“Lovely weekend in Chester”

Mercure Chester Abbots Well Hotel
Ranked #29 of 45 Hotels in Chester
Reviewed 7 May 2014

My husband booked this hotel through Laterooms.com and we were not disappointed, we had never been to Chester before so decided to have a night there as treat, we had a family room as we were with our 9 year old Daughter, the room was clean very spacious with a full size single bed for our Daughter and a massive kingsize for us, the bathroom was also very clean with everything you could need for an overnight with shower gels, shampoo etc, there is also an iron and full size ironing board should you need it and a hairdryer.

The staff on checking in were very helpful and cheerful and it was explained to us about the wifi, restaurant and leisure facilities etc. just a note though be careful when you are signing into the wifi as there is free wifi but also a superfast wifi which is chargeable and when signing in its seems to default you to this one and you have to uncheck it to get the free one!

The leisure facilities were also very good, with a pool, hot tub, steam room and a sauna, there is also a gym but I didnt get around to using this, when I first entered the pool I thought I had stumbled into a swingers club as the only other people in there were two couples who were both engaged in a very 'romantic clinch' I thought 'get a room' but then remembered we were in a hotel they had a room!! But anyway it soon sorted them out when my 9 year old joined me in the pool and started splashing around them, oh I bet they just loved our company lol!!

I cannot comment on the food here as we decided to take a 2 min walk out of the hotel to a Harvester restaurant where we got a main meal, unlimited salad, an ice cream sundae and unlimited soft drink for £9.99, I upgraded my drink to a glass of wine for an extra £1 (this unfortunately was not unlimited though) the food was very good and excellent value., if you cross the road and turn right as you come out of the hotel the Harvester is about a 2 min walk.

This hotel is not in the centre of Chester but not too far, you can walk into the city if the weather is nice along the canal or if you turn left out of the hotel around a 3 min walk away is a park and ride where you can catch a bus for £2 return for adults and free for kids, the buses are every 15 min or so but make sure you have the correct change for tickets as it is a machine and there is no attendant.

All in all a very nice hotel, helpful staff and good size clean rooms, we fell in love with Chester and will definately return sometime and would also look at staying here again if the price was right!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank clucky-7
GMMercureChester, General Manager at Mercure Chester Abbots Well Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2014

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your kind feedback regarding your recent stay at the hotel; we do hope to welcome you back again sometime soon.

Chris Hull

Write a ReviewReviews (1,621)

Reviewed 4 May 2014

We all had a wonderful time staying two nights at this very friendly hotel for a wedding reception. Made full use of the spa facilities, enjoying the lovely pool and Jacuzzi. We asked for a change of room and were swiftly provided with a more spacious room with a better view. The staff could not do enough for us and were invariably cheerful and friendly. Special mention must be made of Dominic who looked after us all so brilliantly, also Paul and Suzanne. The food was beautifully prepared and presented, also breakfasts were quickly replenished and service was always very attentive.

A good location for exploring Chester.

Thank you so much, it was a wonderful weekend.

Room Tip: Ask for room overlooking garden
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank lcg98Powys
GMMercureChester, General Manager at Mercure Chester Abbots Well Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 May 2014

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your kind comments regarding your recent wedding reception at the Hotel, It gives me great pleasure that you have highlighted individuals for their excellent customer service; it is something that we pride ourselves on.

Reviewed 1 May 2014

Great location. 3 local pubs/restaurants within walking distance. Staff very friendly and really enjoyed the leisure facilities.excellent breakfast.The only negatives were the floor in our room was so creaky. Every floor board made a noisy when we walked. I did joke to my husband that we would probably wake up in the room below if the floor gave way. Wasn't too bothered as we weren't in room much but did jump out of my skin from the noise when my husband went loo at 2am. The other thing was only 1 tea bag. I asked for more (3 times ) and more finally arrived at our room at 11pm. I did mention the floor when we checked out in the hope it gets some attention. So avoid room 203. Overall the hotel is in a great location with friendly staff but does need a little bit of maintenance.

Room Tip: Avoid room 203 really noisy floor.

