“Mid-afternoon meal - very good”
Review of The Grosvenor Arms

The Grosvenor Arms
Ranked #61 of 564 Restaurants in Chester
Cuisines: European
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 15 August 2014

We have driven past the Grosvenor Arms several times and once called in for coffee. This time we decided to try dining in mid-afternoon. We sat outside in part sunshine, part cloudy weather. There were a few people braving the wind outside, but a lot inside, many dining.

We liked the general Brunning and Price décor inside the pub, and the varied areas outside, which must greatly increase the numbers of "covers". There are substantial tables in a paved area, with a covered section which would be useful in rain, and a large and pleasant garden with many picnic-style tables. We ate at one of the outside tables in the paved area; a very pleasant and relaxing environment.

Service was prompt and the staff very friendly. Tea was good, in a nice teapot, and a proper cafetiere of coffee. I had haddock and chips, very well cooked, and my partner vegetarian lasagne, which she said was excellent. A good range of puddings, and we shared the sticky toffee pudding.

This is posh rural Cheshire, in our perception, in a very pleasant estate village, which is worth walking around. Prices are quite high, but for good food and service.

1  Thank waterspirit
There are newer reviews for The Grosvenor Arms

Reviewed 14 August 2014

Not been too well recently and amongst other things it's affected my taste buds, both in terms of what things taste like and in terms of poor appetite because some things don't taste good any more, or just have no flavour at all.
However my meal here cut through those problems and I thoroughly enjoyed both courses. Started with the soup of the day with slice of artisan brown and white breads, followed by a delicious and beautifully cooked lamb shoulder. The meat was so tender that it literally fell off the bone as I lifted it to cut it away. Not a small portion either! Accompanied by root veg and potatoes. Heaven on a plate.
In my current state this was the best meal I've had in a long time and I pretty much finished it all off much to my wife's surprise. She had the roast beetroot starter followed by an unusual, but very tasty baked basil polenta with salad Oh yes and a good draught cider available as dry or sweet to wash it all down.
Beware, we'll be back.
Oh yes, note a new menu is provided each day and the choices are extensive. Starters, mains, light bites, sandwiches and desserts / named local cheeses.

Reviewed 12 August 2014

Visited the Grosvenor Arms on a recommendation, arrived early and seated immediately by friendly staff. Disappointed not to find the recommended dish on the menu and mostly replaced by roast's - but then it was Sunday. Drinks order taken immediately and food order shortly after.

As a couple we usually share a starter and the pate was amazing, very tasty, the mains were plentiful and piping hot, good standard, but have to say, nothing which made me think I will have to return, not exactly on our doorstep being over 10 miles from home.

That said, it is a lovely homely pub, and lively even on a Sunday afternoon with lots of families in.

Reviewed 10 August 2014

Well here again just had Sunday lunch every thing excellent two courses for £60-00 with drinks. This venue must be the best place in the Chester area for dining out, any body who says different does not know what they are talking about. The place the surroundings, the staff, the quality of food in my opinion is 5* star with a capital S. Congratulations to everybody concerned in running the place. The variety on the menu is fantastic compliments to the chef's and long may it continue.

Reviewed 10 August 2014

We can not fault the food and had a lovely meal here on a Saturday evening. The staff were all very friendly and both the setting and the actual building were lovely. But whilst the staff appeared attentive it seemed we were forgotten. Admittedly it was a busy Saturday night but whilst tables around us were offered more drinks and desserts etc there was none of this for us! This was not through a lack of trying on our part to gain the attention of a member of staff. In addition when others had their bill delivered to the table we had to go to the bar for ours. This should not deter you from visiting as the food was delicious with a good menu range. It is more something to bear in mind.