“Quiet location”

Mercure Chester Abbots Well Hotel
Ranked #27 of 44 Hotels in Chester

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (296)
Wirral, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 December 2013

My boyfriends parents bought me the spa day with lunch package for my birthday present and we went along on the 30th November with her best friend and mine. The spa receptionist was very nice and took our order at 11:30 for our lunch at 1pm. The spa facilities were nice; a swimming pool, jacuzzi, steam room and sauna. The meal order was simple. We were escorted to the eating area at 1pm as planned and this is where it went wrong. The starters were as ordered (although we waited over half am hour to come and weren't offered a drink) but three of the four mains (all burgers) came out wrong. We sent these back and we were then asked FIVE separate times to confirm our order again. Staff were unhelpful even though we were very polite and we ended up waiting a further 40 minutes for our food. I wouldn't recommend this spa day to anyone and would definitely think twice about staying here due to the staff and size of the rooms (we saw inside a few as they were being cleaned as we walked through to the spa).

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank scambrook
GMMercureChester, General Manager at Mercure Chester Abbots Well Hotel, responded to this review, 3 December 2013
Dear Trip Advisor

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post your feedback on Tripadvisor following your stay at the Mercure Chester Abbots Well Hotel.

I do hope that you will return to the Mercure Chester Abbots Well Hotel in the near future thus allowing us the opportunity to restore your confidence in us.

Johannesburg
Reviewed 1 December 2013

My sister and I stayed here in November and were horrified! It is certainly not a 4* establishment as advertised. Our room - 147 - was filthy. The walls were damp and dirty, the carpet was in need of a good vacuum, the bathroom was foul. The curtains were in dire need of a good wash too. My brother-in-law also stayed for one night only - and also complained. The carpets in the corridor were held together with black sticky tape. The walls were paper thin and you could hear other guests through the walls. We had 1 towel between the two of us. No tea or coffee provided.....4*??? No way. We were supposed to stay for 2 nights. Needless to say, we left early the next morning pronto! We will most certainly not be back. A HUGE DISAPPOINTMENT!

Room Tip: Just stay away from this hotel.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Peridot022

James Lake

Travellers are raving about these Chester hotels

Helsby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 November 2013

myself and friends had a wounderfull evening at a dinner party at this hotal the food was great but the servic was excelente we had three tables of ten people and i must talk for all of us the food was served geat but the care and attentention was outstanding the lady in charge was suzanne she was so attententive and looked after us very well even having a great laugh with us my husband was so flirty with her but she just took it as a laugh i do hope to come back for a charity dinner there again soon so thankyou for the service suzanne is a great asset to your company.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Trip Advisor

Thank you for your recent review of the Mercure Chester Abbots Well on Tripadvisor.com

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and particularly the customer service you received from Suzanne, please be assured that I will pass your kind comments onto her and the remainder of the team, I know that they will all be delighted to read your feedback.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and we look forward to having the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Why not follow us on twitter @mercurechester or like us on Facebook at ‘Mercure Chester Abbots Well’ for special offers and information.

Yours Sincerely

Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 November 2013

There was only one receptionist at the desk when we arrived at 5.30pm and she was trying to sort out checking in guests, keys, laundry and the Royal Mail delivery and collection. The first room we were given was tiny, basic and the bathroom was cupboard sized. This warranted a maximum of a 2 star rating. After complaining we were given another room that was certainly an improvement but the bathroom amenities were totally inadequate, with no bath mat and the shower gel was insufficent for 2 people.
The bar service was poor, with only one person covering both bar guests and room service, and our simple food order was incorrectly delivered. Bar prices were very high and the quality of drinks mediocre.
On retiring to our room we discovered that the fire doors in the corridior were adjacent and every time someone went through the doors the headboard shook.
A request for a newspaper appeared to be such a complex demand that it couldn't be delivered as they forgot which room the request came from.
All in all a very poor experience and one not to be repeated.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AngieG807
Dear Trip Advisor

Please accept my sincere apologies that we did not exceed your expectations. I have noted your constructive criticism as your feedback is very important to us as we continue in our search for excellence. The hotel however has been independently checked against criteria set by all recognised bodies and in our case assessed by the AA and we have awarded four stars.

Coventry
Reviewed 24 November 2013

Stayed here for a couple of nights for a Christmas shopping weekend. The hotel is very close to the Cheshire Oaks Designer Outlet and a shirt drive from Chester city centre which is also great for Christmas shopping.

The room we had was definitely small but very clean. The bed wasn't the most comfortable and the bathroom being small as well, it was a bit of a shuffle getting in and out of the shower. However for the very good value price we paid for a couple of nights including one dinner and both breakfasts, I was happy. The breakfasts by the way were excellent - lots of choice and replenished quickly whenever close to running out or on request. Bar area is right by reception and comfortable for a drink with a large screen tv. Didn't use the spa area so can't comment on that.

Staff are the hotel are excellent and I think this was what makes the difference - very friendly and helpful staff in the restaurant and on reception. They made me feel very welcome and as if nothing would be too much trouble if you asked. This was proved right when I got home and discovered I had left my toiletries bag in the room. After a couple of phone calls to check it had been found, it arrived beautifully wrapped through the post.

So thank you to the excellent staff at the Mercure. I think the hotel could do with a bit of investment in new showers and beds - hope this happens as the staff are deserving of it

Room Tip: You can pay a bit more for a superior room. Have done this before in other Mercures. Some of the roo...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
GMMercureChester, General Manager at Mercure Chester Abbots Well Hotel, responded to this review, 26 November 2013

Yours Sincerely