“Family Break”

Ranked #27 of 44 Hotels in Chester
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Family Break”
Reviewed 5 November 2013

This hotel can only be a 4 star hotel because of the spa/swimming pool attached to it.Take away this and it is a tired looking 3* hotel at best.Stayed here on a groupon deal and because of this it was reasonable value.
Room was clean and tidy albeit a little tired and the bed very comfortable and tea/coffee facilities very sparse.I overheard several other guests during my stay ask for more tea and milk!
The hotel needs some money spending on refitting carpets in the corridors to some of the rooms as some are quite worn and reflect badly on the hotel......but my one piece of advice to the hotel management from someone who works in the customer service industry and understands what excellent service looks like is revisit how your staff interact with your guests(they need to understand that they are on view all of the time and must show interest in the guests and listen to what they are saying.

Room Tip: Be aware the main road is very noisy with the window open
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
GMMercureChester, General Manager at Mercure Chester Abbots Well Hotel, responded to this review, 6 November 2013
Dear Trip Advisor

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post your feedback on Tripadvisor following your stay at the Mercure Chester Abbots Well Hotel.

I was pleased to read that you found the hotel to be suitable for you, but disappointed that on this occasion we did not exceed your expectations. I have noted your constructive criticism as your feedback is very important to us as we continue in our search for excellence.

I do hope that you will return to the Mercure Chester Abbots Well Hotel in the near future.

James Lake

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (297)
Hampshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 November 2013

Food not great at all! . Tried shepherd pie, tasteless. Staff are great , can't do enough for you, rooms are very basic, floors creak as other guests walk past your room making it very difficult to sleep. Would not stay again.

Room Tip: Don't eat here.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Dear Trip Advisor

Please accept my sincere apologies that we did not exceed your expectations. I have noted your constructive criticism as your feedback is very important to us as we continue in our search for excellence.

I do hope that you will return to the Mercure Chester Abbots Well Hotel in the near future thus allowing us the opportunity to restore your confidence in us.

James Lake

Travellers are raving about these Chester hotels

Reviewed 4 November 2013

Modern motel style hotel
2/3 miles outside Chester on a bus route and close to the Shropshire Union canal tow path so you can walk into Chester.
Park and ride also close by.
Room was modest but comfortable. Very little wardrobe space. Tea/coffee in modest quantity as we're toiletries.
Some noise from people walking around in room above.Other guests sleeping near function rooms were disturbed by music.
The pool and Jacuzzi area were good, but the pool isnt suitable for serious lane swimmers.
We didn't get the opportunity to enjoy the garden due to the weather.
We didn't eat any meals in the hotel.
The staff we encountered at the reception and bar were helpful.
Not a bad experience overall, but it's not really my sort of hotel, although reasonable price.
I'd plump for something more traditional in the city centre as I'm not bothered about the fitness area/pool, which is a draw for some visitors.

Room Tip: Away from the function rooms
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
GMMercureChester, General Manager at Mercure Chester Abbots Well Hotel, responded to this review, 5 November 2013

Brigg, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 November 2013

We stayed at the Mercure Chester for an over night city visit and found it friendly and clean. The room was a bit tired but it was very clean and the bed was very comfy. We used the pool and sauna etc which again was clean and friendly but a little tired, but it was nice to relax in the Jacuzzi after a day walking round the city. One great point is the fact that it is on the outskirts of the city therefore very easy to find and the park and ride (£2) is a 3 or 4 minute walk away and it drops you right in the city centre. We ate in the hotel bar in the evening and the food was very nice. I would definitely stay here again. One thing that we commented on was that there was very little information about the hotel ie breakfast times, bar times, check out, etc..so we had to ask staff when we needed to know anything. They were all very helpful but if the information had been in the room we wouldn't have had to bother them.

Room Tip: We were at the back in 215 and the room was nice and quiet
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Trip Advisor

Thank you for your recent review of the Mercure Chester Abbots Well on Tripadvisor.com

Once again, thank you for your feedback and we look forward to having the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Why not follow us on twitter @mercurechester or like us on Facebook at ‘Mercure Chester Abbots Well’ for special offers and information.

Yours Sincerely

cumbria
Reviewed 3 November 2013

This hotel looks the business on arrival but that's about as far as it goes,I stayed here a couple of times over last few months for work but it just isn't upto scratch.just a few things I had to put up with-3or4 young men every evening playing loud music and standing at the fire exit drinking cans of beer whilst smoking-unhelpful or even downright ignorant staff(not all staff)might I say-fire alarm going off early hours had the hotel evacuated standing out in the car park for 40mins-electricity going off-and then to cap it all off was put in room 112 which has to be the noisiest room in the hotel because of where it is situated(directly adjacent to the main stairway and main door to all the rooms,so you get people coming and going all the time with some very little respect of what time it may be !!! I must say one good point to the hotel is the leisure club which the staff were helpful and pool lovely,very enjoyable and that really was the only reason that I went back for a 2nd stay but never a 3rd....

Room Tip: Avoid room 112 at all cost !!!
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 3 November 2013

We stayed in a comfortable twin bed room. However when only finding one bath and hand towel, I called reception and asked for another set. I was informed the second bath and hand towel was in a plastic bag in a drawer in the wardrobe. Be aware this must be common practice so look there if you have a towel shortage problem.
We did notice the hallway floor squeaked quite a lot as people walked up and down them. Many hallway conversations seemed like they were in our room.
Considering there are only stairs and there is no lift access available to the upper floor, people should be aware of the struggle with luggage etc.
Location is well away from Chester township so don't stay here if you wish quick access to shopping and sightseeing.
Breakfast buffet was very good. Couldn't fault it.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends