“Absolutely lovely hotel, just one dissapointment”

Grosvenor Pulford Hotel & Spa
Ranked #7 of 44 Hotels in Chester
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Absolutely lovely hotel, just one dissapointment”
Reviewed 6 March 2014

The Hotel in general was absolutely lovely, the room was beautiful, clean, cosy, comfy. The bathroom was gleaming and beautiful. The only downside was the leaky shower, not that we needed to use it because we used the amazing spa pool everyday and showered there. The cosy gown and slippers on the bed were a fab touch and kept me very cosy when lounging in the room. The massive flat screen TV provided hours of entertainment when we didn't want to move from the wonderful heavenly bed. Having to pay £5 each to get the breakfast (that we had already paid for when booking) delivered was a bit shocking. I enjoyed walking around the beautiful grounds. The Mediterranean restaurant was definitely a lovely spot for dinner and a late drink. It felt as if we were abroad when sat next to the stone walls and plants on the brilliant mosaic tables. It is by far the best hotel I have ever been to and would go back in a heartbeat. We only stayed for 2 days and probably wouldn't stay for much longer as I can see us getting bored as there isn't that much to do. I would suggest maybe somewhere where people can go later on at night as all the restaurants and everything close at 10-11pm. As a young couple we do not go to bed so early and would have liked to relax and have a drink a bit later than that. And there is nowhere at all nearby to go. Just before we left I decided to treat myself to a massage. I have never felt so amazing. Everything about the experience was perfect and I would definitely recommend the spa by Kasia to anyone. I was not so fond of Nelsons Bar. We went there for a drink on the first night and it was okay, we got some chips and bread which were lovely. The chairs were extremely uncomfortable. The next night we went there again, unknowing that we had to book a table, as we had not been told this. We sat down at a comfy table but were moved to the same table as the night before with the horrible uncomfortable itchy chairs. We then proceeded to order a burger each and paid. After waiting a while food finally arrived, the only brought us 1 burger claiming "we thought you wanted to share". That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. There was 2 of us, both out for a meal, we are not going to share a burger and we quite clearly stated that we wanted 2 when we ordered. After my boyfriend sat there and ate alone, my burger arrived late and we were also handed another bill after having already paid. Apparently we weren't charged the right amount at first but why should I have to pay for the restaurants mistakes. It was definitely not a very good meal and the food was very overpriced for the quality. Overall, the hotel was wonderful and beautiful but I would suggest otherwise if you are thinking of eating at Nelsons.

Room Tip: The more you pay the more impressed you will be but they are all faultless.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank EKP10000

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (341)
Oldham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 March 2014

We arrived and were greeted by helpful reception and pointed towards our room which was on the ground floor overlooking the Spa Sensory garden. The garden looked lovely however our view was obscured as there were a couple of empty pint glasses left on our window sill. The room had everything we required and was clean.
Dinner was in choice of the Nelson bar or the mediterranean bistro. The bistro was only serving a roast dinner as it was Sunday, this was lightly disappointing as I heard the mediterranean food was good. We ended up having the roast dinner which was delicious, there was an option of three meats (you could choose all three) and a large choice of vegetables, Yorkshire puddings and accompaniments. The only negative was that the roast potatoes were very hard. The initial drinks order took over 20mins to arrive. We sat by the window over looking the terrace and the atmosphere was lovely (sit here if you get the option). The tables/chairs closer to the server did not look as comfortable and slightly "canteen" style rather than restaurant style.
Luckily for us the next morning we woke early, as at 8.30am maintenance work was being carried out and there was a lot of banging for at least a couple of hours. No warning was given for this from the reception staff. This would have annoyed me if I was wanting a lie in.
Breakfast was ok.
The spa facilities are lovely but not enough loungers (4) for the amount of people attending. Spa treatments were excellent and would definitely return to the spa again. Staff very professional.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Haydock, England
Reviewed 4 March 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for the 6th time for my partners 40th birthday & we where not disappointed yet again. Fantastic hotel with lovely helpful staff especially Hayley on reception. Our room was amazing & made our stay better than we thought it would be. Ciro's restaurant was as lovely as ever. We will definitely be returning AGAIN soon

• Stayed February 2014
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 March 2014

My partner and i decide to have sunday lunch here.
The female staff were most helpful shame that One of the Male staff members wasn't so helpful.
We were left for ages we had to get up and go and ask for more drinks.
There was a 20min queue for food but worth the wait the chef was very friendly and helpful with a big smile and a bit of banter with the customers.
We had to get up for bill again.
The actual hotel is lovely here i stayed over night last year.

Spa looks epic too.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
clitheroe
Reviewed 1 March 2014 via mobile

This hotel lived up to our expectations. A one night stay to recharge the batteries punctuated by shopping in Chester.

Fantastic place. Executive room was very well appointed save for a mirror for my wife to sit at comfortably to get ready for dinner.

Spa was busy, but not overcrowded. Lounge area was just what we needed to relax and read a book.

We chose the gastro pub to eat - Nelson's. Environment was relaxed. Food was very good.

Enjoyed the full English breakfast to set us up for day two in Chester. The park and ride was situated less than 10 minutes drive away and was perfect for our shopping trip.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 February 2014

I surpirsed my boyfriend for his birthday by briging him here for a relaxing spa day, and we defo got this! From the moment we arrived the staff couldnt help us enough made us both feel very comfortable and relaxed. After our hostess Laura had shown us around the spa i made my way for my facial whilst my partner went for a swim. Kirsty who did my facial was excellent made me feel very relaxed - i didnt want it to end. The swimming pool, sauna, steam room, jacuzzi are all well maintained and kept to a very clean standard. We had a two course lunch here mid way through the day, again all the staff in the restaurant were most pleasant and helpful, the food was amazing. My partner had his massage after lunch whilst i went into the snooze room for a read of my book, again all areas are immaculate, Laura came in there to see if i needed any assistance or water - which i thought was a lovely touch. All day all of the staff especially Laura kept on asking if we was having a nice day if we needed any help etc. This place is amazing, well worth the money and surprise. The staff make the place, we cant understand how anyone could leave a negative comment? We will most certainely be returning to the spa very soon! We would both like to thank all the staff at spa by kasia for giving us a lovely, relaxing day!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Charl1986
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 February 2014

I have been to the Spa by Kasia on a number of occasions and it just gets better and better with every visit. The decor is incredibly soothing and there are lots of places to sit and relax. The restaurant is lovely and food very good - especially the afternoon tea. The pool, jacuzzi, sauna and steam rooms are great too, and the outdoor Japanese garden is gorgeous - even in winter as you get big snuggly blankets! And last but definitely not least, the staff are friendly and helpful and really do make your day special.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends