“Excellent hotel”

Grosvenor Pulford Hotel & Spa
Ranked #8 of 45 Hotels in Chester
Reviewed 3 April 2013

We stayed at the Grosvenor Pulford on the 29th March ( Good Friday) DB&B. We managed to get a deal and we were a little apprehensive as to what it would be like. we needn't have worried, this hotel is fab and we were delighted we chose It. The buildings and the theme running through them is lovely. We had an executive room which had recently been refurbished and it was gorgeous. It was very contemporary, light and airy. They certainly are not scrimping on the refurb. The bed was extremely comfortable with feather pillows. The bathroom was beautiful with free toiletries provided and lovely fresh towels.

Food- breakfast was good with plenty of choice and if there was something you wanted cooked to your liking they would do that for you. Evening meal was delicious, about the going price for a steak etc. the ambience of the dining area is wonderful, in fact so good we stayed there on a sofa with a bottle of wine watching the world go by, so relaxing. You can also eat in Nelsons bar. We ordered Irish coffee from there ( Jameson's as it should be) which were very good. It's like a big pub with lots of comfy sofas.

We used both the pool and the gym. The pool was excellent, not many people in there and a good temperature. Although it doesn't bother us I did notice that children are not allowed in the evening so if you want some adult time to get a few laps in you can. The gym was ok but nothing much in the free weights for leg curls etc but my husband got by. The spa made you relax just walking through it and the gardens to the spa are really worth a visit.
We found this hotel to be very clean but the one thing that stands out are the staff. Nothing is too much trouble and everyone seems so happy to be in work, but not in a false way. My only gripe, just little ones is the wifi is a pain because you have to keep logging back in and the sauces for the steak are tasteless. You have to be really picky to find fault though.
We give this hotel top marks and can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: Ask what your room looks out onto at check in if that is a worry for you.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,742)

Reviewed 2 April 2013

A birthday treat booked for me by my husband for the night of Friday, March 15th, 2013. On our arrival the Receptionist was helpful and the Hotel looked warm and inviting as it was freezing out. Our room was in the new wing of the hotel and was perfect, spotlessly clean and has everything you need. We visited the Spa area and spent a couple of hours enjoying the pool, jacuzzi and sauna - again spotlessly clean although the pool could have been a few degrees warmer but was fine once you were in. We choose to eat in a pub in the village five minutes walk away which was lovely. Breakfast was a buffet style but this was fine as you were served tea and coffee at your table and just means you get to choose exactly what you want. This hotel is a real treat really can't fault it in any way.

Thank gaynor gumdrops... l
Reviewed 2 April 2013

I was very pleasantly surprised on arriving at the hotel. The buildings and decor were lovely; the staff fabulous; the room almost everything I could want (see below); the food well above expectations; the leisure facilities good with great atmosphere; and the Spa treatments lovely.
We stayed on a Sunday night DB&B where we could either have the carvery in the "brasserie", or eat in the bar with a £25 allowance towards food. We chose the bar as we do not particularly like carveries. The food was excellent bar food - good choice, good quality and plently of it. We could not spend the £25 without bursting - and I can assure you, we tried!
Now the bad parts:
The bed was very comfortable, but only a standard size and it is a very long time since I slept in a 4' 6" double bed with someone else so I didn't get much sleep!!! Don't get me wrong, the room was well equipped, good decoration etc, but had I known the bed size, I would have upgraded to a room with a larger bed and it would have been perfect.
The "Spa" and the "Leisure Facilities" are seperate, but next to each other. Access to Leisure facilities (pool, sauna, steam room and jacuzzi) comes free with the room. The Spa is extra. I needed to waste a morning so decided to have a massage and laze around!! I was persuaded to have a "Spa Experience" which would also include access to the spa rooms, and lunch, as well as the massage. The lunch was superb, however, what use is accesss to an area which has lots of lovely treatment rooms when I am not having those treatments?? The only additional areas I could access was a beautiful Japanese garden (max temperature had been 2 degrees for some days so going outside a definite no no), a hammam that was not even warm, and a relaxation room. Had I paid for the lunch and used my own hotel room to relax in, I would have saved about £20. Not a lot, but it did make me feel a bit irritated.
Overall however, a lovely place to stay and I would defiinitely return.

Room Tip: As about bed size if it is important to you!!!
Reviewed 1 April 2013 via mobile

Stayed her as was part of wedding group. Rates were really reasonable as was the cost to have breakfast. Rooms were lovely especially the more grand ones. Staff on reception were really polite & helpful. Wedding was amazing as was food. Only criticism I could give would be the plugs too far from bed. Couldn't charge phone & play on it. Oh & free fast wifi was great.

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank UkPeteD
Reviewed 29 March 2013

Recently, we had a family bereavement and had to find a hotel in a hurry in order to attend the funeral. Pure luck landed us in this beautiful hotel. It is very hard to pick the best feature because the service was beyond outstanding; every single staff member was friendly, courteous and helpful; and the building itself was delightful. A huge oak door leads into a panelled bar area complete with blazing open fires; there is a courtyard area complete with trickling fountain, and the tranquil gardens were a great comfort to us, despite the cold.

Due to the circumstances we weren't as organised as we would normally be; one of our party forgot her swimming things, but a brief word with the staff of the Spa resulted in a choice of swimsuits offered. I've been in far more expensive hotels and been charged for the Spa facilities; this was entirely free and surprisingly, was not at all crowded. We ate in the restaurant; as it was Sunday the main course was a carvery but there were alternatives and a variety of starters and desserts. The food was delicious. It was Mother's Day and so the mothers in our party were given free bath bombs from the Spa range. The same range is used for the extensive array of toiletries in the rooms and is sophisticated and luxurious. This hotel should be lauded as an example of excellence; it really could not have been better.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Janie M
Reviewed 29 March 2013

We had a great stay at the Grosvenor Pulford. The hotel has a great atmosphere and a super bar/pub attached which serves good quality food. We tried their burgers and were very impressed with the quality. There are comfortable and relaxing armchairs and corners to hide away in. Unfortunately we did not have time to try the restaurant but it was Italian themed and very inviting.

Our room was in the conservatory which, on a cold evening, was rather chilly. When we opened the door to our room though, it was lovely and warm. It was a good size and nicely furnished, if a little old fashioned; the bed was comfortable and I had a good rest. I liked the bright turquoise bathroom tiles and the toiletries were excellent.

When exploring the hotel we found the beautiful Japanese garden. It was really wonderful but a bit to cold to enjoy with what felt like a sub-zero windchill. Next time I stay, when I have enough time I'll definitely try the Spa and pool.

The only thing to be a little wary of, is that they allow dogs in the conservatory rooms. Had I known this I would have asked to move. We were woken by the yapping of two dogs at 6.30am - not what I had hoped for! The owner then proceeded to walk the dog outside our room so we were subjected to more barking.The receptionist said that if we had called them they would have responded but that doesn't really help when you are already awake.

I will try the hotel again because it really is very good but I will give the conservatory rooms a miss!

Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JDbluesky
Reviewed 26 March 2013

My wife and I attended a family wedding at this hotel. We spent two nights in a standard room and were pleasantly surprised by the standard of accommodation and breakfast. We never used the Spa but we did have a quick look and it had impressive decor, however I can imagine it can get pretty crowded at times as it was quite small. Also you should bear in mind that it is a popular wedding venue and as such will have other guests that will be in the party mood, especially at weekends. Prices were a little high as to be expected from this type of hotel, but they were not unreasonable. The ceremony and function rooms were excellent.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms in the conservatory corridor as it can get noisy when guests are returning to their room...