“Reasonable short stay”

Mercure Chester Abbots Well Hotel
Ranked #29 of 45 Hotels in Chester
Reviewed 9 November 2013

Arrived at the hotel and shown our room, however it was not what I had booked
using Late-rooms I had booked a suit as due to health reasons I maybe up during the night.
Reception said we do not have any suites available, however this was sorted out to our satisfaction.
Due to my health conditions I need to have food that is piping hot therefore the buffet breakfast out of the question until I mention it to the breakfast room staff and was told it would be cooked for me. THANK YOU
We ate in the hotel however I do feel that dining room guests SHOULD NOT have to wear winter woolies, the dining room was Freezing as well as ALL public areas and corridors.
If the Mercure is to pass itself as a 4star hotel MANAGEMENT need to ensure guests comforts are meet.
The actual staff could not do enough HOWEVER I feel senior management are letting the hotel down.
My final statement is that the facade needs bringing into the 21st century and they need to stop advertising Christmas with all the sleighs etc before Bonfire night, ( The years pass quick enough)

Room Tip: Ask where the quiet rooms are
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
GMMercureChester, General Manager at Mercure Chester Abbots Well Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 November 2013

Dear Trip Advisor

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post your feedback on Tripadvisor following your stay at the Mercure Chester Abbots Well Hotel.

I was pleased to read that you found the hotel to be suitable for you, but disappointed that on this occasion we did not exceed your expectations. I have noted your constructive criticism as your feedback is very important to us as we continue in our search for excellence.

I do hope that you will return to the Mercure Chester Abbots Well Hotel in the near future.

James Lake

Write a ReviewReviews (1,576)

Reviewed 9 November 2013

After looking at the photos on their website i had high hopes of a fabulous luxury trip away. instead in reality we stayed in a tiny drab dirty room in a budget hotel trying to pass for a quality premium hotel.

the room was small dirty with a view of a skip.

the spa was old and tired.

the bar area is not very relaxing.

i tried to ring down to reception but no answer so had to go down in person,

breakfast was nice although not worth £10 each. the pastries were stale/overbaked.

if you are going to spend £100 on a room take my advice and go to the hilton,

the bed however was very comfortable

towels are provided in a plastic bag (not at all profesional) if you do use the spa you have to use the towels from your room which means you have to use damp dirty towels that evening for your shower.

when we arrived and made our way to the room the hall ways were full of dirty plates/glasses, leaves and abandoned maids trollies.

from about 7.30/8am we were woken by a blaring radio coming from the laundry/linnen room so we decided to go for breakfast dodging the trollies left in the middle of the hall ways.

would i return to this hotel??? most definately not.

Room Tip: try room 140. Has a lovely view of a skip!!!
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ladyvikii

Dear Trip Advisor

Please accept my sincere apologies that we did not exceed your expectations. I have noted your constructive criticism as your feedback is very important to us as we continue in our search for excellence. We do have a minority of our bedrooms which are smaller than the vast majority and we generally use these for single guests staying for one evening.

I do hope that you will return to the Mercure Chester Abbots Well Hotel in the near future thus allowing us the opportunity to restore your confidence in us.

Reviewed 7 November 2013

Having stayed here a couple of years ago, we returned again as we had an enjoyable stay the last time. This time we were very disappointed, the hotel was looking tired , as with all the Mercure hotels we have stayed at. The room we were allocated was tiny, which would have been ok for single occupancy, but not for 2 people, we sked to be moved but were told the hotel was full, the room was not very clean, cotton bud in the bin on arrival, another under the dressing table which was still there on leaving,. The food was ok, staff were very friendly and efficient. Would not recommend

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 7 November 2013

Good location for getting into Chester as you can walk to the Park and Ride next door. A really enjoyable weekend. Breakfasts set us up for the day and the evening meals in the Restaurant were enjoyed in a relaxed environment.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
GMMercureChester, General Manager at Mercure Chester Abbots Well Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 November 2013

Dear Trip Advisor

Thank you for your recent review of the Mercure Chester Abbots Well on Tripadvisor.com

Once again, thank you for your feedback and we look forward to having the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Why not follow us on twitter @mercurechester or like us on Facebook at ‘Mercure Chester Abbots Well’ for special offers and information.

Yours Sincerely

Reviewed 5 November 2013

This hotel can only be a 4 star hotel because of the spa/swimming pool attached to it.Take away this and it is a tired looking 3* hotel at best.Stayed here on a groupon deal and because of this it was reasonable value.
Room was clean and tidy albeit a little tired and the bed very comfortable and tea/coffee facilities very sparse.I overheard several other guests during my stay ask for more tea and milk!
The hotel needs some money spending on refitting carpets in the corridors to some of the rooms as some are quite worn and reflect badly on the hotel......but my one piece of advice to the hotel management from someone who works in the customer service industry and understands what excellent service looks like is revisit how your staff interact with your guests(they need to understand that they are on view all of the time and must show interest in the guests and listen to what they are saying.

Room Tip: Be aware the main road is very noisy with the window open
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
GMMercureChester, General Manager at Mercure Chester Abbots Well Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 November 2013

Reviewed 5 November 2013

Food not great at all! . Tried shepherd pie, tasteless. Staff are great , can't do enough for you, rooms are very basic, floors creak as other guests walk past your room making it very difficult to sleep. Would not stay again.

Room Tip: Don't eat here.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business