“Red Letter Review”

Ranked #26 of 44 Hotels in Chester
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Red Letter Review”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2013

I would suggest that this hotel is deigned for an overnight stay & not a holiday, since there was only one draw in the room & that contained a second set of towels.
Fortunately my wife & I were only there for the one night. Our son bought us a Red Letter DB&B for a night at a hotel of our choice from a list. This was our choice. The meals were very good but we were told that we could have the table d'hôtel or to the value of £22 from the a la carte, which basically meant 2 courses or pay the extra, which I thought was a bit petty.
One advantage was that we could park the car in the hotel car park, walk about 100 yards & catch a park & ride bus into Chester for £2 each return.
Sleeping was dreadful, as it was a hot night, no air con. & a busy dual carriageway close by.

1 Thank DennisC560
GMMercureChester, General Manager at Mercure Chester Abbots Well Hotel, responded to this review, 25 June 2013
Dear Trip Advisor

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post your feedback on Tripadvisor following your stay at the Mercure Chester Abbots Well Hotel.

I was pleased to read that you found the hotel to be suitable for you, but disappointed that on this occasion we did not exceed your expectations. I have noted your constructive criticism as your feedback is very important to us as we continue in our search for excellence. The dinner allowance however does allow you to take a three course meal from the daily changing table d’hote menu which generally has at least 4 choices for each course or choose the from the a la carte menus which is individually priced.

I do hope that you will return to the Mercure Chester Abbots Well Hotel in the near future.

Yours sincerely
James Lake

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (286)
Surrey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2013

The hotel staff was very helpful and polite in accommodating the wishes, needs and wants of our 15 strong hen party. Particularly helpful was Sean on reception - always a smile and nothing was too much bother. The hotel was very, very busy on the Saturday of our stay with two hen parties (including ours) and a wedding on site. The only issue was at breakfast the next morning when lots of things were 'missing' from the buffet, but not a major issue, we were well fed.

My room was as expected from a Mercure, comfortable, warm, and functional. We were there as a Hen party and the hotel split us up across the entire floor. It would have been better for other hotel guests for us to be bunched together as were were frequently visiting friends, knocking on the other doors of our group and in and out of each other's rooms. We were very worried about disturbing the other guests.

There is no air-conditioning at this hotel. This wasn't a problem for me (I rarely see the need), but if you expect it from your hotel room, be prepared to plug in the fan from the cupboard in your room.

Room Tip: If staying not as a party of guests, ask the hotel to be located away from any groups/parties.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank dht240
Dear Trip Advisor

Thank you for your recent review of the Mercure Chester Abbots Well on Tripadvisor.com

Once again, thank you for your feedback and we look forward to having the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Why not follow us on twitter @mercurechester or like us on Facebook at ‘Mercure Chester Abbots Well’ for special offers and information.

yeovil
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2013

stayed at mercure hotel chester,daily mail offer.could not have been better value,£135
for 2 nights b&b plus one dinner .included.rack rates for all food would have been £72.so for two of us a great deal. Food excellent,staff courteous and helpful.Great indoor pool&gym.We have booked two more trips on this offer Such good value.

Room Tip: No lift so ask for ground floor room

Billingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2013

my wife, and i. stayed only 2 nights,which was a shame,given the close proximity,to chester town centre, and all its attractions.the staff, are acredit to the hotel. also the rooms are comfortable.many thanks for a enjoyable stay. denis and jackie failes.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

1 Thank rosehelen
GMMercureChester, General Manager at Mercure Chester Abbots Well Hotel, responded to this review, 21 June 2013

Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2013

I have stayed at this hotel 3 times now, twice when it was Ramada Jarvis and now once when it has changed hands. I have paid a different price each time I have stayed here, the last time I stayed I paid £50 (midweek) for the night, just for the room, if I wanted breakfast that was an extra £10!! Little bit pricey. I paid for breakfast the first time I went and wouldn't do it again. Especially since the food just isn't that great. (There is an Asda round the corner) Every time I have stayed here, the rooms have been clean and I like how the price of the room includes access to the gym, pool and other facilities, this one of the main reasons why I keep going back. It is an added bonus to be able to relax in the sauna/ Jacuzzi.

The hotel is close to the city centre which is convienient and about 15 minutes from the zoo. (which I love).

Room Tip: There are no good rooms in particular, they all have either views onto a car park or a badly kept co...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple

Sheffield, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2013

Paid £225 for one room, two people, for two nights B&B. No rapport at reception, just robotic questions and directions. Everything in the room was 'sticky', the remote, light switches... everything. Cracked floor tiles in the bathroom and no shower curtain (by design... even though the floor got soaked). Thin hard towels, wafer thin toilet paper and only two tea bags! You have to use your room towel for the swimming pool or pay extra. There was only one small drawer for the whole room and one small open hanging rail, no wardrobe, no bedside cabinets, nothing.

Asked for tea three times at breakfast before we got any. Breakfast staff were friendly and helpful, but just seemed dis-organised. Only one milk available for cereals, no choice, no labels on anything. Fried food was okay.

If we had paid a third of the price, this would have been okay... ish. Everything in the hotel seems geared up to economising, well I do that at home so that I can go to a hotel and enjoy my stay!

Lastly, cigarette stubs littered the entrance and people were smoking by the front entrance. As I'm not a smoker, this is not acceptable to me. We chose Mecure because we wanted something better, we never got it.

Room Tip: Read review first.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
GMMercureChester, General Manager at Mercure Chester Abbots Well Hotel, responded to this review, 18 June 2013
Dear Trip Advisor

Please accept my sincere apologies that we did not exceed your expectations. I have noted your constructive criticism as your feedback is very important to us as we continue in our search for excellence.

I do hope that you will return to the Mercure Chester Abbots Well Hotel in the near future thus allowing us the opportunity to restore your confidence in us.

Yours sincerely
Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2013

Stayed 1 night with daughter to make it easier to get to Chester Zoo.
There was a wedding reception taking place when we stayed.

The hotel is in a great location. Plenty of parking spaces.

The front desk staff were friendly and check-in was swift.
The room on the first floor was clean, well kept and well equipped.
Pull out bed was all set up when we arrived in room, as requested.

Free Wifi is available throughout hotel.

There is a leisure club, although we only used the swimming pool.
Changing facilities were fine.
Pool was ideal for an eager 4 year old to splash around in.
There are 2 pools (1 suitable for smaller kids) and a Jacuzzi.
Do ensure that you wait for a member of staff at the desk if you want a locker.

We had early dinner at the bar. Staff were very good.
The menu is suited to just adults. I didn't see any child menus and wasn't offered any other choices. Despite this, the food arrived quickly and was fine.

Breakfast service was very good. Very polite and friendly staff.
A good variety of food and caters for those who like a hearty breakfast and those who prefer something lighter.

Overall, we enjoyed our stay.

The hotel is suited to business travellers, couples and friends based on the location and facilities.

My only negative feedback is that the hotel did have an opportunity to do more to accommodate kids i.e. kid's food menu or choice of smaller portions, crayons/paper.
If in doubt, please just ask your hotel guests what you can do for them :)

Room Tip: Rooms on the 1st floor may overlook the noisy ventilation system. Rooms on the ground floor are clo...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family