1,899 results
All reviewsnelsons barspiral staircaseciro's brasseriejapanese gardensunday carveryexecutive roomlovely hotelwedding venueafternoon teasteam room and saunawedding guestsmy partnerleisure facilitieswedding receptionfrom start to finishreception arearelaxing break
Reviewed 24 January 2013

I stayed here with 2 friends using a Living Social Voucher, which included an executive room, breakfast and a concession in the spa.

When we arrived check in was efficient and very friendly. We had lunch in Nelsons Bar which was cosy and comfortable. Food was good and value for money.

The rooms were warm, clean and ours (a twin on the ground floor) looked like it had been recently refurbished. The toiletries in the bathroom were in abundance and good quality. Complimentary tea, coffee and biscuits were also supplied in the room.

We spent the afternoon in the spa (it is lovely, clearly having been refurbished recently), having each booked 2 treatments each. The treatments were great and we all enjoyed them. The hotel kindly agreed to provide us with robes free of charge although it was not part of the deal. However, as another reviewer has mentioned, despite spending over £100 each on treatments, we were not allowed access to the special steam rooms etc which were reserved for day spa guests (even though we had each spent more than a spa day would have cost!). We were allowed into the pool area, which was nice but the pool freezing cold and the steam room and sauna there nowehere near as nice as those in the spa area. This was disappointing.

We ate in Nelsons Bar again in the evening, which was quiet due to the snow. Again, the food was good, service friendly and great value. Portions were a good size.

Breakfast next morning was OK - but very little in the way of pastries and cooked meats/cheeses were to order and not out for guests to help themselves. The £15 cost (the advertised price) I'd have had to pay if not included in the deal is a little steep, I'd say.

Check out efficient. We would definitely return on a similar deal but would like to have access to all the spa rooms next time - which should be available if a guest at the hotel AND a treatment is being taken.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 January 2013

Could not fault this hotel. Room, food, staff - all great. Spa area nice and clean, towels provided. We ate in both restaurants and the food was good in both. Highly recommended. Mid week stay is best as the spa is emptier.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 January 2013

we have stayed in this hotel twice and both times were given good rooms very comfortable beds nice and clean.The spa is lovely and relaxing nice for a afternoon chill after shopping in chester .The hotel as lovely grounds and gardens to sit and have a drink or a walk about it as two eating areas both with beautiful fresh food.The breakfast is also very good self service everythink you can think of.Location about 15 mins drive into chester but there is a bus stop outside hotel.This is a really nice hotel for a special occasion we will be using it again thats for sure.

Room Tip: stayed twice on different sides of hotel no problem with either rooms.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 January 2013

These are my personal feelings and each person will have their own view.
Stayed in tons of hotels over the UK, Europe, America and the Far East.
So have a fair bit of knowledge behind me, so fair for me to comment.
Thought it fair to say that as any negative comments doesn’t mean each and every other person will share these feelings towards the hotel.
Check in was simple and fair, apart from the barman who was standing directly behind the hotel receptionist staring at me, Awkward.
Of to my room straight away lovely and warm, can’t complain it was chilly outside so made a big difference to come into a warm hotel room, cosy.
Went for a bar meal, the burger, cheese and cola were all delicious. Thanks
Room was warm, clean and comfortable and cosy, perfect; I was staying in the Standard Double room.
After checking my emails on my bed using the hotels Free Wi-Fi I decided to go to the lovely Steam Room and Sauna which the hotels website and Last minute website show some lovely photos of the steam room and sauna etc, etc.
Both the hotel website and Last Minute state this: All hotel guests have complimentary use of the swimming pool, Jacuzzi, sauna, steam room, gymnasium and tennis court.
Please take note: The photos on both these websites clearly show a lovely steam room and sauna etc, etc.
These are not complimentary they are part of the Spa and costs at least £45 to use.
There is a small steam room and sauna guest can use located next to the pool, but they are small and basic and are not the ones you see in all the hotel websites, the photos you see of the steam room and sauna etc. are part of the Spa and it will cost you.
I was very disappointed with that as I travelled from the M6 from Stafford to use the complimentary steam room after seeing the lovely photos.
Also breakfast in my opinion is a rip off at £15 that’s London prices for a 3-4 star.
You know if you said: £12 I would have paid that but you lost me at breakfast as it’s too expensive.
The third thing that I can’t stand but loads of hotels are like this, not just this hotel nearly all of them have the new electronic locks and when your neighbour leaves at 7am to go on business but you’re staying there to get peace and rest and wakes you up due to the horrible sound of the door banging closes. Can someone please invent hotel doors that close quietly?
It was also lovely to note that there was NO cleaners, or cleaners trolley waiting outside my room like lots of hotels do, it really is the hotels way of saying, would you please hurry up and check out so I can clean your room.
I personally stay in hotels to have a break and rest in peace, This hotel gave me that.
I had my double Decker and a free Nescafe room coffee for my breakfast and waited till I hit the service station on the m6 where I treated myself to a larger lunch, 2 x eggs, 2 x sausages, beans and chips £5.99.
Anyway I hope all I have done is pointed a few notes out to my fellow trip advisors and hotel management.
This is a lovely, warm, quiet relaxing hotel and definitely worth staying at.
Lastly would I come back to this hotel? Most certainly

Room Tip: I had a basic double room, Nice, warm cosy and quiet
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank adamscotland
Reviewed 21 January 2013

We recently visited for the wedding of friends and stayed overnight. All the preparations for the wedding seemed to run very well without any obvious hiccoughs. We stayed in one of the standard rooms which was very comfortable and the bathroom had all the normal requirements. We did not have the breakfast so cannot comment on that but the food and service for the wedding was very good. Would definately recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: The standard room was good value for money although the view from the window was over a flat roof. However, we weren't there in the daylight so it didn't affect us!
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family