to rate this hotel has I have mix feelings about it.
I gave it 4 out of 5 because the most important thing is the accommodation which looked very nice, modern and comfortable. Everything was cleaned and all the toiletries, towels and coffee/tea tray needed were there.
It is not a central hotel but as we traveled and moved around by car that was not a problem to us at all and the little health club which includes a small swimming pool, a steam room,Turkish bath and a jacuzzi was a plus to us. It was indeed nice after a 4 hours drive to be able to relax there. This health club facilities are not exactly new and the swimming pool could be updated but it is not an urgent or serious matter, not for us anyway.

The staff, in general, is nice and polite but I felt that most of them were speeding up when providing information. Our impression (I traveled with my husband) was that they weren't very keen on spending a bit of time with customers to explain whatever customers might needed.That can be confusing sometimes as people might not understand all the information given and we felt that there was no room for the same questions or doubts. ( I must underline that the hotel was not busy when we stayed there.)
The biggest exception was the staff at the buffet breakfast room. The waiter in service was indeed helpful, nice, polite and all at a normal pace that made us enjoy a relaxing breakfast time. I made a mistake with my coffee and he quickly ordered a new one. Very professional.

We decided to have the buffet breakfast but that was a mistake. Staff in here are very helpful but the food was terrible! Some cereals, some fruits, some bread, butter and jam but no cheese. I appreciate a good continental breakfast so for me it was a bit disappointing. Then you have a n option of coffee, tea and some juice or milk you can add.
There are also a few breakfasts that you can order such as English breakfast or eggs Benedict. We went for the eggs Benedict. It was awful! The eggs were indeed boiled. Too much I would say. The sauce was not appropriate either. Nothing that looked like Dutch sauce.
Considering that we ordered a pizza and a few others snacks and drinks the night before and the pizza was one of the worse we have had in a long time I must say that this is definitely not the place to eat.The lack of presentation of the meal we ordered through room service let us down. Everything was a no when it comes to food.

There is also a bar. We tried the bar but since there was no music, only the telly with news we gave up. The atmosphere was just not right to us. The restaurant where breakfasts also happen is a lovely room, cozy and well decorated.

Once inside the room you have TV, a few (not many) movies you can buy and surfing on the internet will cost you around £4.00. Pretty much everything is an extra... extra for the breakfast, extra for the movies or specific tv channels, extra for wifi.

As I wrote before, mixed feelings... but the essential is all there. It's just a matter of what is more important for you.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple