“Slightly disappointing lunchtime meal out.....”
Review of Watergates Bar

Watergates Bar
Ranked #203 of 562 Restaurants in Chester
Cuisines: British, Pub
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
UK
“Slightly disappointing lunchtime meal out.....”
Reviewed 15 April 2014 via mobile

We have been to Watergates many times in theorist for lunch on Saturdays when out shopping. We popped in there last Saturday and sat under the arches. I see the brewery or pub chain has changed as has the decor.

There were a mix of people including students, a stag do, two couples who were tourists and a local couple sat around us on various tables. I ordered a fish finger sandwich - this arrived and when I cut through the fish fingers they were grey in the middle - suggesting cheap cuts of fish to make them. My husband had a chicken burger and was also disappointed. Whilst it was typical pub grub, it lacked quality. I wanted to complain but there was nobody free at the bar as we were leaving, and we were limited in terms of parking time and had to get back to the car.

Considering the lack of staff serving we were brought our meals quite quickly. The place has more atmosphere in the evenings but lacked something in the day.

All in all quite disappointing as the standard of food has deteriorated. Don't think we will be going for lunch there again any time soon. However maybe we were unlucky and you will have a better experience.

• Visited April 2014

United Kingdom
“Improved, but can't compete with the best”
Reviewed 15 April 2014

Recently visited after refusing to frequent Watergate's for many years. The beer selection has improved, but the place is still dirty (especially the toilets) - I certainly wouldn't eat there. I'm in no rush to head back (perhaps other than for the roof terrace).

• Visited February 2014
Astley, United Kingdom
“Excellent atmosphere, great beer selection”
Reviewed 2 March 2014

I love this place. On a night out to Chester we ended up here and decided to stop 'crawling' and simply stay where we were. The arched celings and feeling of antiquity is contrasted with the mondernity of the bar and its appliances etc. The beer selection is excellent - Local Brewery 'Tatton Park Brewery' in Cheshire is available on pump here, and its absolutely superb. Later in the evening, the lights are turned down and the music goes up, but actually thats pretty cool too. Definitely I would return here for a night if I ever return to Chester

• Visited February 2014
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“ok for one drink...”
Reviewed 25 February 2014

Called in for a drink...very popular bar...busy but noisy..ok for one drink...toilets were very smelly!!

Visited February 2014
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Always been a great pub”
Reviewed 26 January 2014

Ive been going to this pub for around 25 years! It is located in a vault which was built in 1180 situated in Chester city centre. I visited during a pub crawl at Christmas, having not been for a number of years I was pleasantly surprised at the current layout, it embraced the unique arched architecture and was re-furnished sympathetically. Unfortunately they didn't sell real ale and food seemed to be inexpensive mediocre pub food. This is very popular of an evening, especially of a weekend as a drinking establishment. The ambients and history of the bar, plus the status of a haunted building makes it a must, regardless of who runs it or how it's run.

• Visited December 2013