Mercure Chester Abbots Well Hotel
Dene Hotel(Chester)
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Breakfast included
1,654 results
All reviewspark and ridehealth clubleisure facilitiesevening mealbar pricesbreakfast was buffet stylecity centresteam roomcheshire oaksboth nightstea and coffeetwo night stayenjoyable staystayed here for one nightweekend breakyogurtcanal
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 28 June 2013 via mobile

How this hotel has managed to have 4 stars attached to it is an utter mystery. It a is soulless shabby place , the rooms are closet- like and the corridors smell of damp, dirty mops. One or two of the bar staff were nothing short of being just plain rude. They not only offended and patronised our party but treated other customers just as badly. Wine was warm and service very poor. Really, please don't waste your money. There are many proper hotels which are so much cheaper and of better quality. Avoid!

• Stayed: June 2013
5  Thank Patrica582
GMMercureChester, General Manager at Mercure Chester Abbots Well Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2013

Dear Trip Advisor

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post your feedback on Tripadvisor following your stay at the Mercure Chester Abbots Well Hotel.

Please accept my sincere apologies that we did not exceed your expectations. I have noted your constructive criticism as your feedback is very important to us as we continue in our search for excellence. The hotel however has been independently checked against criteria set by all recognised bodies and in our case assessed by the AA and we have awarded four stars.

I do hope that you will return to the Mercure Chester Abbots Well Hotel in the near future thus allowing us the opportunity to restore your confidence in us.

Yours sincerely

Reviewed 28 June 2013 via mobile

Myself and my friend had a lovely time here however we were shocked at the bill for wifi usage when checking out this spoilt our experience. We had planned to re book but after this we have decided to go else where. If we had been made aware of the charge for wifi we would have just used our 3G that comes with our phones

• Stayed: June 2013

Dear Trip Advisor

Thank you for your recent review of the Mercure Chester Abbots Well on Tripadvisor.com

WIFI is free in the hotel up to 256k and there is charge for the super fast wifi of £8 per day but the former is sufficient for anyone working and down loading emails.

Once again, thank you for your feedback, please contact me directly I'd love to be able to welcome you back to the hotel personally next time you stay in Chester.

Reviewed 27 June 2013

Just arrived home from my stay at Mercure Chester Abbots Hotel.
We received a excellent deal which included overnight stay and 3 course meal.
The Spa Treatments by Therapist Nikki were one of the best that i have had and made the experience even better.
* WARNING* WIFI - we received a WIFI code with my key when I checked in - which we enter, every time we accessed the WIFI its asked for our room number and surname - which we provided.
Little did I know, as I was not made aware was that i was being charged for using 'premium WIFI'
this is not clear and the page and I feel the staff should of told us that the WIFI will automatically direct you the premium page first.
I was met at the the check out desk with a £40 for 'premium WIFI' charges which dampened my experience.
This must be a common occurrence as there was people who were behind us and in front of us who had also been charged for 'premium WIFI' also. Be careful !
The floor boards are also very creeky - so watch your step !

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank cheryl m
GMMercureChester, General Manager at Mercure Chester Abbots Well Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 June 2013

Dear Trip Advisor

Once again, thank you for your feedback and we look forward to having the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Why not follow us on twitter @mercurechester or like us on Facebook at ‘Mercure Chester Abbots Well’ for special offers and information.

Reviewed 27 June 2013

I would like to offer my thanks to the staff at the Mercure Chester for the excellent service we received when we visited the hotel for my friends hen weekend. From the moment we (15 of us) arrived we were looked after very well. We received a warm welcome from the Duty Manager, Paul, the barman Matthew but a big thank you must go to Sean on reception. As the organiser of the hen-weekend i was constantly asking Sean for assistance from adjusting meal reservations to booking taxis for us, he always gave service with a smile . THANK YOU SEAN! The hotel itself is a little worn around the edges but if you can see past that you will enjoy your surroundings. The food was lovely, breakfast was plenitful with so many options. The rooms were large enough, i stayed in a triple room with 2 fellow hens and we managed ok. The only thing for me, that stopped me giving a 5 rating, was the fact that there was very limited cocktail choices, surely the management must have known 15 hens would wants to indulge in a few drinks in an evening :-) Thanks again, i would not hesitate to stay here again when I come to see the rest of your beautiful city.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Angieg_7

Dear Trip Advisor

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and particularly the customer service you received from Paul, Matthew and Sean, please be assured that I will pass your kind comments onto them and the remainder of the team, I know that they will all be delighted to read your feedback.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and we look forward to having the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the future and I’ll make sure we address the cocktail issue for you!

Reviewed 24 June 2013

I would suggest that this hotel is deigned for an overnight stay & not a holiday, since there was only one draw in the room & that contained a second set of towels.
Fortunately my wife & I were only there for the one night. Our son bought us a Red Letter DB&B for a night at a hotel of our choice from a list. This was our choice. The meals were very good but we were told that we could have the table d'hôtel or to the value of £22 from the a la carte, which basically meant 2 courses or pay the extra, which I thought was a bit petty.
One advantage was that we could park the car in the hotel car park, walk about 100 yards & catch a park & ride bus into Chester for £2 each return.
Sleeping was dreadful, as it was a hot night, no air con. & a busy dual carriageway close by.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DennisC560
GMMercureChester, General Manager at Mercure Chester Abbots Well Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2013

Dear Trip Advisor

I was pleased to read that you found the hotel to be suitable for you, but disappointed that on this occasion we did not exceed your expectations. I have noted your constructive criticism as your feedback is very important to us as we continue in our search for excellence. The dinner allowance however does allow you to take a three course meal from the daily changing table d’hote menu which generally has at least 4 choices for each course or choose the from the a la carte menus which is individually priced.

I do hope that you will return to the Mercure Chester Abbots Well Hotel in the near future.

Yours sincerely