“Lovely hotel, good facilities”

Grosvenor Pulford Hotel & Spa
Ranked #7 of 44 Hotels in Chester
Helsby, Cheshire
“Lovely hotel, good facilities”
Reviewed 28 January 2013

We have just spent the night at The Grosvenor Pulford in Chester after a family wedding reception. The hotel has excellent facilities and all the staff were very helpful and friendly. We had a family room which seemed quite cramped compared to the size of the rooms of my other relatives and I paid a lot more for our room than they did for theirs.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (343)
manchester
Reviewed 28 January 2013

Gorgeous hotel, enjoyed a spa day here, was really relaxed and staff were very helpful explaining what happens throughout day! Had lunch & can recommend the thai green curry! Facilities are brilliant, came away feeling really relaxed :)

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 January 2013

We stayed here on a Saturday night and we booked the deal on living social.

It was great value and a lovely clean room.

We ate at Ciro's Brasserie on the Saturday evening and the food was absolutely lovely and not overpriced.

On the Sunday we both had a full body massage at the spa; unfortunately we were not able to use the steam room etc that was in the spa as we had not paid for a spa day. The massage was absolutely brilliant and left us both feeling really relaxed.

Overall an excellent stay.

Belper, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 January 2013

Stayed one night in late January after getting a good double room deal through Olotels,com,which I'd never heard of before.But at £106 for a double it was a bargain.This is the second time we have stayed at this hotel and I still think it's a very good 4 star hotel with great rooms,a spa,a bar and restaurant.The staff are very helpful and attentive.
If I have one groan then it's the lack of veggie options on the menu.Two uninspiring dishes, Lasagne and Risotto.Last time we stayed my wife and I were presented with some veggie that was different.
However the food factor did not stop us having a pleasant relaxing stay and I would still recommend this hotel. Particular if you like your meat!!!

Room Tip: Room 10 is ok but can be effected by noisy guests who do not seem to give a monkeys about being quie...
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 January 2013

We stayed in December for my mums birthday and we had a fantastic night away. There were a few problems with check in, which did delay us slightly so we were later getting to the spa which was a shame, however it was sorted very quickly by Kirsty who was so helpful, really appreciated her sorting our rooms for us.
Nelsons bar is lovely and cosy, food was very nice and reasonable price too. As it was December all of the xmas decorations were beautiful and made our stay so much more special.
The spa is amazing, really nicely done, Its one of the nicest that I have been to. We had phoned through to the spa before our visit and explained that it was a birthday treat for our mum, the lady told us that she would have a birthday goody bag ready, she took my mums name aswell but on the day nothing was ready and that was a shame really as we had to ask. Also after my massage I was told that I could go into the chill out room and relax, I was showed into the room by the therapist but then 5 minutes later I was asked to leave this room by another member of staff because it was only for "spa day" guests and I had only booked a single treatment, that was a shame aswell but on the whole it was a fab night away, we totally relaxed and had a lovely night away. Breakfast was tasty too. I would definately stay again so that says it all.

Room Tip: We had a room at the back of the hotel overlooking the lovely gardens, this was perfect as it was so...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
Ruthin
Reviewed 26 January 2013

That got you hooked to my review, didn't it! Well there is method to my madness, in that The Grosvenor Pulford seems to be run by Pretty Young Girls. Nothing at all wrong with that, I hear you mutter indignantly at your computer screen...and you are of course quite correct. A pretty face in such an establishment that prides itself on the good looks of a spa and beauty hotel is obviously to be expected, but my problem is this. The average age of the staff is 20, fresh out of college and roaming in packs chatting covertly about boys,nails,make-up,etc, whilst the average age of the guest is 50, roaming absent-mindedly around the impossible maze of corridors getting lost and either ignored or at best not properly helped to find anything, or dolled up for a wedding do being told loudly from behind the desk to go out into the snowy carpark to reach the venue room around the corner, or having a spa treatment where the therapist may as well be texting whilst administering the routine, such is the connection between the 2 of you. The point of staying at this type of hotel for the majority of guests is the quality of service, which I consider poor, but I have rated it VERY GOOD because virtually everything else is, in fact, very good - room was very well appointed, great bathroom with fab power shower, exceptionally clean, good amount of tea/coffee/bics etc, and breakfast was extremely fresh & tasty with a vast amount of choice. The final comment is that, upon leaving, the PYG at reception asked whether our stay was all we had wished, to which I politely queried whether our backbreakingly-too-soft-mattress was one we may have swapped for a firmer one in another room?. She was frankly not overly bothered by the fact that I had obviously had an uncomfortable night, and informed us that all their beds were the same. On that fact alone, we will not be staying again. From the point of view of service, the same is true. The fact that the staff are presumably on childrens' wages is an explanation but not an excuse. Please take this on board if you decide to stay.

Room Tip: We stayed in Room 34, an attic room which was lovely as described, but made special due to the weath...
Wrexham
Reviewed 25 January 2013

I must confess, I have never stopped overnight here, as its not far from where I live, but I go there for party nights and for a carvery often. The carvery on a Sunday is second to none, the food is top quality, with usually 3 choices of meat. The party nights are always well organised, and great fun, with no trouble. 10/10

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family