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your feedback regarding your recent stay at the Hotel; we do hope to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 1 May 2014

we had a great time at your hotel the rooms are very warm and clean the service from all the staff was wounderfull the food very well presented the breakfast is the best it has everthing that we wanted even when we asked for extras it was no trouble at all but i must say we were very suprised that there was only one person looking after so many guest the mature lady was rushing around making sure everyone was looked after she did an exceptional job considering she was the only member of staff on duty so well done suzanne good job done .

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your kind comments regarding your recent stay at the Hotel; we do hope to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 27 April 2014

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Reviewed 24 April 2014

My partner and I work a lot and we both work very hard (I am sure most of you reading this will be the same) we rarely get time together and since he started his new job which will run night shifts etc, we took the opportunity to go away at Easter while we both had the bank holiday off work.

We booked the hotel and it wasn't as cheap as others in the area with the same leisure facilities. we were very excited to be visiting the zoo (not far from the hotel) and Cheshire Oaks (15 min drive down the motorway).

When we arrived we were checked in to a 'Double' Room 2 nights on room only coming to £150 (we could have gone to the Holiday inn for £100) we walked through a very dark smelly corridor and we got to our room. It was tiny, not much bigger than the average prison cell. The window was tiny (maybe a foot and a half high by two and a half foot wide) and it was awful. Our 'Double' bed was actually 4ft (a double is 4'6") the bathroom, you could have showered while sitting on the toilet and brushing your teeth at the washbasin all at once. It had a horrible smell of urine and cleaning fluid all rolled in to one (the public loo smell) and there was not one inch of floor that didnt squeak.

I proceeded to sit and cry with my head in my hands. I am not the diva sort of girl, I know my partner would be unhappy and it would affect our weekend in such a way, it would be ruined. This trip from where we live was expensive enough, hotel, fuel, trips out, meals... we were on a tight budget! however I decided I would see about an upgrade as there was no point in spending money on trips out if we were going to have this shadow over us. I could have asked to move rooms, but I am sure the next prison cell would have been the same.

We went downstairs and the girl at the desk was lovely. She agreed to let us see another room but all they had left was a twin. How romantic!! Yes we could push the beds together but there would be a gap and the beds would shift. great news. As it happens it was on the ground floor and a bigger, lighter room and the bathroom was a bit bigger and didnt smell. There was no lino to be seen and being ground floor, no squeaks to be had. It didnt smell so we took the swap.

The room cleanliness was fine on the bedding front, but the bathroom is rarely tickled with a mop. The toilet had a horrible rim around it *shudder*

We were woken each night with people arguing or walking and talking loudly up the hallways so the walls are thin. You can also hear the people who are there on a romantic break in the rooms as you walk through the hotel. Not cool.

My advice to people is do not book a prison cell. The room we were swapped to was still only average and not Mecure's usual standard at all! (I am part of the Accor Hotels loyalty scheme so stay with them often). The leisure facilities were really nice (especially if you have kids) there is a Harvester Grill about 80m up the road (past the flyover) by the canal and it will do you better in the value for an evening meal in comparison to the hotel. It cost me £11 for 2 drinks at the hotel and one of those was a pint of cider.

Room Tip: never get the standard room unless you are a single person.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
GMMercureChester, General Manager at Mercure Chester Abbots Well Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2014

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your constructive feedback regarding your stay. I must apologise that we did not meet your expectations.

Reviewed 23 April 2014

we stayed at your hotel i must say we had alovely time all the staff were so welcoming and friendly but one stood out from the rest suzanne we think she has great customer skills and the service was the best we have ever seen nothink was to much trouble for her not just with us but we witnessed the attention she gave to other guest even when she busy she had time to chat and advise people where to go and make the best of there time in chester she has such an aray of places to go and things to do we took her advice and had a few wounderfull days out she advised people with children about a farm to go to and chester zoo explaing every think about it we asked the people if the took her advice and they said they were realy happy she spoke to them i feel you are lucky to have such a profestional member of staff well done

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your fantastic feedback regarding your recent stay at the hotel. It really is great that you have highlighted Suzanne individually as a superb member of the team.