“Basically a Boozer”

Ranked #82 of 569 Restaurants in Chester
Price range: US$7 - US$20
Good for: Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Traditional pub in the lovely Chester suburb of Hoole. Serving traditional home cooked food with a wide selection of beers, local and from a far. Extensive wine list. Showing all Sky Sports games in Hd. Family friendly. Lunch time menu. Fab Sunday lunch. Bookings taken but not essential. Open from 12-11pm Sun-Thur and 12-12pm Fri-Sat
Reviewed 6 August 2014

We called late afternoon on a Sunday to find dirty tables and the waitress sat having her lunch right in the middle of the pub. We went up to the ' eating area ' and all of the tables were dirty , basically the plates had been removed but the tables had not been wiped . I appreciate that they may have had a busy lunch time but surely cleaning the table after clearing them should be standard practice. On the whole it was not very welcoming , although I must say the lady behind the bar and the waitress were very pleasant and friendly.
The food was not that bad , not brilliant though and for £8.95 for the roast dinner I would have expected less fat on my lamb, this said it was on the whole quite tasty and at least the Yorkshire puddings were home made, perhaps if it had been presented on a larger plate it would have been more enjoyable rather than squashed onto a small plate.
I don't think I will be returning in a hurry but if I were to give a tip.... If you want to serve food at least try and make it look inviting by setting the raised area up with place mats , cutlery and wine glasses. You never get a 2nd chance to make a 1st impression and my 1st impression was not good. Sorry.!!

Reviewed 3 August 2014

I've lived in Chester for years but had only ever to the Piper once when it was under previous ownership. I didn't like the place. It felt "chainy". Having recently moved to Pipers Ash, the Piper became my local pub. I must admit that on my first visit I wasn't particularly hopeful. Under the new ownership (they've been there for about a year) the pub has changed dramatically. It's a big pub but it still has that "local" feeling. There are always 4 real ales on the pump and the drinks selection is very good. The food too is brilliant. The menu ranges from gourmet burgers to fish pie. Steaks to gnocchi. There is always something that I fancy. The prices are reasonable too. The best thinks about the Piper though is the staff. Always friendly and welcoming. We recommend the Piper highly.

Reviewed 23 July 2014

We stayed at the Hilton for a wedding for a few nights and didn't want to pay "Hilton" prices for food and drink. We googled near by pubs and luckily this pub came up. It was a 5 minute walk from the Hilton. Lovely atmosphere, good food which was very reasonably priced and great service. The "hogfather" burger was particulary tasty. Good drinks too. Would highly recommend.

2  Thank Gemma O
Reviewed 20 June 2014

Fish and chips was really tasty also it was really hot which I like. Would like to try the Sunday lunch maybe next time

2  Thank janice77Liverpool
Reviewed 15 June 2014

Visited the piper with lots of family for a meal night before our wedding the food was very good everyone enjoyed their various meals an the staff were very helpful and accommodating with the children's meals definitely be visiting again when in the area.

2  Thank Matty895