7 people are viewing this hotel
Hotels.comUS$76
PricelineUS$76
Trip.comUS$76
2,246 results
All reviews park and ride health club leisure facilities evening meal steam room city centre cheshire oaks both nights stayed here for one night two night stay weekend break zoo canal
Selected filters
Reviewed 3 May 2016

It was a pleasure to stay in this hotel. Service was good and staff were very friendly. When we arrived we were seen to straight away and although the lady was in training she was friendly and very accommodating.

• Trip type: Travelled with family
GMMercureChester, General Manager at Mercure Chester Abbots Well Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 May 2016

Dear Guest,

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the Mercure Chester Abbots Well Hotel.

Reviewed 3 May 2016

Stayed one night to Bank Holiday Monday. On arrival, there was the most awful farm muck-spreading smell outside, absolutely nothing the hotel can do about this, but it meant we couldn't open the windows in our room which meant it was very very stuffy. Thankfully there was a fan in our room, so we left that on all night. The fire alarm went off in the night, leaving my daughter petrified and nervous and unable to get back to sleep .... again .... one of those things. Reception staff were only OK. There were 2 of them there when we arrived. Neither of them greeted us. One started taking our details, then said to the other receptionist that she had to do something so would she take over to which she frowned and then took our details. She was pleasant afterwards though to be fair. We swam in the pool on both days and the Jacuzzi is gorgeous. The pool and the Jacuzzi hot and everywhere nice and clean. The outlook of the gardens from the pool is lovely. We had our evening meal in the bar area - delicious - no complaints. I agree with someone else's comments on here, Aaron in the bar area was brilliant, very attentive and very busy, whilst the Manager seemed to apparently 'lord it around' with a sour looking face - a friendly smile at his paying guests doesn't cost a penny. The breakfast is AMAZING !!! Best breakfast I've had in any hotel. Again, as others have commented, you can hear everything from everyone else's rooms, and the bathroom very small, but everywhere clean and tidy. Will stay again if only for the Jacuzzi and the breakfast.

• Trip type: Travelled with family

Reviewed 2 May 2016

Stayed here for two nights at the end of April/ beginning of May. Chose this hotel as we had previously stayed in the Mercure in York which we thought was excellent. First impressions were not good. From the outside, the hotel looks like an old fashioned American motel or a load of portacabins joined together. The reception area is better and the staff were friendly. The first room we were allocated had a bad drains smell in the bathroom. When we opened the window to air the room, the traffic noise from a nearby flyover was terrible. We complained and were given a room in the same corridor but on the opposite side. The window looked out onto an enclosed courtyard and it was much quieter. The room was clean and the bed was very comfortable. There was no wardrobe, just a small metal bar with hooks for hanging your clothes on. This room was very warm and stuffy even with no heating on so we had to leave the window open. The dining room was pleasant but although there was plenty of choice for breakfast, the food was only luke warm. Even the fresh trays brought out by the chef were not very hot. Overall, I would rate the hotel as average. The location is ok with the city centre only a short drive or bus journey away. Is is just lacking in character, it is functional, a place to sleep and that's about it.

Room tip: Ask for a room not facing the main road
Date of stay: April 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Mercure Chester Abbots Well Hotel. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

Reviewed 2 May 2016 via mobile

The hotel is in a great location. Easy to find & not too far out of Chester. Upon check in, the reception staff were pleasant & informative, which is to be expected from a Mercure Hotel. As the weather was not great, we had a snack in the Bar, which was all fine. There were quite a few people milling about, & the bar area seemed slightly understaffed. I did notice the Hotel Manager, I think, who just seemed to walk about, looking down on guests. I let this ride.
We used the leisure facilities, which were great. Very well maintained.
As the location is slightly out of Chester, we walked to the Cheshire Cat. A pleasant walk by the canal, & a great restaurant. My top tip.
The room was adequate enough, but the walls & ceiling are made of paper, so be aware that you will hear everything. I think we had elephants above us for two nights. When in the bathroom, you could clearly hear the people next door.
The breakfast is really good. A great choice for all tastes.
We also had food again one evening in the bar, as the restaurant was full. No complaints on the food, but the service was poor.
My main note was that it seemed the young man, who I think was named Aaron, was always on the move from bar, to cleaning tables, & serving food, while the Manager & other members seemed to mill about. Again, the Manager always looked sullen & like everyone was beneath him. I have never experienced a Hotel Manager like this in my life of travelling. Trying not to focus on the manager, as the rest of the staff from cleaning ladies, to restaurant, to reception, we're all very polite.
It would be 50/50 on me staying here again.

Trip type: Travelled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay in the hotel.
This will be discussed as a management team as we always strive to improve our service and delivery.
If you look at previous reviews for the hotel to receive negative feedback is a very rare occurrence and we pride ourselves on our customer service.
I do hope you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back and I am sure you will have a positive experience.

Reviewed 2 May 2016

Dark and dingy. resembles staying in a community centre.The exterior of the building looks as if the rooms are portacabins. The room had a " feet/wet dog odour" which didn't really disappear despite opening the windows for the duration of the stay.We were given one bath towel to share between two.We dined in the restaurant for our evening meal and despite it being virtually empty the staff felt the need to seat everyone in one small area so that there was very little privacy at the table.Over priced menu,our steak was poor quality and the chips were inedible.The staff are the only redeeming factor in this hotel- helpful and attentive

Room tip: don't bother going there
Date of stay: March 2016