“Strong in-room Wifi but...”

Mercure Chester Abbots Well Hotel
Ranked #26 of 44 Hotels in Chester
Chicago
“Strong in-room Wifi but...”
Reviewed 13 June 2013

The positives: Free and strong in-room Wifi. Large room. Clean and neat though somewhat tattered and in need of an update. The lobby and restaurant are quite nice. Unfortunately not much else was positive. After flushing the toilet the first time, it ran noisily for several long minutes and I decided that the last thing I should do is flush it when I wanted to go to bed because the loud gurgling would prevent any sleep at all. I was worried that it would run all night. The walls are thin and the floors above squeak loudly. The room was roastingly hot and there was no thermostat to be found - fortunately it was quite cold outside and though I could only open the window a few meager inches, it cooled the room well. I can't imagine what this room would be like if the outside temperature had been higher than 3°. The bed was incredibly hard and lumpy with thick foam pillows that had no give at all. I discovered as I stayed in two more Mercure Hotels on this trip, that this bed is the norm for Mercure which resulted in several nights of uneasy sleep for this traveler. I do not recommend any Mercure Hotels.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
GMMercureChester, General Manager at Mercure Chester Abbots Well Hotel, responded to this review, 18 June 2013
Dear Trip Advisor

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post your feedback on Tripadvisor following your stay at the Mercure Chester Abbots Well Hotel.

Please accept my sincere apologies that we did not exceed your expectations. I have noted your constructive criticism as your feedback is very important to us as we continue in our search for excellence.

I do hope that you will return to the Mercure Chester Abbots Well Hotel in the near future thus allowing us the opportunity to restore your confidence in us.

James Lake

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (292)
DAGENHAM
Reviewed 11 June 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights last weekend. We were on an organised coach trip so were of a party of 18 people. Hotel is obviously a 'business persons' hotel - dark decor, expensive bar and 'functional' rooms. Our twin room - average size, good hot shower and comfortable beds BUT bare minimum of tea/coffee supplies, bad lighting (no bedside lights), Our meals were of limited choice (as expected for tour groups) but we were very surprised when on second night the menu was virtually identical to the first night. Upon complaint by some of our fellow travellers we were promised that the chef would 'try harder' for our third night!! I also made the comment out loud on the first night that I was surprised that the cheese and biscuits dessert did not have a piece of Cheshire cheese as we WERE in Cheshire! That appeared on second night but failed again on third night. We did think that the serving staff in the restaurant were excellent and efficient and seemed to be quick on the uptake at murmured discontent. The hotel had a small patio area out the back on which we enjoyed the evening sun - shame the tables were very dirty. In all this is a good location for Chester (about a mile and a half away) but I would defintely not pay the 'rack rate'.

CS and DW

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
GMMercureChester, General Manager at Mercure Chester Abbots Well Hotel, responded to this review, 12 June 2013
Dear Trip Advisor

I was pleased to read that you found the hotel to be suitable for you, but disappointed that on this occasion we did not exceed your expectations. I have noted your constructive criticism as your feedback is very important to us as we continue in our search for excellence.

I do hope that you will return to the Mercure Chester Abbots Well Hotel in the near future.

Swindon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 June 2013

Our second visit to this hotel and again all staff and food very good, did not realise that one side of the hotel did not have a lift, thankfully a young man came to our rescue and carried our case up the stairs.

A separate quiet lounge would be nice ! ! the bar was so noisy you had no choice but to retire to you room which had only one armchair.

The room was very clean and tidy but could have done with more than one draw !. We were cross when the cleaner put the spare towels back in the draw on top of clothes surely these could have been left in the bathroom neatly folded as I had left them.

We were amazed that when opening the windows how dirty the insides were, this was months of dirt and grime, surely a good window cleaner would make certain these were all washed inside and out.

Being so close to a Park & Ride was great, you didn't have to battle with driving into Chester.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that when you have the windows open on a warm night you can't hear the traffic fr...

Bristol, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 June 2013

this was a beautifull hotel with freindly staff clean and comfortable and a lovely buffet breakfast a quiet hotel with nice grounds .And near the city centre of chester.we had a ground floor room too which was good as we have trouble getting up stairs

Room Tip: if you are not very good climbing stairs there are many ground floor rooms
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
GMMercureChester, General Manager at Mercure Chester Abbots Well Hotel, responded to this review, 10 June 2013
Dear Trip Advisor

Thank you for your recent review of the Mercure Chester Abbots Well on Tripadvisor.com

Once again, thank you for your feedback and we look forward to having the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Why not follow us on twitter @mercurechester or like us on Facebook at ‘Mercure Chester Abbots Well’ for special offers and information.

Yours Sincerely

County Durham
Reviewed 9 June 2013

My Top five:
1. The rooms are vey hot in summer and the windows only open a little because of security.
2. Menu is limited with business users prices and child's portions
3. No sky sports not eeven in the bar
4. Rooms have very little sound insulation
5. Coach parties arrive in the evening and depart very early morning with disturbing consequences.

I could go on but by now you have the message. The staff do try very hard given the constraints they work under.

Room Tip: For a good room go elsewhere
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank CountyDurhamBob
Dear Trip Advisor

Please accept my sincere apologies that we did not exceed your expectations, but pleased to read that you felt the team here tried hard to make your stay as good as they could. I have noted your constructive criticism as your feedback and will pass it onto the owners as this is very important to us as we continue in our search for excellence.

James Lake

Travellers are raving about these Chester hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 June 2013

my partner and I stayed here for one night, we had been given group on vouchers as a present. the room was ok, some peeling wallpaper - could do with redecorating, and it was next to the car park. we could hear the room above's TV but no real noise problems. there was a useful book on chester in the room. didnt need to open the window as it was snowing at the time of our stay...

the reception staff were very helpful and friendly. it felt more like a conference centre than a normal hotel, though it does have a spa. unfortunately we weren't able to use it as I had injured my leg, but it looked impressive on the website.

the restaurant decor was a bit outdated/bland but the food was delicious and the portions were generous. there was a good selection. there was also a bar, but it had the football on so we didn't bother with that.

all in all I would stay there again but would shop around first to see if there was something better for the price.

Room Tip: ask for one away from the car park, there's a field next to the hotel which would make for a bet...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple

keswick
Reviewed 7 June 2013

Stayed 2 nights 4th and 5th June. Lovesum deal, b&b + dinner 1st night + Privilege Room Upgrade Total cost £175.00.

First impressions quite good. Room fairly well equiped but rather well used -time for a makeover? We reported two lights faulty, fixed while we had dinner, but one failed next day, need ing more than a bulb. The bathroom door made a loud screech every time opened/closed. Floors creaked (pity anyone in room below). The impression was that housekeeping and maintenance is not up to scratch. Our espresso coffee machine failed to function but got replaced after a struggle by Sean on reception. The room had no greetings book with typical hotel room info that might have helped these issues to be resolved better. The food was typical hotel chain but not too bad - we could have chosen from alc to £22 pp in lieu of the tdh.

It's the hotel staff just holding this place together, all pleasant and with good humour. Room service was repeatedly slow to answer phone calls and failed to deliver on a shortage of standard tea bags - I suppose really that should have been down to the cleaner not fully servicung the room in the first place.

If you are going into town, we found the park and ride very efficient and cost effective particularly when parked over 2 or 3 hours.

1 Thank 123Horace123